It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Was able to get my endo to order more tests...question about cortisol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User
    Was able to get my endo to order more tests...question about cortisol

I got my doctor to approve of tests for free t3/t4 and TG/TP antibodies. She also approved of cortisol testing. I have the lab slip (just for TSH, vit D, and basic metabolic panel) she signed, but this was before she approved of additional testing via e-mail. There are two line items for cortisol on the lab slip. Which one do I check off? One is 24 hour urine cortisol and just cortisol (i'm assuming this is just measuring cortisol in the blood). She told me to just check the cortisol level in the morning... so is that just measuring cortisol in the blood? Hope this makes sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: Was able to get my endo to order more tests...question about cortisol

At least your doc's looking in the right direction, even if the cortisol test she wants to run isn't going to be much help. To answer your question, the morning cortisol test will be a blood test. I'm kinda surprised she didn't want to check your ACTH as well. Make sure to get your cortisol blood test done before 8am, when the levels are supposed to be their highest.

The 24-hour urine test isn't a whole lot of help either. Since all your urine goes into one container, its more of an average of what your output is per day, rather than a good picture of what your adrenals are doing. The best test is really a 24-hour cortisol saliva test. You take saliva samples through the day, keeping the samples separate. Samples are taken when you get up, at noon, at 4pm, and again before you go to bed. While the 24-hour cortisol saliva test is the best method, many docs doubt its legitimacy, in spite of numerous clinical studies to the contrary.

Closed Thread