It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• On the Verge of giving up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
    BzzeBee
    (female)

BzzeBee HB User
    On the Verge of giving up

I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism since I was 15 years old. And I have been fortunate enough to experience some of the "low end" symptoms such as hair loss, weight gain and palpatations.
    Lately I have been experiencing ALOT of unusual symptoms such has, CONSTANT dizziness (everyday, standing up, laying down, walking), Heavy Head or pressure behind the head, on the neck and in the area between the eyes (3rd eye) area, Shortness of Breath, Rapid heartbeat, Mild Ear pain, Anxiety/Panic and on occasion nausea.
    I have been in and out of the Emergency room since July 15th a total of 13 times and not one doctor can tell me if there's anything wrong with me. So far, Catscans are normal, EKG/normal, nothing wrong with my blood and thyroid is only a little bit off (which I am taking medication for). Now usually I would think maybe it's an anxiety disorder, but as of lately my fiance is starting to experience the same symptoms out of no where...which makes me think that maybe it's viral.

Anyone have any of the same symptoms? I understand that not everyone has a PhD but maybe I can get it out of my head that I'm going to drop dead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: On the Verge of giving up

If you've had blood work done since July 15 could you please post the results along with the "ranges" so some of our more knowledgable members on the board could take a look at them and hopefully provide you with some direction?

You should have received a copy from your doctor when last tested. If not, call and tell them you're coming by for a copy. You are entitled to the results and they are supposed to provide them.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 09-17-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Yes, definartely get copies of your thyroid lab test (by law they have to give you copies if you ask for them).

Being a "little off" could actually meant you are way off (because there are new "nornal ranges" that many doctors still do NOT use).

Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
    mbsauder1
    (female)

mbsauder1 HB User

I've been feeling dizziness, and lightheadness also.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I had all those symptoms when I was diagnosed and before my meds were optimized. I think the anxiety is the big kicker. I seriously thought I was going to die as well and was at the ER twice thinking I was having a heart attack and then a stroke. The highest my TSH ever got was 7.1 and I know some docs would only consider this 'a little off'. But it made me one sick puppy. Post your labs, that will help.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Were you ever diagnosed or tested for Hashi's or are you just hypo? Also what medications are you on for your hypo? As you age and get older your body requires adjustments. My endo says Hashi's can develop at anytime in hypo's and often occurs in conjunction with hormonal fluxes like puberty in hypo children and pregancy of the second decade metabolism shift (around 25 in men and women). When Hashi's manifests it is hard to catch unless the antibodies are tested for.. TPOAb and TGAb. Then you have to wait for thyroid failure before medication.. since you are already hypo.. I am thinking you may need a medication adjustment and that your TSH and T4 and T3 levels are off.

The standard thyroid check my Endo wants me to do is quarterly TSH, FT3, FT4.. with yearly TPOAb updates, but I am waiting for my TSH to indicate thyroid failure by hitting 2.5-3. You are hypo and if your TSH is not maintained in the 1-2 range your meds need adjusting. To determine and diagnosis Hashi's for me and rule out Graves the antibody panel of (TPOAb, TGAb) for Hashi's and (TSI, TRAb) for Graves were run.

Hope you get relief soon.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
    BzzeBee
    (female)

BzzeBee HB User

The only thing that came out abnormal on the labs are as follows: (Non Fasting) Things in bold being out of range.

LIPID Panel

Cholesterol Total 182 Range 125-200
    HDL Cholesterol 36 L Range >=40mg/dL
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 5.1 H < = 5.0
    LDL Chol, Calculated 75 normal Range <130 mg/dL
    Triclycerides 354 H Range <150 mg/dL

Iron Total 39 L Range 40 - 175 mcg

TSH, 3rd Generation 3.89 normal Range 0.40 - 4.50 (dont know what this means but at least it's in range)

Here's what scares me:

WBC 14.6 H Range 3.8 - 10.8
    Neutrophils, Absolute 10658 H Range 1500 - 7500 Cells/mcL
    Monocytes, Absolute 1007 H Range 200 - 950 Cells/mcL

Lymphocytes, Absolute 2540 normal Range 850 - 3900 Cells/mcL
    Eosinophils, Absolute 350 normal Range 15 - 550 Cells/mcL
    Basophils, Absolute 44 normal Range 0 - 200 Cells/mcL

I would have been here all night posting the rest so I just posted the out of range tests. I went to the doc for a follow up. They told me I have vertigo. How do you wake up one morning with vertigo? I had an Ear test done - which everything came back normal. The Ear doctor told me I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, before the tests were even started. I'm beginning to think that these people have no clue in what they are talking about so I'm on my way next week to see an endocrinologist, then a cardiologist, then the GYN doc. Wonderful young life huh?

As to one of the posts by ********: Yes the doctor told me I have Hashimoto's disease. I haven't been tested for the same things you have been (doctors here in brooklyn don't care) but the TSH levels came back normal.

The Anxiety makes it worse... but I noticed I only get anxiety when something is wrong internally which is what made me go to the doctors in the first place. Otherwise I would have let it go.

Last edited by BzzeBee; 09-26-2007 at 11:54 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
    georgie04
    (female)

georgie04 HB User

I have had much the same blood results and they were all a result of the thyroid medication not being managed properly - once it got (relatively) under control everything calmed down.

I have also had a horrible vertigo episode - no real answers - but it did go away after a few months and doctor's best guess was that it was viral. That might explain why bf has it too?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Bzz, your TSH may be in the "range" but it is way too high. Your body is begging for more thyroid hormones (that's what a high TSH means). That "normal range" includes the old folks sitting in wheel chairs in the nursing homes. YOu have a TSH like an old lady! You need optimal thyroid levels for someone your age.

MOst endocrinologist now know that... the TSH needs to be between 1 & 2, closer to 1 is better.

Optimal TSH is low, around 1.0!

Your iron is way too low. A ferritin test would be better than this test, but even this test indicates your iron is too low.

Are you on irons suppements?
    What thyroid meds are you on?

Last edited by GCC; 09-27-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Bzzbee,

You sound exactly like me! I went to the er 5 times within the last two months. I am having anxiety and all the other symptoms that you describe and never felt like that before. What I did was stop my meds for a while cause I was on too much Armour. Now with me starting at the lowest dose of synthroid it has taken a toll on me. My tsh was 3.2 last time they checked. I feel horrible right now.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
    BzzeBee
    (female)

BzzeBee HB User

The medications I'm taking are:

L-Thyroxine 150mcg (daily) I take it the first moment I wake up
    Iron Supplements 325mg (daily) again first thing in the morning usually with orange juice

And for the blood pressure: Benicar HCT 40mg/12.5mg.

It makes sense that it could be my thyroid. The good news is I am going to see an Endocrinologist, bad news is it's not soon enough. The thing that freaks me out is the high WBC... but maybe it's stress.

Otherwise I feel ok. I get the anxiety because of my mind going crazy telling me that I might have a seizure because of the high WBC. Every little pain I feel especially on the chest area - it's a heart attack! sooo yeah I just really need to find out whats going on, how to treat it.. because I can't live like this at 27 years old.

By the way: I really do appreciate all of your imput on this. I also hope that I can return the favor one day. Thank you all so much.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

[QUOTE=********;3214004]When Hashi's manifests it is hard to catch unless the antibodies are tested for.. TPOAb and TGAb. Then you have to wait for thyroid failure before medication.. since you are already hypo.. I am thinking you may need a medication adjustment and that your TSH and T4 and T3 levels are off.

Thanks for your post ********, this is an interesting and perplexing juxtaposition when the Hashi antibodies are high, + presence of 'symptoms', + but patients T4, T3 and TSH are near normal ranges. It will be interesting to get some more replies on this topic. If any one has a view or wishes to share information, please post.
    p.s. I too hope these people get some relief from these terrible feelings sooner rather than later,
    Regards, waratah

Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

BzzeBee,

I think you maybe having drug interactions with your synthroid.

It is well known in the pharmacological world that many drugs affect thyroid hormone pharmacokinetics and metabolism (e.g., absorption, synthesis, secretion, catabolism, protein binding, and target tissue response) and may alter the therapeutic response to Synthroid. In addition, thyroid hormones and thyroid status have varied effects on the pharmacokinetics and actions of other drugs.

You are taking iron with your synthroid..
    Ferrous Sulfate - Concurrent use may reduce the efficacy of levothyroxine by binding and delaying or preventing absorption, potentially resulting in hypothyroidism. Calcium carbonate may form an insoluble chelate with levothyroxine, and ferrous sulfate likely forms a ferric-thyroxine complex. Takeyou synthyroid first on an empty stomach.. then wait at least 4 hours to take vitamins and minerals such as iron! It can depress you T4 absorpt over 50%.. meaning you are having to take too high a dose.

Cardiac complications:
    Overtreatment with levothyroxine sodium may have adverse cardiovascular effects such as an increase in heart rate, cardiac wall thickness, and cardiac contractility and may precipitate angina or arrhythmias. In particular let us look at your BP medications and see if there is a possible pharmacological interaction there..

Benicar HCT 40mg/12.5mg... pharmacological side effects:
    All patients receiving thiazide therapy should be observed for clinical signs of fluid or electrolyte imbalance: hyponatremia, hypochloremic alkalosis and hypokalemia. Serum and urine electrolyte determinations are important when the patient is vomiting excessively or receiving parenteral fluids. Warning signs or symptoms of fluid and electrolyte imbalance, irrespective of cause, include dryness of mouth, thirst, weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, restlessness, confusion, seizures, muscle pains or cramps, muscular fatigue, hypotension, oliguria, tachycardia and gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and vomiting.

With BP meds you need to take them alone and drink lots of water. They will purge magnesium and calcium from your body.. increase your triglycerides and cholesterol and there is a possible, but not documented pharamokinetic interaction with TSH suppressors.. thus constant monitoring is recommended. What does this mean? Thyroid patients beware.. because any imbalance tipping you hyper thyroid will result in an increase chance of cardiac events (tachycardia).

You may be able to back down your synthroid dose when you stop taking it with the iron. I am surprised you MD and pharmacist didn't warn you of that one.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
    BzzeBee
    (female)

BzzeBee HB User

No they didn't warn me, and after I've asked them repeatedly about drug interactions. *sigh* this is upsetting that no doctor cares enough to do the research for their patients.

So I'm guessing Synthroid and L-Thyroxine are the same thing? Usually I take the iron and l-thyroxine together so I guess I should stop doing that as well. As for the blood pressure meds, benicar hct helps me out a lot with my blood pressure, which is why I haven't stopped taking it.

I just don't know what to do. When I talk to a doctor about any of this they pay me no mind because I don't have my degree in medicine. I guess I'll ask the Endocrinologist when I see him if he can recommend another form of treatment. I mean, I don't want to just stop taking the meds because I know that will be a lot worse.

As for the cardiac part of it - I get constant palpatations and when I'm laying down my heart feels like it's beating so hard it's going to rip out of my chest... think that may be due to cardiac wall thickness?

Last edited by BzzeBee; 09-28-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

L-throxine is a type of T4 medication.. you need to take it in the morning and your vitamins at lunch and your BP meds with dinner. As to your heart. Get referred to a cardiologist and get checked out. They maybe able to manage your issues with medications. They will be able to tell you how your heart is doing for sure.

I just went through that myself.. for palps and rapid heart beats.. they may prescribe a beta blocker. I realy think you need to jbe tested for Graves, maybe even have an iodine uptake scan? It is possible to have both an Hashitoxicosis is a different beast to treat than Hashimoto's.. cause when you have Graves rare its ugly head T4 medication can cause you to go hyper. It is a curious situation.. but the cardiologist can order the tests you need and will to be thorough.. if you have even the chance of hyper tendencies they need to be controlled. Get to a cardiologiest and tell them of all your issue and stress thyroid as the cause... they have to help you.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread