It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low hemoglobin...does hypo-T affect hemoglobin levels?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User
    Low hemoglobin...does hypo-T affect hemoglobin levels?

I tried to donate blood today and was rejected due to slightly low hematocrit.

Is there a connection to low hematocrit and hypothyroid? I've never had low hematocrit before.

Last edited by Clarissa234; 09-20-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: Low hemoglobin...does hypo-T affect hemoglobin levels?

A lot of folks with hypoT also have low ferritin, which can lead to low CBC results. Talk to your dr about getting your ferritin tested (not just iron).

Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Labs from March were:
    W Blood Cell 7.4 (3.8 - 10.8)
    R Blood Cell 4.0 (3.8 - 5.10)
    Hemoglobin 13.1 (11.7 - 15.5)
    Hematocrit 37.4 (35.0 - 45.0)

At that time I wasn't on thyroid medication (didn't know about it yet) and my TSH was 13.70 on that same lab report.

Now I've been on thyroid medication for 5 months and my TSH was most recently 4.2. I just donated blood on June 6th and everything was fine then.

Now suddenly my hematocrit has dropped? I'm wondering if there's any chance this is related to my hypo-T, and how? Because I'm not optimal, but I'm better than I was back then. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Even though you have had the above test, you still need to get your ferritin level checked. None of those are the same thing as ferritin.

Ferritin = iron stores and is not the same as any of the test you had done. (Most doctors do NOT ever test ferritin).

Some things that can make your ferritin gradually get low: hypothyroidism, not eating red meat, heavy periods & donating blood.

These are the symptoms I had when my ferritin was very low, 15 (and my hemeglobin was 12, normal).....shortness of breath, fatigue, fast pulse, I need to rest after taking a shower, heart palpitations. It is said that ferritin below 50 can cause restless leg symdrome and infertility.

OPTIMAL ferritin is between 70 & 90 (though the lab report will call as low as 10 "normal" it's NOT. So you need to see what your level is.

I hope his helps.
    : )

Old 09-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Thanks, GCC, for your explanation.

I don't eat a lot of red meat, I have been having heavy periods the past 12 months, I donated blood already this year and I have hypothyroidism, so I'm an exact match for the 4 causes of low ferritin that you suggested.

My TSH is getting better, my free-T's are getting higher, yet I still have fatigue, I don't sleep well, my hair is falling out (albeit gradually), and I have occasional heart palp's.

I'll be asking for the ferritin test.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi thsi is a very good point i also have low ferritn and anaemia despite being on iron meds for 2 years and having a heavy rion diet im at my wits end it has dropped again my iron is still 10 and im on the liquid stuff with oj chasers and no period inbetween the last test was iron of 12 ????? i dont know what to do next??? cos my thyroid levels are now 0.35?? any advice my ferritin was 50 last xmas and it is now lower than 30 it was 17 in the beggining ive tried everything now im wondering is the iron making me have a very bad tummy and im getting anaemic form the meds im going to a gastro but what the hell is going on love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The following user gives a hug of support to pursie:
    rashmi1966 (09-09-2011)
    Old 09-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Pursie, maybe you should try a different type of iron supplement. I used a slow relesase type and (I think) I was taking as much as 200 mg. a day.

Are you eating enough red meat?
    Are you having heavy menstral periods?
    Donating blood?
    Bleeding from somewhere else?

How many milligrams (mg) in the dose you are taking?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

thanks gcc for you time mate x
    um well i have agood iron diet dont know what you think?? here goes=
    i have a egg in the morn with some raisons or figs nd a bit of oj not to much it plays havoc with my tummy , as its a bit acidic, then i have my tea early with the kids i make sure i have red meat every nite be it spagettie bol or chops or beans oh yes i chew on raw green beans that i grow in my own garden , then every evening i have a big lid full of the liquid iron with the oj in the hope that it gets into my body through the night but i upped my thyroid meds a teeny bit when i went back on a bigger dose and it made me hyper wich in turn gave me the runs!1 i was thinking of upping the iron and the problem it rocks the thyroid boat alot but if im going hyper i guess i have room to have alittle more iron maybe it will take me to a perfect place ??? i do have acid reflux abit i do have black poo either constipated or runny?? i dont know what to do , now i have to go to the gastro man ??? bilmey what do you think gcc i appreciate your input and i know you have knowledge in the iron stuff hope we are cool from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 09-23-2007 at 03:20 AM.

Closed Thread