It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hydrochlorothiazide Effects on Thyroid Tests?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User
    Hydrochlorothiazide Effects on Thyroid Tests?

I keep coming across the following verbiage "Hydrochlorothiazide can interfere with the results of a thyroid test. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using a thiazide diuretic."

I've been surfing, but I'm unable to find out exactly how it effects Thyroid Tests. I have had several Thyroid tests done in the past few months (Thyroid Scan & Uptake, Thyroid Sonogram, Bloodwork), and was sure to include on my medical forms that asks all medications that I am taking (Norvasc & Hydrochlorothiazide).

I am on my 7th day of taking 50mcg of Synthroid and asked my Dr. if it was okay to take it with my Blood Pressure meds in the mornings. She indicated that I shouldn't have a problem.

Does anyone know exactly what effect Hydrochlorothiazide may have on Thyroid Tests and which test it affects?

Thanks

~Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Hydrochlorothiazide Effects on Thyroid Tests?

Here I go again. Looking researching and trying to condense information into laymans terms here:

Hydrochlorothiazide - Clinical Pharmacology

Hydrochlorothiazide blocks the reabsorption of sodium and chloride ions. This will cause decreased Cl and Na in concentrations in the blood. A portion of the additional sodium presented to the distal tubule is exchanged there for potassium and hydrogen ions. With continued use of Hydrochlorothiazide and depletion of sodium, compensatory mechanisms tend to increase this exchange and may produce excessive loss of potassium, hydrogen and chloride ions. This means low K, Cl, in the blood. Hydrochlorothiazide also decreases the excretion of calcium and uric acid, may increase the excretion of iodide and may reduce glomerular filtration rate. Iodine effects or thyroid so beware here. Metabolic toxicities associated with excessive electrolyte changes caused by Hydrochlorothiazide have been shown to be dose-related. Too much of this will cause you to become unbalanced in your essential chemical profile minerals.
    Side effects and precautions:

So first keep an eye out for signs of fluid or electrolyte disturbances, i.e., hyponatremia, hypochloremic alkalosis, and hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia. Warning signs or symptoms of fluid and electrolyte imbalance include dryness of mouth, thirst, weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, restlessness, muscle pains or cramps, muscular fatigue, hypotension, oliguria, tachycardia, and gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and vomiting.

Hypokalemia may develop during concomitant use of corticosteroid or adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) or after prolonged therapy. Interference with adequate oral electrolyte intake will also contribute to hypokalemia. Hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia can provoke ventricular arrhythmias or sensitize or exaggerate the response of the heart to the toxic effects of digitalis. Hypokalemia may be avoided or treated by potassium supplementation or increased intake of potassium rich foods.

Dilutional hyponatremia is life-threatening and may occur in hot weather; appropriate therapy is water restriction rather than salt administration, except in rare instances when the hyponatremia is life-threatening. In actual salt depletion, appropriate replacement is the therapy of choice. Salt lick in other words.

Hyperuricemiaor acute gout may be precipitated in certain patients receiving thiazide diuretics.

There are no signs this drug will interefere with test results of your thyroid medications.. they do not have conflicting analysis ranges. But, the electrolyte imbalancing can effect other stuff in your body and should be tested for regularly. Too low in the minerals such as Ca, K, Cl, Na can cause severe and irreparable side effects if conditions are right.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-21-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Closed Thread