It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thinking of having sleep study, anyone have this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
    mattie75
    (female)

mattie75 HB User
    Unhappy Thinking of having sleep study, anyone have this?

My thyroid test have all come in at normal ranges although I know my body pretty well as I have experienced hyper periods several times over the years-
    Last week my TSH 1.0, T4 10.3, and Free T3 3.16. My antibodies are TPO 173 and AntiThyroglobulin 45. As I mentioned in an earlier post ANA 1:1280.

My TSH has been up and down for about a year. I have not had a TSH this low since the subacute thyroiditis when it was basically non existant.

I first began waking in the early am with an overwhelming panic like feeling with this horrible pit of anxiety in my stomach. After I got up in a few minutes it would pass. Now I am waking several times a night with sweating, palpitations, and fear. Sometimes this is after a vivid dream or nightmare. I am weening off inderal because nightmares were a side effect I read about and also possible drug induced lupus, but have taken it before for hyper symptoms and did not have these effects. I am also experiencing early morning rises in blood sugar. I hate to call my dr. again for fear that she will think I am just nut case and need to get a life, although she has been very understanding.

I have got to where I dread going to bed.

Am I going crazy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Thinking of having sleep study, anyone have this?

Mattie, do you have the "reference ranges" for the T's? We need those to see where in the "nornal range" you are.(labs are differenct & we need to know the numbers your labs uses).

Also, those T's aren't free, are they? Total is the free hormone and the bound hormone added together. (Bound hormone is not avaliable to the cells for use).

Low Free T3 made me feel hypo (and have many hypo symptoms, including feeling "crazy" at times) even when my Free T4 and TSH were optimal.

Low ferritin can cause a fast pulse & restless leg syndrome (that will interupt sleep). Have you had your ferritin tested?

Adrenal insufficiency feels a lot like hyper & can make you feel very anxious etc. too.

Last edited by GCC; 09-22-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
    mattie75
    (female)

mattie75 HB User

I was told they were all within normal ranges. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
    louie112
    (female)

louie112 HB User

mattie, did they check you for thyroid antibodies? for 21 years I only slept for 4 hrs a night then up for 2 and then down for 2. Once on synthroid it really h elped me actually sleep through the night

Old 09-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
    mattie75
    (female)

mattie75 HB User

Antibodies for TPO and Thyroglobuin were both high and have been off and on for several years, but since all other labs normal they are having difficulty knowing how to treat. I also have a small cyst on the right lobe of my thyroid. Sometimes my throat seems to click or crunch (best discription I can come up with) when I swallow and at night. My T4 is at the top end of the range and TSH is 1.0. I think Free t 3 about in the middle. "Several" endos that I have been to think I have a slowly dying thyroid. I did not really think they cared how I felt, just blood levels. One told me to go to psychiatrist. Blood pressure up and down, pulse rates up and down, mood up and down. Also have never had blood sugar issues before. Now sugar a little high also. The dr. who is seeing me now is very understanding and seems to know her stuff and has suggested suppressing my thyroid with total replacement, but the Armour made my hyper symptoms real bad after three days. We are now taking a break from it to get it out of my system and are going to try again possibly starting with a lower dose. I am very chemically sensitive to medications.

Propanolol gave me nightmares. I am weening off it now, although it was for when I was hyper and that seems to have passed for now anyway. You never know when it may return.

Also have had major hair loss and have basically no eyebrows joint and muscle pain and diagnosed with fibromyalgia (all started with difficulty swallowing), but when on the roller coaster it is hard to treat. TSH has been as high as 2.8 and as low as almost undetecable.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have two complete sleep studies done.. the first diagnosed my severe sleep apnea.. then I had sinus surgery and a T & A. Then I needed a post op sleep study. I still have sleep apnea..

My son 4 almost 5 has had a full sleep study.. he has sleep apnea and hypopnea.

My husband has had one full sleep study as well he has hypopnea based sleep apnea.

What questions do you have on a sleep study? I might be able to answer them.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Symptoms sound like low Free T3 to me. It may be "in range" but I bet it is in the lower part of "the range".

I had similar symptoms when my TSH was around 1.0 and they were telling me my levels were fine. I recently got copies of my old medical records and see that my FREE T3 (when it was tested) was always at the BOTTOM of the "normal range". (Even though my FREE T4 was high and my TSH was about 1.0). Now I know why I felt so bad for all those years!

Can you get a copy of your lab reports? If you live in the US by law they must give you copies of your lab results if you ask for them. You have to get the number and the reference ranges & do math to figure out where you are in the range. I bet your doctor considers the Free T's "normal" as long as they are anywhere in the "normal range".

For about 35 years doctors considered TSH to be "normal" as long as it was anywhere in the "normal range". (Many still do!).
    They are still doing the same thing with the Free T's.

Closed Thread