It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Weight Loss Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Weight Loss Question

Hey everyone, I am just cooling my heels for the moment waiting for my ultrasound and follow up for my thyroid nodules and hypothyroid symptoms, and in the meantime, I have a question. For those of you have had problems losing weight, even with sensible diet and exercise, when you went on meds, did the weight start to come off? I am just wondering how much my weight problems have to do with this whole thyroid issue. I realize everyone is different but I was just curious to hear some others stories about the differences they noticed once they started meds, like how they felt, when they started to feel better and when (and if) they started to lose weight.

Thanks a bunch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Weight Loss Question

The South Beach Diet is the only thing that got the weight off of me and has been keeping it off. Medication had virtually "no" effect in helping me to lose the extra pounds that I had put on due to hypothyroidism.

I've had to resolve myself to the fact that I now have a sloooooow metabolism and that I have to assist it with medication and diet.

Very few (if any) have had any success losing the extra pounds once put on medication. For some reason it just doesn't seem to be of any help in that area.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

FREE T3 = metabolism

If and when you get ALL you thyroid hormones OPTIMAL and not just "within normal range" you should have a normal metabolism.

All your thyroid hormones includes ...FREE T3, FREE T4 and TSH.

Most doctors are happy with just getting your TSH in "normal range" & stop there and tell you the rest of your symptoms (including weight gain) are due to some other health problem or something you just have to live with or your fault, etc.

The key here is to get all those hormones levels tested and get them OPTIMAL (NOT just "within normal range").

FREE T3: (NOT total T3 or T3 uptake, you need FREE T3 tested), many doctors NEVER test this & if they do ingore it when it is low. Optimal for this is in the middle to upper part of the "normal range" NOT below the middle of the range. The FREE T3 level is a good indication of metabolism. T3 is the active form of thyroid & FREE T3 is the measurment of T3 that is unbound and avaliable to be used by all the cells in your body. Synthroid is only T4 and you need to get this tested to see if you are converting enough of the synthetic T4 into Free T3.

FREE T4: (make sure it is FREE T4), same goal for this as Free T3...middle to upper part of the "normal range".

TSH: is a pitutary hormone. When this number is high it means that your pitutary gland knows your thyroid levels are low & it is begging for more thyroid hormone. You want this number close to 1.0 (NOT just "within norma range").

Since Synthorid (and the like) are only synthetic T4 the Free T3 level often gets lower and lower over time. You may convert all that synthetic T4 into T3 fine at first and over the years your body may not be converting very well anymore. So it's just as important to get this tested as it is to have the TSH and the Free T4 tested. (unless your objective is to save your insurance company money).

Last edited by GCC; 09-22-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Well, I have optimal FT3, and it's had no effect - by itself - on my weight. It's true that I've made no long-term concerted effort to lose any, but an intense short-term effort did nothing.

I have seen people report easier weight loss on meds, but few - if any - see it just melt away without working at it. My advice is not to bank on losing solely because you start treatment, not even when your FT3 becomes optimized. You'll still have to use conventional methods for losing and hope that the treatment will assist your hard work.

The South Beach and similar low-carb diets are better than many at reducing hypo weight, because hypoT interferes with proper glucose metabolism.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

That's right. OPTIMAL Free T3 should put you on a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD with people who have normal thyroids....NOT make the pounds "melt away".

You will still have to diet like a person with a normal thyroid.

But on the other hand...if your FREE T3 is low, losing weight & keeping it off is unlikely.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Thank everyone, I appreciate your input. I know that starting meds isn't going to just "melt the fat away," however, I have been eating a similar diet to the South Beach Diet for years and have had trouble losing, so I am hoping that by continuing to eat well and working hard at exercising, along with meds to "level the playing field," I will lose more easily.

It is interesting that it is Free T3 that is what controls metabolism, I didn't know that and I will be sure to check out my labs for that and if she didn't test it, I will request it. She ordered so many tests that I just can't remember them all and will have to wait for the results (hopefully next week) I do know that my Free T4 was .71 (.6-1.6) but my TSH was .73 (.04-4.0) for the last set so it doesn't really add up and I am hoping it is not pituitary related.

Thanks again ladies!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

That very low Free T4 with a very low TSH is very odd.

I would definrtely pursue this and find out why the TSH. is so low with the low FT4. (and I would want to know what my Free T3 is!)

Keep in mind that the Free T3 and Free T4 are actual thyroid hormones & that the TSH is just the pititary hormone needed to stimulate the thyroid.

And the low TSH does NOT trump a low Free T4 (and low Free T3).

I think it is the pineal gland that promps the pitutary to produce TSH.

Good luck & let us know what happens.
    : )

Last edited by GCC; 09-22-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
    rootcanalqueen
    (female)

rootcanalqueen HB User

Well, I did lose weight when I first started medicine. (about 8 pounds) But I was also trying at the time. And if I go too long (over a month) without taking the medicine, I start getting bloated and tired. Coincidence, maybe.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
    bookishmomma
    (female)

bookishmomma HB User

Hi there...When I was still hypo before the meds, I was about 10-15 pounds heavier than before I got sick. I ate so healthy and exercised regularly, got enough sleep, practiced yoga, etc. No one, including me, could understand why I couldn't get rid of that extra weight. Once I started the right dose of the meds, my weight did "melt off" in about 2 months (almost 5 pounds in the first week), but since I was continuing my healthy habits I just attribute it to being on that "level playing field." I got back to the weight I should have been all along if my metabolism was normal. I have maintained that weight loss without changing anything else since the end of March 07. Hope that helps!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #10
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

yes i have lost alot of weight this month sinse the tsh has been in the o.s i was 0.79 then i went o 0.39 yes it must mean that the t3 is ok for me cos i have lost without trying to hard im now 8 stone 13 pounds and i was 10 stone so just over a stone im aiming for the 8 but this sounds light for most of you but im only 5ft 3 inches and really petite my face is small and any weigth makes me look horrible with jouls !! rotlfol good luck my t4 was 17 18 ish staying around there and the tsh hovering around the 0.s and the weight has been 5relaly easy to loose can this mean that my t3 is ok on the t4 drug alone i think it might do love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #11
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Wow, thank you all so much for all the replies. It is promising to hear that maybe meds will put me on a level playing field (which I feel I have been off for a very long time) I am not opposed to working hard to lose weight, as long as I see results, you know? It's so frustrating working out, working out, working out and eating right and still - nothing! And then sometimes I will be up two pounds after two days of doing ALL the right things and exercising like a mad woman. Fingers crossed, maybe things will be a little easier sometime in the near future.

Thanks everyone. And I'd love to hear more stories if you have em!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
    georgie04
    (female)

georgie04 HB User

I've lost all the weight (about 38 pounds) that I put on prior to beginning treatment. I have come to the conclusion that nothing by way of dieting or exercise makes the slightest bit of difference to my weight - it seems all thyroid related.

It was a gradual loss - first not gaining (which was a relief in itself), then gradual loss. I have always eaten well, and probably eat better now, so I don't have any aggravating eating habits.

I did get a "jump start" a couple of years after beginning meds when my doctor had me on too high a dose (boy did I lose weight - but NOT to be recommended).

Closed Thread