It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Could stomach ache be from Graves Disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User
    Lightbulb Could stomach ache be from Graves Disease?

I was reciently dx with Grave disease. My endo put me on tapazole, which I havent taken yet. I told the endo that I had no symptoms of graves and didnt feel comfortable taking the tapazole. He told me if I didnt want to take it I didnt have to, but he still wanted to see my in late Oct.
    Its only been a couple of weeks, and Im starting to wonder if maybe I was in denial. My bowel movements have become more and more frequent and I have lost 4 more pounds in the last 2 weeks without trying. It has turned into diarrhea, with very painful cramping. I went to to see my regular doctor yesterday and I was scolded for not taking the Tapazole. She wasent that concerened about the stomach pain. She told me to take Imodium A-D and the Tapazole.
    I know that graves disease can cause frequent bowel movements but can it cause full blown diarrhea and cramping? Its been 6 days now and the Imodium has helped some, but its still there. Could this be a symptom of Graves? Should I just start the Tapazole?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Could stomach ache be from Graves Disease?

yes! By all means dear please take your meds! This is dangerous and doesn't go away by itself. There's always a danger of thyroid storm with hyper thyroid... look that up.it's nothing to play with.You'll feel much better on the meds. The diarhhea will go away.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

Thanks for the response. I guess its time for me to deal with the issue and take the meds. It just seems like Ive read a lot about about people having more problems after treatment... Ill start in the morning

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

OK, so as I was sitting down to dinner tonight and my stomach started hurting again. I ran to the bathroom and didnt actually go, but I just didnt feel good. So I took my blood pressure and it was 140/89. Ive never seen my blood pressure that high, but Ive never checked it when I wasent feeling well. I also noticed that I was shivering like I was really cold, this happens often, but then it hit me could this be tremers. I think Ive been over looking all of my symptoms and didnt even know it. After I saw my blood pressure on the screen I got really freaked out and took the tapazole right then. Ive been checking my blood pressure since the dx of graves and I have never seen it over 100/60. Now Im thinking Ive had this for years!!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey hon....your blood pressure is like mine the 100/60. They wouldn't give me beta blockers cause they thought I'd pass out.is that why the doctor didn't give them to you?They help to lower the blood pressure while your thyroid is being helped by the Tapazole. Usually the Tap takes about 3 weeks to work. The stomach problems should go away if you take it. The important thing about Graves is regular monitoring of levels. Like every 6 weeks at first. Tell your doc you want to be checked (labs) every 6 weeks. If you do this at the beginning it'll help you not to go hypo, which it seems most docs like to keep us Gravians at,they don't realize we feel lousy there, or at least have some annoying symptoms. I remember the chill thing too,I didn't think it was tremors,I just thought it was my levels moving. I'm almost at hypo now, and I still sweat! I feel good except I have muscle pain, which I'm realizing comes with hypo labs.When I'm hyper, I don't have this, but I have a fast heart rate and skipped beats which isn't good for you. Read all the posts on hyper on here and other boards, become an expert, that's the only way to be with this, cause the doctors don't care too much about symptoms, only our LABS!!They usually don't believe the symptoms but how can SO many have the SAME thing?? I feel bad for the truly hypo gals that have so many problems and their docs say"you're depressed, you're crazy, here's a pill for you"(an anti-depressant) The thyroid reaks havoc on the body, but it seems the hypo people feel it more. The hyper people feel better, but their organs and bones can really suffer being hyper. Try to get copies of all your labs and track your levels, where you feel good, where you feel yucky,learn what your labs mean....post them here we'll tell you about what they mean.
    p.s what dose Tap did the doctor tel you to take?

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-21-2007 at 04:27 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GravesGirl73 For This Useful Post:
    cgant (07-08-2012),WHOname (08-26-2012)
    Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

Thanks for the support I think I really scared myself last night, so this morning when I was feeling sick to my stomach again, I checked my blood pressure and it was high again. I called my mother to take me to the doctors, she came and picked up me and my kids. At the doctors office (not the endo) my blood pressure was 160/89 and I was shaking uncontrollably. My doctor said she was glad that I was now taking the tap. She told me that in time it will help my stomach and the blood pressure too. I did ask her about the beta blockers and she told me that it wouldnt be a good idea with the tap, my blood pressure would go too low when the tap kicked in. She assured me that I wasent going to have a heart attack and not to get worked up about the blood pressure and make it worse. She looked over my radio iodein uptake scan in the computer and told me there was no doubt about it, I have graves disease. I cant believe I have been so blind!! I thought being tired was just a part of being a mother, and I really thought that a flutter of the heart every now and then was normal too.
    Well Im on the right track now.. to answer the ? about the dosage and my labs here they are....
    Methimazole (tapazole) = 5mg once daily
    7-30-07 Tpo-ab 1172
    TSH .03
    FT4 1.5

8-24-07 TSH .21
    FT4 .86
    FT3 89
    I think after seeing my levels change for the better after 4 weeks with no treatment it really made me doubt the dx of graves. Wouldnt anyone? The endo tried to tell me it could just be fluctuating, but the scan tells all.
    I have an appointment to see my endo and have labs done again in late oct.
    Wish me luck on my new adventure with graves

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

well 5 mgs is a low dose to start, that's good. It'll help the heart thing. Why wasn't your free t-3 checked too? How about the tsi test? That is usually run with the tpo and other antibodies tests. Anything over 2% is considered positive for Graves. Mine was 109. Normal people aren't supposed to have ANY tsi. I started on 2.5 of Tapazole and then went to 5 after heart issues and stopping it for a couple of weeks, I went hyper again. Now I've been on the 5 for 4 months and am going the other way, I'm at the bottom now. My tsh went from 0.02 to 4.20 in 2 months!I will probably start skipping days next time I lab which is the next route when your levels get too low and the free.t-4 goes out of range. That's the only problem...docs tend to keep you kind of hypo with Graves, and you might not feel that great there either. I have muscle pain in my shoulder I never had before this. Watch for signs of getting hypo while on the Tap...tiredness, muscle and joint pain,cold,gaining too much weight, constipation. You will gain weight on the Tap if you've lost it. I only gained about 10 or less pounds, but I was too skinny anyway. Nothing excessive though should be the norm.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
    Adolph18
    (male)

Adolph18 HB User

Do not stay on Tapazole too long as it can cause Gastrointestional Lesions.

Closed Thread