It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Is the TSH Suppressed Thyroid Hormone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User
    Is the TSH Suppressed While On Thyroid Hormone?

Hi All,

I'm curious. When someone is taking Thyroid Hormone does it actually suppress the bodies ability to create TSH on its own or just helps the TSH alone?

I guess what I'm asking is while I'm taking 50mcg of Synthroid does my body loose or forget how to make TSH and rely totally on Synthroid for TSH production?

Thanks

~Dee

Last edited by dcdrogers; 09-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Is the TSH Suppressed Thyroid Hormone?

You don't need TSH for anything other than to stimulate the thyroid to pruduce thyroid hormones.

TSH = thyroid stimulating hormone, it is a pitutary hormone. It works on a "loop"...when the pitutary detects low thyroid hormones in the blood, the pitutary produces more TSH (to tell the thyroid to produce more thyoid hormones).

Taking oral thyroid hormones will supress the TSH (how much depends on the dose of meds).

If you stop the thyroid meds, the TSH should increase (trying to get the thyroid to produce thyroid hormone again). (and if your thyroid can't produce enough thyroid hormone, it will probably get too very high).

The pitutary gland can't tell if the T3 is too low. In other words; if you only take T4, (and your Free T3 gets too low) the TSH can still be supressed and found to be low.

Taking T3 meds (Armour or Cytomel) can supress the TSH to 0 because of the T3 in those meds is so fast acting. So testing the Free T3 and FRee T4 are better indicators of thyroid levels than the TSH.

The only thing TSH does in the body is stimulate the thyroid & it is a pitutary hormone.

Last edited by GCC; 09-18-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Is the TSH Suppressed Thyroid Hormone?

Technically, it's the hypothalamus that senses the amount of circulating thyroid hormones. It releases TRH (thyrotropin releasing hormone) in order to stimulate the pituitary to make more TSH, or it slows production of TRH to decrease TSH, depending on whether there is too little circulating thyroid hormone or too much.

When the body is supplied with hormones from a pill, the thyroid gland frequently slows its own production of hormone, which interrupts the feedback loop and causes the pituitary to slow or stop its production of TSH.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-18-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread