It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone want a good laugh??? re:endo appt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
    spyfferoni
    (female)

spyfferoni HB User
    Anyone want a good laugh??? re:endo appt

I was diagnosed in May as being Hyperthyroid although I didn't have most of the symptoms and I have the anti-bodies for Hashi's. My endo didn't seem to care about my antibodies and just wanted to treat the hyperthyroid and in July went so far as to suggest RAI, even when my thyroid scan came back normal. I have been feeling like hell lately, and called a couple of weeks ago, and they had me go in for some labs and then called and said my labs were normal and to cut back a dose of my PTU. I had more lab work this week and my appointment with my endo was yesterday. Apparently my labs aren't normal my free T4 was flagged as low. The endo who had me on 6 pills of PTU a day asked---"So do we have you on Amour or something..." I was like NO---I am taking PTU. "How much are you taking?" I respond that I cut back by one dose like the nurse told me so I was taking 4 pills a day---while apparently she wanted me on 2 pills a day but that was never communicated to me. She still doesn't care about my antibodies or doing further testing beyond the TPO ones, and just says I could go hypo now. DUH!!!!! She's not going to treat the low T4, she wants me to continue with a low dose of the PTU and get blood work again in 4 weeks and see her again in 10 weeks. I asked her about my hot flashes and fevers, dizzyness, tiredness, and depression, and she said that I'm not hyper anymore so the hot flashes are probably just form gaining weight and I really need to watch my food---HELLO I gained weight because you over-medicated me!!! I asked if there was something to help my mood swings and well-being while my thyroid was leveling out and she said that I should go to my regular doctor about that. Apparently she is only interested in looking at a few labs and making a few notations in her computer and has no concern about my well-being. I was sooo mad! Needless to say I will not be going back to her again. My husband was with me because we really wanted some answers---he wasn't very happy with her either. So all along I thought I was going hyper again, when in reality I probably had hashitoxiosis and have been going hypo ever since while being on medicine for hyperthyroidism. AGHHHH!!!

Tyffanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Anyone want a good laugh??? re:endo appt

My mother has Hashitoxicosis..

They removed the dead node.. after almost killing her with an iodine uptake scan. My family has a nice iodine allergy. The endo requested the hot one be left. This MD said it was producing enough for the whole thyroid so she was good.. Bye.. no need to come back... no meds or follow up for you.. just go to the surgeon for post op care. Well thyroids especially AI thyroids do not work that way, you can not ignore them. My mother is and was too trusting. I assumed she was getting care. Nope. Nada! The best to this rant.. the endo group that she had used closed down a month after her surgery and didn't pass off their patients.. they just went belly up and were done. What about all the other patients? I am sure there are others out there waiting as well. I learned that the group went belly up from my current ENDO who was working in the near by hospital during this time frame. She told me the were the worst group she had seen. Talk about screaming incompitence.

Well I got my mother to get another appointment for a full thyroid screening and check.. it is next Thursday. I am still raging after learning she has been doing nothing and has been living with hypo symptoms since about a year after her surgery. This time my SIL gave me the best top notch endos to go to and I am hoping my mom will get straightened out ASAP. She was still willing to cling to the statement that the MD told her her half a thyroid was doing and would be enough. I had to fight her and argue with her until she finally caved. TEN YEARS.. Oh I could scream and stomp and kick something.. where is my husband hiding? ::sigh:: I will hold the urge for later.

Sometimes I wish only those with direct experience of a condition could treat said condition. But we know that isn't likely to happen. Get to another MD... start fishing. The one you have needs a boot up the backside. Maybe if she likes the computer you can direct her here.. then we could YELL AT HER IN ALL CAPS!

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-28-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Anyone want a good laugh??? re:endo appt

Hi! You can have tpo antibodies and still have Graves, I do, a good percentage of us have these antibodies as well. You need a tsi test to see if you have Graves disease. Any tsi is not normal,also the TBII test, I think that's it. It's complicated and I don't get it yet, but I do know certain antibodies mean Graves. My scan was normal too, but high normal. It sounds like you are just being over medicated on the ptu. Post your most recent labs and also labs when you were first diagnosed, and what dose of ptu you're on, and some of us hypers can decipher for you. many doctors for some reason, like to keep us at hypo levels, then when we have symptoms we NEVER had before, they tell us to go to another doctor. Like when I told my doc I had musle and joint pain(from my levels not being optimal) he says"go see a Rheumy" yeah all of a sudden I have rhuematoid athritis, I know these diseases can run together(auto-immume) but no lab tests ever told me this, and I have no symptoms of this disease.If you say you're depressed they want to give you an anti-depressant, anxiety...here's a zanax, when all along it's probably the wrong thyroid levels for you. They are afraid of hyper I tell you, so they try to keep us hypo,so there's no chance of thyroid storm, which is pretty rare under a doc's care, if he knows what he's doing. Yes you CAN go hypo after having Graves,without meds, it can be the natural course of the disease.

Closed Thread