It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyperthyroidism??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User
    Hyperthyroidism??

Well, for many years of complaining of fatigue and some other issues (anxiety, tachycardia, palpitations) they have tested my TSH and it is always very low but in the "normal" range. One year ago it was .77 and two weeks ago it was .37. In the past couple years I have gradually been having other symptoms that are greatly interfereing in my life. I am so exhausted I cannot function at times. Insomnia has started as well. Plus several other symptoms. My Dr still says my thyroid is fine because it is in this normal range. They gave me Lexapro - an anti depressant - after I gave them a list of physical symptoms I am having. I am now seeing a pharmacist/nutritionist who specializes in hormonal and whole body treatments/testing. She says my thyroid is way too low. She is going to talk to my Dr about further testing on the thyroid, cortisol and insulin. Hopefully he will agree but I guess most Drs around here are hard headed about ordering these tests.

What I am wondering is this - if I were hyperthyroid - wouldnt I be LOSING weight? I am actually having a FREAKISHLY difficult time losing abdomen weight. I have had an exercise and diet plan for a long time now without losing any weight. We are baffled at this.

Also, what types of treatments are there for hyperthyroidism and what are possible side effects of the treatments? Can it ever be treated naturally (supplements, foods, etc...)?

Thanks so much for listening. It has been a very frustrating and confusing road and I just want to feel better.

Heather, 33

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
    Graves54
    (female)

Graves54 HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism??

I have had Graves hyperthyroidism and took propylthouracil. There is also another drug for thyroid suppression.

Midwest has said all you need to know. Prompt treatment is very important.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism??

I spent 25 years trying to find an answer to my hyperthyroidism with a normal TSH. It's rare, but it is a possibility especially if you are experiencing signs and symptoms of hyper. Like midwest said, you need your FT4 and FT3 tested. Those may be more revealing. I start feeling minor symptoms when my hormones reach the top of the range.

Closed Thread