It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• small multinodular goiter and synthroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
    cvella
    (female)

cvella HB User
    small multinodular goiter and synthroid

I'm new to the board. Just diagnosed with euthyroid multinodular goiter (MN Goiter). My doctor wants me to start 75mcg synthroid to prevent the goiter from getting larger. However, I've read that treatment of MN goiter with synthroid is controversial. Anyone else out there with MN goiter? Are you on meds or just being followed by your doctor? I'm hesitant to start synthroid but I don't want my thyroid to get larger. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User
    Re: small multinodular goiter and synthroid

Cvella,

Have you had any labs done recently? TSH, FreeT3, FreeT4? Might help you make your decision about starting the medication if you could see where your thyroid labs are at right now. If they are already at good levels, you might feel a little overmedicated starting at 75mcg. Talk to your doctor. You have legitimate concerns and obviously didn't get all your questions answered by him the first go round. Best wishes to you.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Re: small multinodular goiter and synthroid

I also have a MN goiter, and although my labs were "normal" my FT4 was on the low side and there was a lot of room for improvement so we decided to start meds. However, I started 25 mcg of Levoxyl and will be going back in 6 weeks for more labs and then increase to 50 as long as I am not going hyper. I think 75 might be a little high to start, especially if you dont know where your numbers are at. if you are already in an optimal area for your T4/T3 numbers, then the synthroid might make you hyper and you would feel really crappy. I would go have blood drawn, see what your levels are, and then decide. If your numbers are on the low side, then I would start at a low dose of synthroid and work up slowly until you find the right dose. if your numbers are on the higher side, I'm not sure if you would want to try meds at all.

Good luck!

Closed Thread