It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid surgery and problems with calcium? Can anyone help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
    lla99
    (female)

lla99 HB User
    Thyroid surgery and problems with calcium? Can anyone help?

Hello, I had a tt last thursday and was discharged friday. When i left the hospital my calcium level was 8.0 (8.6 right after surgery). My doc said that it was a little low but nothing to b too concerned about. Then Saturday i started having trouble with my hand, mouth, and feet feeling funny. I went to the ER and the level was 7.3, they gave me calcium pills and sent me home. On monday when i went to see him he did a level and it was 8.0 he went ahead and readmitted me to the hospital for calcium in the iv. soon after the iv the level went up to 8.8 but when he released me the level was 8.3 but i was feeling better with no symptoms. Soon after leaving the hospital i was feeling sick again, went back up for caclium level and it was still 8.3. he is going to put me in the hospital outpatient in the morning for more ivs with calcium to get my levels back up. is this normal? how long does it take for these levels to go back up? he said that he had bruised my 2 parathyroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Thyroid surgery and problems with calcium? Can anyone help?

Sometimes during a thyroidectomy, your parathyroids can be damaged. Occasionally, a person will get a temporary situation where the parathyroids are "shocked" and they shut down temporarily. Sometimes, it is a permanent situation and you end up having to take large doses of prescription strength calcium (usually Rocalcitrol) all of your life.

This is one of those risks of thyroidectomy. I hope your doctor was clear on these prior to the surgery, I know mine was. My surgeon had me do a calcium test a few days after surgery whether or not I had symptoms because this happens often enough.

Hopefully your parathyroids will wake up in a few days/weeks and you will be fine.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User

Hi! Not to be a downer, but had my TT in June 06. Took a para thyroid out and then reimplanted it. To this day, I have diagnosed with hypocalcemia. So I have to take calcium and precription Vitamin D. Definately one of the side effects that can happen after surgery. I know, I was like you at least one month post op. Was in the endo's office every other day for labs, med adjustments, etc.

Thanks!
    Kathy

Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
    lla99
    (female)

lla99 HB User

yes, the dr did tell me that i might have problems with my calcium after the surgery. I am now little over a week after the surgery. I take 4 (636 MG) calcium pills a day and have had 2 calcium ivs the pills alone are not keeping the levels up. i had a iv on thursday level was 8.0 before leaving after the iv was finished they did my levels and it was 9.4. but friday it was back down to 8.4. my arms are so bruised from ivs and blood draws. has anyone had this much trouble?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
    jlcgwu0811
    (female)

jlcgwu0811 HB User

Unfortunately I have also had similar struggles with my calcium levels. I still have all four of my parathyroid glands but they still aren't working very well. I'll be a year post op at Thanksgiving. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days after my surgery. I'm now on massive doses of calcium and Vit D. I didn't have to have it IV but that's because I didn't really want it. I prefered to take the pills. At first I was taking 3600 mg of Calcium every 2 hours to keep my levels up. I do have to say that they are better now. Last check was about 8.3 which is ok for me. All I can say is I hope it gets better for you like it has for me. Good luck

Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
    lla99
    (female)

lla99 HB User
    Re: Thyroid surgery

Hello. i went to the dr today and he said the pathology report said i just had hasimotos, no cancer, so that was some good news. i had another iv of calcium level was back to 8.0 he also bumped me up to 2 pills 3 x a day hoping that will keep it up. get to go back to work tomorrow so i hope im ready. After the thyroid is removed does that help regulated the dosages or will the dr still be changing my meds? And another question that confuses me about hasimotos, if the disease is killing your thyroid why do you still have troubles with it?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Can anybody tell me what kind of symptoms any of you had with calcium issues please especially those who are still having problems months later? (I had tt july was calcium infused (drip) given a pill before l went home surgeon said he likes things to go back to normal without too much help was tested a few eeks later by endo never heard anythign back he said he would ring if there was a problem) been feeling grotty l;ots of stomach pain twitchy muscles in face esp at night. Cheers all x

Old 09-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
    lla99
    (female)

lla99 HB User

With my calcium trouble i could tell when it was below normal range. i would start feeling tingling in my hands, legs, and mouth, muscle spasms in the my legs.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
    Happynaz22
    (female)

Happynaz22 HB User

I had thyroid surgery a year ago and ended up without any parathyroids and now I am hypocalcemic. I spent two weeks in the hospital when it was only to be an over night stay. What a nightmare this has been. I have had several tetany seizures (muscles freeze up including the face) that are very painful and have to be rushed to the hospital for calcium gluconate drip. I have to take at least 1200 mg of calcium a day and calcitriol (vitamin D). I have been able to keep out of the hospital but come close on occasion. Stress depletes calcium so I have to take more when I am stressing. I have muscle aches and spasms. I also have tingling arms and feet. I have so many symptoms I am not sure if they are related to no thyroid or no parathyroid. Doctors have a hard time figuring out what to do with me. I hear that Forteo is working wonders for hypocalemics but is not FDA approved for us, only people wit hOsteoperosis. I take 500 mg of calcium every 6 hours and 1 Vitamin D a day in the morning (2 every other day - morning and night). This is helping me as much as can be helped. Do not take too much calcium as it will only leave your body through your kidneys which is not good for them. Your body can only absorb 500 mg at a time. It has taken me a year to get it under "control" but it is constantly on my mind as you can't FORGET to take it. I think that is what drives me the craziest ...watching the clock. I hope this has helped and keep me posted on your progress. Hopefully soon they will make the PTH we need. God Bless!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi again as far as lm aware l was left with 2 parathyroid glands after my surgery l can rememer the surgeon saying he saved 2.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
    lla99
    (female)

lla99 HB User

hi. there. yes i am feeling much better. maybe those parathyroids have finally decided to wake up. It seemed like i went from one problem to another. I go back to the doctor on Friday to make sure i am getting enough calcium. I do have one question? After having a TT does that take care of the hashimotos?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
    Molly93
    (female)

Molly93 HB User

Hey,

If you mean by 'taking care of' that you no longer have hashis.. well..
    you have traded your hashis hypothryoidism for a hypothyroidism that is caused by not having a thryoid.. and by some accounts it is easier to keep your levels level because you are entirely dependent on the drug and your thryoid will not change your levels by shooting out different amounts of thyroid hormones..
    But may still have the anti bodies that show you have hashis for several years.. but the anti bodies do not affect how you absorb your medicines.

Glad your parathryoids picked back up. Have hypoparathyoidism is much harder to regulate that hypothyroidism.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi there yes l only have 2 left he told me he managed to save 2. Well ended up at docs again today (was there Tuesday due to stomach probs ongoing but getting worse since lve had the TT always been put down to stress! There listening now!) Yesterday afternoon l was goign about my normal house work when out of the blue l had palpatations like never before these were really really bad they were deep and strong and slightly high up in my chest they were non stop when l spoke my voice was a mumur they took my breath away l rested and they died off and as soon as l walked about they started again. Id heard iof they leave you breathless that you should seek help. So seen my own gp today lve to go to hosp in morning for a ecg he mentioned maybe arrithymas? sorry for typo or infection causing it so lm having wbc, thyroid and bone profile done. Tuesday l had a wbc done to check for anemia and l had to do a stool sample yuck lol to check for that stomach bug helico pyloria or something like that sorry about typos.. so l feel pretty drained right now last night l was exhausted and the things l wanted to say never come out right lm sure most of you have done this before but this was different l knew what l wanted to say but was stuttering almost and the words wouldnt come out! I dont know what the hells going on with me right now but its a pretty lonely place lm feeling lm at at the minute just glad we have this board! Will keep you all updated thanks guys for your help xxx

Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
    parcarp
    (female)

parcarp HB User

Hi all,

I was told by my endo that even though I had a partial TT that even if I had a total, I would never be rid of Hashimotos......It is totally under control now, but I never heard him say I would ever be rid of it.....just controlled...

Paulette

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi Happy x sorry l never replied earlier.. l never got an email notification that someone had replied here grrrr... was just browsing the pages and was re-reading this thread when l see you had replied. Havnt had any results yet going to ring tommorow and see if anythings back. Fingers crossed them horrible palpatations havnt started up again!! Boy they were weird and scary.. l just ignore them usually but these ones there was no way you could when they were sucking the breath from you! Any way will report any results back on to the board...asp. Take care all xxx

Closed Thread