It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Extreme changes in TSH, need advice/ explanation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
    geewiz
    (female)

geewiz HB User
    Question Extreme changes in TSH, need advice/ explanation

I have been diagnosed as hypothyroid for 24 years and have taken meds for that length of time. In the last 2 years the doctor has steadily lowered my dose of Levoxyl down to 1/2 of 137 mcg per day.
    Last lab was 5-07 with the following results: T4 1.2 and TSH 0.13
    Current lab results: T4 0.7 (range 0.6-2.0) and TSH 9.29 (range 0.35-5.50)

What would have caused such a drastic change?

Doctor changed dose to 100 mcg per day.

Any advice or explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Re: Extreme changes in TSH, need advice/ explanation

I don't know about your tsh changes, but you are in PRIME location that some Texas thyroid patients go to see what they say is a GREAT thyroid doctor: Dr. Robinson. He is actually a family doctor, but studied the endocrine system at length. Maybe he could help you.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

How are you feeling?

What is your Free T3?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

One thing that I think of off the bat is defective Levoxyl. Had you had a prescription refill between May and now? It once happened to someone here; she had been using a small town pharmacy and found that because they didn't move much volume, the thyroxine she got from them was sometimes old and less potent... other times it would be fresh. Her levels suffered dramatically as a result.

Otherwise, I don't know of a reason for needs to change so drastically after so long a time.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
    weavers5
    (male)

weavers5 HB User

WOW
    It seems like you may have what I have. Unknow!!!! The doctors are stumped on my huge tsh level swings in such a short time 10 days or less. Is this what you go through??? Or does your tsh change over a longer time spam???

Old 09-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

im a swinger aswell but not as dramatic when they stopped my thyroxine form going hyper on 25 my tsh went from o.o5 to 10 in 10 days my thyroid became swollen and inflammed i had to have antinflamitories it was awfull why did he drop you down thats what caused it maybe go up just alittle till it levels off as you dont want swollen thyroid do you feel ok and also my eyes became red and inflammed and it was really nasty xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkat:ang el:

Closed Thread