It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• More symptoms, but TSH is normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User
    More symptoms, but TSH is normal

My endo doctor has told me that my TSH is normal (TSH =1), yet I am still having symptoms. I was initially diagnosed with low Vit. D. My latest labs show that the D levels are now normal, but my ionized calcium is high with normal PTH levels.

1. Hair loss - I noticed that after taking a shower, there is a large quantity
    of hair in the drain. When I blow dry my hair, it falls to the floor and
    sticks to the bathroom walls. There's enough hair that I need a vacuum
    cleaner to clean it all off the floors.

2. periods - I usually have my periods for 7-8 days. It is now 4-5 days and
    much lighter.

3. Dry itchy rash around mouth - I am using hydrocortizone per my GPs
    instructions, but once I stop using it the rash flares up again. It will not
    go away.

4. A while back, I had a cold and used some cold medicine. My heart started
    racing and I was trembling. I thought I was going to pass out. I have
    never had that reaction to cold medicine before.

5. I think I am having problems controlling my blood glucose levels. Diabetes
    runs in my family. I have never been diagnosed with it. 3 hours after
    eating a bagel and drinking a glass of milk, my body starting shaking and
    my heart started racing. I was only able to stop it after drinking a can of
    coke and eating a sandwich.

6. On going bone loss in the jaw. I do not have gum disease. My dentists are
    really throwing their hands up at this one.

Anyway, do any of you thyroid gals have similar symptoms? My doctor doesn't believe in more thyroid testing when the TSH is normal, but in light of my other symptoms, I'm willing to bet that there is something else going on. I know that perimenopause could cause hair loss and changes to menstruations, but I'm wondering about some of these other symptoms.
    I am particularly concerned about the elevated calcium levels and am waiting for my second set of tests to come back. My doctor is rechecking the calcium levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User
    Re: More symptoms, but TSH is normal

I forgot to mention that I also have heart palpitations. No abnormal weight gain or loss. If anything, I am on the thin side.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You need to get a complete thyroid panel run as well as antibodies. I am wondering about a hyper thyroid issue. It ccould be early Graves or just early hyper. Like you something is up. The FT3 and FT4 should be run. TPOAb and TSI are another two good ones to request for your peace of mind. Have you only been tested for the TSH? What about ferritin levels.. not just iron, but ferritin. I would see about getting a full chemical work up and thyroid screening. If it serves no other purpose.. it will be a good base line for when you get older.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User

In the past, my Endo has only run TSH, basic metabolic panel, and Vit D (1,25 and 25). It has only been recent that she ran the ionized CA and it came back high.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
    vamomma
    (female)

vamomma HB User

You might want to get your adrenals checked. Adrenal Fatigue can cause a lot of the problems you are mentioning. The main function of your adrenals is to help your body manage stress. Too much or too little of your adrenal hormones can result in problems with weight, blood pressure, blood sugars, etc. Sometimes simply too much stress in our lives can overwork our adrenals and you can start suffering from symptoms. Sometimes the adrenals become either hyperactive or hypoactive based on a physical problem (failure of adrenals as in Addison's or hyperfunctioning caused by a pituitary tumor as in Cushing's). However, just like thyroid problems, you can suffer from adrenal problems but not have results show up in tests. Typically only the extreme cases are identified. Anyway, just thought I would mention.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User

Thanks for the responses. Is adrenal fatigure something that is recognized by endos.? Is it something you can test for? Doesn't that involve cortisol testing?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
    vamomma
    (female)

vamomma HB User

Well - let's say that the adrenals are part of the body that the endo's manage. They are part of the endocrine system. However, as with the thyroid, you could be sub-clynical (showing symptoms but blood test are "normal"). They typically don't take action until you are either severely deficient (as in Addison's) or severely overactive (as with Cushing's).

Most people probably fall in the middle with simply stressed adrenals. There is a great book you can buy called "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James Wilson. It does a great job describing how stress (whether it be emotional, environmental or physical as in a disease) can impact your body. If anything it can give you the tools you need to express your needs to your Endo.

Alison

Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Do get your ferritin level checked! No other test can be substituted for ferritin. In other words just because your hemeglobin and other iron level test are ok, does NOT mean your ferritin level is ok.

Low ferritin can cause heart palpitations, fatugue, etc.
    Optimal ferritin is between 70 & 90 ( though the lab report will say as low as 10 is "nornal" is it NOT).

Adrenal insufficiency can also cause some of the symptom you listed. Hyper thyroidism can cause adreal problems and blood sugar problems too.

I hope you find out what is wrong. Good luck.

Closed Thread