It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Contraceptive Pill/Thyroxine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    Contraceptive Pill/Thyroxine

Hi,

Does anyone know whether taking the Contraceptive Pill affects Thyroxine? I asked my Consultant (who is a Head and Neck Surgeon) whether it does and he said no, but I have read that you will need an increased dose of Thyroxine if you are on the Pill. Who is right and if it does affect it, how?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fran

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Contraceptive Pill/Thyroxine

I have been taking the pill since before I've been on synthroid, and thuse, it's all been adjusted to it since I started. If you start the pill after you are regulated on hormone, then it's an issue because the estrogen effects the absorption of the T4.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I had been taking Synthroid for years and was doing fine. I then added the birth control pill (Mircette). Within 3 months, my TSH went from 1.0 to about 8.5!! I even increased my Synthroid dose and could not get the TSH to go down. It was interfering very badly with me. Every doctor I talked to acted like I was from another planet. So I stopped taking them.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My Endo said that my low conversion of T4 to T3 is often the result of taking a birth control pill. The first question she asks and under converter (T3 uptake - Lower that normal range) is iff they are on the pill. Then she says.. well that explains it. She doesn't recommend ceasation of the pill but says that in the case of a lower T3 Uptake T3 medication supplementation tends to be necessary to get the body feeling right.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread