It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• T3 suppressing TSH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
    TinyTot2
    (female)

TinyTot2 HB User
    T3 suppressing TSH

So, I know that Armour can suppress the TSH levels, but does Cytomel do the same thing?

I might be switching from an Armour/Synthroid combo to a Cytomel/Synthroid combo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: T3 suppressing TSH

Yes, I think it can. But I don't have any personal experience with Cytomel doing that.

I did try Cytomel a few years ago, but my dose was never high enough to do any good.

I think the things to remember are...

-have the blood drawn before the meds are taken that day.

-have the FREE T4 & FREE T3 tested and rely more on those than what the TSH shows.

-get re-tested in about 6 weeks after starting it and after starting a new dose (to see if the dose is higher enough).

Good luck, I hope it helps you feel better.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

Yes - Cytomel surpresses TSH if the dose is large enough.

I was taking a Levoxyl (<< 150 & 25 mcg's >>) Cytomel combo and my TSH was .05 to .01 all the time. I'm now on 1.5 grains of Armour and my TSH is in the 2.0.

I'm curious why you want to switch?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
    TinyTot2
    (female)

TinyTot2 HB User

My doctor would prefer me to switch. She is anti-Armour, but isn't anti-T3. She believes that Armour isn't "regulated" and that each pill could contain different amounts of horomone. I said that I do NOT believe that in the least and that it would not be FDA approved if what she said was true.

But, like I said, she is not a T4 only gal and would willingly prescribe Cytomel.

I am just so tired of fighting to stay on the Armour. I've been on every dose up to 3 grains, but was not getting relief. I'm now thinking maybe it just isn't working for me anymore

Old 09-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

I hear ya TinyTot ~ if you're not feeling relief on ANY dose of Armour, maybe its NOT the med for you (I've been on it since May - its nice to be ALIVE again )

I've taken generic T4, Levothyroxine, & Levoxyl and MUCH prefer brand Levoxyl to the generic. Just something for you to think about

Old 09-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Cytomel and T3 forms in general are used as:

As pituitary thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) suppressants, in the treatment or prevention of various types of euthyroid goiters, including thyroid nodules, subacute or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s) and multinodular goiter.

So yes, Cytomel will also suppress the TSH as the T3 in armour does.. it is an inherent side effect or base character of the three iodinate forms of T3.

As too the armor regulations.. it is strict. Down to exact iodine content.
    Natural preparations (Armour) include desiccated thyroid and thyroglobulin. Desiccated thyroid is derived from domesticated animals that are used for food by man (either cow or hog thyroid), and thyroglobulin is dominantly derived from thyroid glands of the hog. The United States Pharmacopeia (USP) has standardized the total iodine content of natural preparations. Thyroid USP contains not less than (NLT) 0.17 percent and not more than (NMT) 0.23 percent iodine, and thyroglobulin contains not less than (NLT) 0.7 percent of organically bound iodine.

In some cases there are more restrictions on the natural based Armour than the synthetically based ones.. which have liberties to add what ever fillers and such they desire.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-28-2007 at 06:28 AM.

Closed Thread