It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• cortisol testing - did i screw up?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User
    cortisol testing - did i screw up?

So my doctor approved of cortisol testing. She told me to get it tested in the morning, but didn't give me a specific time. I had my blood drawn at about 8:30 a.m. The lab tech said usually doctors want it done at 8 a.m. Does 1/2 hour make a huge difference in the results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: cortisol testing - did i screw up?

I find it doubtful that half an hour would cause too much bias in the results. Just take that into account when you get your results.

Sincerely,
    MG

Did some digging.. in two 120 minute studies where blood was taking at time zero, 30 min, 60min 120 min.. there was no appreciative difference in the cortisol values.

Last edited by mkgb; 09-26-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
    kkl
    (female)

kkl HB User

OK. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
    robbielyn
    (female)

robbielyn HB User

yes you screwed up. The blood test only tests the mid range. Adrenal hormones vary during the day. A saliva test with spit 4 times during the day into tubes will give you a more accurate reading than a 24 urine or blood test. Unfortunately it costs $150.00 for the test and they send you the kit and then you send it to them. and they test it for you. that is the most accurate way to check for adrenal fatigue

Last edited by moderator2; 10-02-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Its true that the 24-hour cortisol saliva test is probably the best way to see what your adrenals are doing. Bear in mind that many conventional health practitioners don't see saliva testing as a valid means of dx, in spite of numerous clinical studies supporting its validity.

Unfortunately, a one-time serum cortisol test probably isn't going to be able to tell you or your dr much.

In order to dx other possible adrenal issues, such as secondary AI or hypopit, it's necessary to get other testing done as well. ACTH, serum cortisol, ACTH stim test, aldosterone, sodium, potassium, renin and DHEA should all be tested. These tests need to be done 8am or earlier. If you're getting your aldosterone/sodium/potassium tested, then abstain from salt for 24 hours prior to the testing.

These levels can also vary depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle, as they're often elevated mid-cycle. Its really best to get these done on or between days 5-7 of your cycle. This will give a good baseline.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Closed Thread