It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• HELP NEEDED!! Once again I have a question regarding NEW labs???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    HELP NEEDED!! Once again I have a question regarding NEW labs???

Hi all~

Once again I am here with questions.

And as most of might know I had RAI treatment for Grave's back in Feb of this year. And was put on replacement therapy and now monitoring. I was feeling HORRIBLE (well actually I NEVER have felt great) but I started to feel really bad again so I called endo and he sent me for new labs. I am waiting for a call back from him but he is usually so busy that it may take a few days. But I was able to get my lab results and this is what they show...

ANY info would be greatly appreciated. And does it look like I might be heading hyper again?? Or does TSH even matter anymore at this point since I was treated with RAI?????? My FT4 level is kinda high also. Ok anyways here we go.. This is what labs show now..

TSH- 0.09 ( .40-4.50)
    FT4- 1.5 ( ??- 1.6)

Thank-x once again for any help I can get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: HELP NEEDED!! Once again I have a question regarding NEW labs???

As thyroid tissue dies off, it releases its stored T4, and it's possible for that to go on for up to 2 years following RAI.
    I'm not sure what they do about it. I guess the standard hyperT protocol of beta blockers and perhaps AT drugs?
    Hoping it won't last very long for you... mw1

Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

U know now that I think more about it I can totally tell when things start to really go crazy for me.... And also my neck will become really sore even when I touch it and then I get strange ear ache pains and neck pains and then my eyes start to hurt and then the mental stuff starts as well. My anxiety level shoots up and I start feeling more muscle aches, tired, stomach pains, etc... This thyroid stuff sure is a mess.. Sheesh....

Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Did your MD run a FT3? T3 concentration can make a big difference as to the symptoms you experience. If it is too low one often feels various symptoms to make you just.. BLAH!

My T3 fluxes low to middle right now so I a waiting until it hangs low.. oh darn it! That just got my son's "Do your ears hang low?" song stuck in my head. Ack! Your TSH is low but certain drugs supress it.. so you may be slightly hyper and ou can ask about what is it my Aunt just started two weeks ago.. it was discussed on here.. Gads..

L-carnitine.. I was thinking too much of carrots..

L-Carnitine's effects are related to its ability to inhibit the entry of both thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronne (T3) into the cell nucleus. This is important because entry into the cell nucleus is essential for thyroid hormone to cause the effects commonly associated with hyperthyroidism. In clinical observations, L-carnitine reduces effects in both mild hyperthyroidism and in the severe form of hyperthyroidism known as thyroid storm. L-carnitine is best absorbed when used as a supplement containing L-acetyl-carnitine. L-acetyl-carnitine is available at most health food stores, and is effective for treating hyperthyroidism related to Graves' disease, toxic multinodular goiter, and the excessive use of thyroid replacement hormone.

She started this in conjuntion with her AT - Tapazole. She is taking as low a dose as she can.. 2 grams and it is helping with symptom treatment since her MD is happy with her thyroid levels.

Always check with you MD about adding OTC supplements to your drug regime.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Haha about the song! I know exactly what song you are talking about also. LOL...

I will check with my endo for sure. He actually is really good so just waiting for him to call also. What I was not 100% sure on though is if the low TSH really matters at this point since I did the RAI treatment??? That is the part I am not sure about. THe FT4 hormone is kinda high and maybe a tad bit high for me not sure. I feel both hyper/hypo symptoms...

I asked my dr last time I saw him if we could test the FT3 levels but he said something about if it was low something else would be low?? Can't remember exactly what he said. I STILL think we need to test my FT3 level and will push for him to test it when I see him again in Nov. That might just be my problem. Sometimes even though these dr's are good they still need to listen to us the patient!

I had my yearly pap done the other day and was discussing with that dr who I am seeing for my graves disease treatment and when I mentioned the dr's name he was impressed. He said oh yes I know of him and his family. He is a very good person and good dr. And his whole family is very good people also and well known thru out the community for different jobs that they do. So that was comforting to know that other dr's in the community respect him and think he is the best dr around!! He actually said he is the best in the country. heehee... But it was comforting...

Closed Thread