It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Huge TSH swings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
    weavers5
    (male)

weavers5 HB User
    Huge TSH swings

In the last 10 months I have TSH swings every week now. I am finding it harder to recover. I have no stability. Last friday was my first time that I felt like a person, but it only lasted for about 8 hours before I had a swing in my TSH again. Believe me when I say The doctors have tried everything. I am not talking about just a few points. I go from high to low and back again with my TSH. I feel like a pin cushion. Is anyone out there have or had this problem??? And I dont just mean once or twice. Help!!!!:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Huge TSH swings

Have you been tested for Hashi's and Graves? My mother had these issues.. I get swings but not as bad. My swings are over seven to ten day periods. I was told til my thyroid dies enough I just have to wait out my symptoms and treat them to the best of medical ability. Also are you having thyroid storms by chance? WHat exactly are the MD's telling you? Have they tested you in the days you feel the swing to confirn it by blood work. It seems a bit quick for it to be a shift. I am thinking thyroid storm (only had one so far.. scary as heck!) or Hashi and Graves war.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
    weavers5
    (male)

weavers5 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have graves and have been radiated two years ago. The problem is that they cant get my thyroid to level out. The thyroid is always in a state of turmoil. It will not stay up or down. It is always swinging wildly. This has the docs stumped as well as me. I would like to say it is a storm but then it will turn right around and drop to nothing. Your quess is as good as mine.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Hi,
    Well mine is beginning to look that way! I also had RAI this last Feb though. And since my TSH and FT4 levels have been all over the board. My endo the last time I saw him said ok see u in 3 months because my TSH was in the 1's and my FT4 level was ok. I was like HUH?? Well sure enough just this last week I had to get blood work done again and I am not even supposed to see him till Nov! And My TSH had dropped all the way down to 0.09 and my FT4 level was at 1.6. So it is really going from high to low for me as well. In May my TSH was at a 29 or somewhere around there.. I am like no wonder I feel like crud most of everyday. It SUX big time! And not sure how much more I can take of this. Uggg....

Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
    ginnie444
    (female)

ginnie444 HB User
    Angry Re: Huge TSH swings

Hi

I have the same thing and it really sucks. I have been to every endo here and no one can seem to figure out the problem. Now they just want to put me on antidepressants and they tried me on depekote for my mood swings I went from a monday at my regular dr appt TSH 1.75 to thurs went to the er for severe anxiety thought I was having a nervous breakdown being hospitalized TSH 8.95. Go figure

Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Do you think you need a second RAI? Or maybe to just bite the bullet and get it yanked? My mother had a partial thyroidectomy to remove her dead half.. the Endo left in her hyper half.. no further treatment was given to her.. ::grumble.. grumble:: over ten years later now I am dealing with my pain in the neck and have got her to start pestering the Endo's about follow up. Her practice closed up shop and didn't notify the patients! I would think they should have to send out a note. Sorry we are no longer in business please consult MD X about continued care.. nope.. just left no telling how many hanging. Sorry mini rant.

My mother's sister next in line has Hashitoxicosis (Graves and Hashi's) They can not get her thyroid to behave and settle so she is scheduled for a thyroidectomy in November. My youngest Aunt has pure Graves.. opted to try AT's instead of the RAI and surgery. So far she is doing well other than one thyroid storm and the monthly pizza binges. Dang never knew a little woman could consume that much. I used to when I was a college athlete, but at forty something.. it is impressive. Have you looked into the L-carnitine? This helps inhibit some of the hyper symptoms. DO not use with out consultation of your Endo.. I am thinking that they either need you to undergo a second RAI or remove it. I have seen that some people had to go through 3 RAI's to kill their thyroid off. I think if that was my option I would go my aunt's route.. AT's and when they fail to work.. surgery.

I hate that this is on going for you. Best of luck.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
    weavers5
    (male)

weavers5 HB User

So I am not the only one that the docs just want to give antidepresant to. Well I stoped that right away. I found a great endo. in Denver. I need my thyroid fixed and the rest will fix its self.

The Following User Says Thank You to weavers5 For This Useful Post:
    pewe (03-10-2012)
    Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
    ginnie444
    (female)

ginnie444 HB User

hello,

I asked my doc about that having another RAI and she said the only way to find out is to stop taking my meds and see if my levels go down. wow like I really want to try that. I am so frustrated with doctors at this point that I have been doing research myself and now seeing an alternative meds dr. I am on Armour now which took me forever to get on I had to practically talk my dr into it and told her if she didnt want to change my meds I would see someone else. I have noticed a little difference but still not myself

Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uh.. only way to stop taking meds? What about an uptake scan? If there are still functioning zones in your thyroid it will be taking in and processing iodine.. thus the Iodine uptake imaging would work? Is my logic off here? Humm.. I am thinking your endo might be a bit off.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
    ginnie444
    (female)

ginnie444 HB User

Thanks I had one of those before my RAI and I asked her about it again and that was the answer I received. I think we are our own best doctors. I am going to see an alternative medicine doctor today and I am going to ask her about it,
    I just know that since 1996 when I had RAI my levels have always been all over the board. I have never been one 1 medication longer than 6 months without having to change. It is very frustrating. I think I have tried taking it all different kind of ways. Thanks for your advice.

Blessings

Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
    ginnie444
    (female)

ginnie444 HB User

Nope you are not the only one

Did you take yours? I found out that I am extremely low on Vitamin D too.

Closed Thread