It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin D deficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Vitamin D deficiency

Wow...I really do like this new doctor. She seems to be picking all of the blood tests that are coming back abnormal. The only problem is that the problems are piling up and I don't know if they are all related.

I had the blood test for Vitamin D (25OH). My result was 19.9ng/ml (32-100)

Does this have anything to do with the low ferritin? 24 (10-291) Calcium was 10.2 (8.5-10.5).

Does this tie in ANYWHERE with the thyroid stuff? I have been reading and this MAY be the reason for the bone and muscle pain.
    Anyone with a Vitamin D deficiency on the board? Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Vitamin D deficiency

It seems like there's an epidemic of low D around this forum and others I've read.
    My own level tested very low-normal, 30 on a 20-100 range. My doc wants me to take 2000 units a day to boost it. Yes, low D is related to chronic pain syndromes. It is also thought to play a role in cancer prevention, among other things.

I don't think low D is related in any way to thyroid disorders per se, because it's being found quite often in the general population without thyroid disease as well. The resurgence of breast-feeding from formula-feeding causes D deficiency in infants, and the use of sun-screens block D production in children and adults.

Has your doc yet made any recommendations for supplementing your D?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

The new family doctor I went to ran these tests. She told me to start a good multi vitamin and an iron pill. I have ferrous sulphate but I saw a horrible article about it on line! She said I need more than the multi vitamin provides. As far as the Vitamin D, I got those results in the mail and they have already called and said she wants to discuss results with me next week before the appt. with the new endo she recommended.

Some of my other hormone numbers seem whacky too (I posted them in a previous post yesterday) and two things on the CBC!

Lump in neck and bones from hips down are SO sore! I wonder what will be next? Hoppy

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Vitamin D is the "sunshine vitamin" & your body can produce huge amounts when you are exposed to just a few minutes of sunlight on your skin daily.

My calcium levels were at the top of the range & I think it is because the thyroid (normally) makes a hormone called calcitonin that allows the calcium in your blood to enter & be utilized by the bone tissue.

My magnesium was at the lowest end of the range & was causing me all kinds of muscle twitches & pain (and heart palpitations).

Magnesium and calcium and Vit D all work together and when one is high it makes the other low, etc.

Look for a slow release iron supplement. You need lots more than the 18 mg in most multivatimans. I was taking at least 200 a day for a while (my ferritin was 15) . Some people take lots more. They make a popular brand that is I believe 325 mgs. Gradually build up to your higher dose if possible.

Magnesium will help keep you from getting constipated on iron too. Too much iron can be dangerous so have your ferritin tested after a few months.

The body needs all these elements in proper proportions to carry out hundreds of chemical processes and conversions daily. So often doctors are quick to give us prescriptions meds for symptoms that are actually due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies! But we do have big pharma telling us constantly on TV that if we all only took the right prescription meds we would be in good health! I say the opposite is true, the more prescriptions meds (chemicals) the worse off we are! They all cause side effects.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes GCC you're right about the cal mag. Calcium does constipate.I just don't know how much to take. I have 250 mgs of mag. I started taking Vitamin D in higher doses too. Supposedly the sun doesn't do enough if you're low. I asked my primary about this test and he said ask the endo that has to do with the thyroid, so it IS tied with it. I don't know how. I asked for a copper and zinc test too. It seems hypers are low in copper, and hypos are low in zinc, and if you have levels which are wrong for your thyroid you feel worse. I just noticed yesterday my magnesium has zinc in it, no wonder I feel crummy, stopped it right away. It was making me nauseous too.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

If you're having problems with the ferrous sulphate, then try ferrous fumarate. Its supposed to be much easier on the stomach and is easily absorbable. Its also fairly cheap and I've heard Walgreen's brand is pretty good. I'm currently on 75mg of ferrous bisglycinate a day and it isn't causing the digestive problems I've had with other forms of iron. Then again, I'm one of the oddballs who get the runs and gas from iron, not the usual constipation. Haven't had my ferritin levels checked since I've been on this form though so don't know how its absorbing.

And you're definitely not alone. My ferritin was 7 when it was first tested. Last time it was up to a whopping 27! Woo! My vit D was also low at 13 (25-80) and has gone up to 28. So there is hope.

Glad you like your new doc! It sounds like she actually knows what she's doing!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
    Wow...I really do like this new doctor. She seems to be picking all of the blood tests that are coming back abnormal. The only problem is that the problems are piling up and I don't know if they are all related.

I had the blood test for Vitamin D (25OH). My result was 19.9ng/ml (32-100)

Does this have anything to do with the low ferritin? 24 (10-291) Calcium was 10.2 (8.5-10.5).

Does this tie in ANYWHERE with the thyroid stuff? I have been reading and this MAY be the reason for the bone and muscle pain.
    Anyone with a Vitamin D deficiency on the board? Hoppy
    Hi hopalong, I'm new to the boards, but I also have a Vit. D deficiency, as well as pituitary probs, and Hashimoto's antibodies.
    I wonder what role Vit. D plays in regulating brain and other functions in the body, if someone has an information, could you please respond, Many thanks, waratah

Closed Thread