It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• anyone else feeling emotionally crazy after thyroidectomy surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
    thy76
    (female)

thy76 HB User
    anyone else feeling emotionally crazy after thyroidectomy surgery?

after graves diagnosis when i was 25, i had a complete thyroidectomy (full removal of thyroid gland) three years ago, and i have never felt the same since. i am always slightly crazy - i can't get my emotions under control. docs tell me i'm depressed, etc, but i swear it's my thyroid. i often feel like a raging lunatic: sometimes i'm happy, but often afraid to be left alone. i don't enjoy myself anymore, broke up with my boyfriend, changed jobs, etc, nothing's helped.

thinking about going on armour... just wondering if anyone else has felt this trauma after losing their gland and trusting synthroid + cytomel to regulate a human body. aaargh!

i've tried wellbutrin, prozac, etc but everything leaves me with side effects. i just feel very unstable. "thyroid solution" book talked about other people feeling the same way - would love to hear more if you have your stories.

thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User
    Re: anyone else feeling emotionally crazy after thyroidectomy surgery?

I still have my thyroid, but it doesn't function properly. I'm diagnosed Hashimoto's/Hypo-thyroid. I agree with you, thyroid malfunction (or in your case, removal) can make you feel "a little crazy" when the replacement hormone hasn't brought you back to your optimal hormone level.

I've had a few episodes of it this summer, so I know what you mean. And, added stress only makes it worse.

Fortunately, I'm continuing to work with my doctor to get my thyroid hormones regulated and mine is getting better. I am currently refusing any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication as I would rather have my thyroid regulated without another pill masking my symptoms.

I say go with your gut instinct. If you think it's your thyroid that's causing the mental manifestations, then it probably is.

If all your doctor does is tell you you're depressed and prescribes another pill for it, I think it's time for you to find a new doctor...one that understands you want your thyroid more closely regulated because it's apparently not optimal for you even if your current lab work shows you in the normal range.

Wishing you the best!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Re: anyone else feeling emotionally crazy after thyroidectomy surgery?

Yes, yes, & YES!! LOL.. I feel CRAZY every day it seems. And I never had any problems like that before all of this. I have always been a level headed type of person. Very organized and stead fast in what I was doing or believed in. NOW, hahahahaaa half the time I don't know weather I am coming or going. One minute I SWEAR I am dying and then next I wanna go shopping. LOL. Go figure!!!

I have come to terms to make my mind believe that it is just my thyroid and I am not dying and that the stores really do need my money.

But seriously I also had my dr give me a low dose of Paxil. I took 1/2 of a pill one night and was so out of it the whole next day I swore I would never take another one. My system is very sensitive to medications. I did take xanax for awhile though. ANd I would take 1 pill and cut into 1/4's. LOL. Not sure if that actually was enough to do anything but in my mind it helped with my anxiety.

It will all pass and get better though with optimal thyroid levels so I am told!!

Closed Thread