It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hot flashes/fever?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
    spyfferoni
    (female)

spyfferoni HB User
    Hot flashes/fever?

Okay, so I was taking thyroid suppressing meds 3X a day and I was feeling terrible. I would have a good day and get a few things done and then the next day my whole body would ache and I'd be sooo tired I could hardly move. I called the DR and she had me go in for some tests and my levels looked good, so she told me to decrease my meds to 2X a day, well I was still feeling crappy so I went down to 1X a day and am feeling Okay, but I have hot flashes about every afternoon and I actually get a fever around 100 degrees. Some days it makes me sick. I have had occasional fevers off and on for the last 3-4 months. Is this normal??? To refresh everyone's memory, I was diagnosed hyper, but my scan came back normal, and I have high anti-bodies. I suspect I have Hashi's, but I haven't gone hypo yet like my Mom and sister. I also gained at least 15 pounds in the last few months since being on the meds. My next appointment is in a few days, so hopefully I'll get somewhere with the Dr---or I'll have to drive an hour for a different endo. My D.O. isn't comfortable treating me.

Tyffanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
    spyfferoni
    (female)

spyfferoni HB User
    Re: Hot flashes/fever?

I'm pretty sure I was going hyper again because on Sunday I got really dizzy in church. I actually lost my balance and had to hang on to my husband. Then I laid down and my son brought me some almonds and string cheese---in case it was a blood sugar thing. It is hard to know what the dizziness came from because although I haven't had proper testing I know I am insulin resistant too. I have 2 sisters that have been on medication for it. I felt a lot better yesterday since taking the PTU 2X a day, but my body is still horrible at regulating its temperature. I get a little bit warm and I get a major hot flash and a low grade fever. I get too cold and it feels like it takes forever to get warmed up again. I've also had a lot of aching in my hips and some in my knees, and I've been getting more charlie horses (muscle cramps)---the worst is when they are in my neck! My muscles are all very tight. Last night was the first time in forever that I felt any romantic feeling for my husband. I am normally a very affectionate, loving wife but the last few months I can hardly stand the man. Normal stuff gets me so mad and I feel like I am cranky and depressed all of the time---mostly because I'm not feeling well and get overwhelmed at all of the work that has piled up while I haven't been well. I have a lot to discuss with my endo tomorrow!

Thanks for listening to my complaining!

Tyffanie

Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Hi Tyffanie,

Sorry that you're having a ruff time of it. This hyper business really sucks at times. Having been hyper for my entire life, I can sympathize with what you're going thru.

Getting to the right dose of ptu can be a little difficult. Once a day dosing on that really isn't enough if you're actively hyper. It wears off. Perhaps cutting it in half and taking it maybe 8-10 hrs apart might feel a little better. Are you taking beta blockers? Those help with the temperature spikes. I almost never run a fever anymore.

When you're hyper, always carry a protein/carb load with you. Nuts are good but get some hard candy or something that will blast your system with some sugar. The hyper can mess with the sugar but it also has a tendency to break down muscle and such cause of the increased metabolism. Hyper can make you dizzy and from experience, I don't think it's always related to sugar levels cause mine can be high as can be and I still feel like I'm going to end up flat on my face. I also hate big open spaces cause I always like to be close to something that I can grab hold of. I'm ok most of the time as long as I'm moving. Can't stand still though.

Good luck with the endo. I hope he has some answers for you.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
    spyfferoni
    (female)

spyfferoni HB User

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever thought about having your thyroid removed or doing RAI? My DH is sooo sick of the ups and downs he wants me to do the RAI and get it over with, but with my antibodies I don't know if that would help the ups and downs, maybe it would be better to remove my thyroid surgically???
    I read a study about woman who had RAI treatment for thyroid cancer had a higher instance of breast cancer later in life. I know they get a higher dose of the radiation than I would, but because of my normal uptake I would need a higher dose to do the job.

Thanks again,
    Tyffanie

Closed Thread