It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypercalcemia and abdominal pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2007, 04:42 AM   #1
    Gap2007
    (female)

Gap2007 HB User
    Hypercalcemia and abdominal pain?

My husband's calcium levels are high, he has acute abdominal pain in the liver and pancreas area that he has had for years but it is getting worse all the time. Vicadin and flexerall are not even touching it. His pth levels go up and down. He is going to a chiropractor but that doesn't help the abdominal pain. He went to an endocronologist had a scan (sestamibi ?) and was told there were not tumors on his parathyroid glands...was told he had to decide if he could live with this or he could be referred to a surgeon for exploratory surgery. We opted for the exploratory but I feel something is being missed. Would parathyroidism cause this awful abdominal pain in just this area around the liver and pancreas? Is exploratory surgery the way to go? Anyone have any advice? My husband's pain threshold is very high and it concerns me when I see him in such pain even after taking the medicine he's been prescribed. so any advice would be appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
    georgi
    (female)

georgi HB User
    Re: Hypercalcemia and abdominal pain?

I would suggest that you go to [url]www.parathyroid.com[/url] and read up on the parathyroid. Then call Dr. Norman in Florida. The scan sestambi is hard to read. Just because it does not show anything, does not mean that it isn't there. You really need an expert in this field. I am going in for an explortory in two weeks. The sestambi scan did not show the offending parathyroid, but my surgeon says it is there, just need to find it. Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
    Gap2007
    (female)

Gap2007 HB User

I have already checked this out and it sounds good but we don't have the money for the consultation fee, the travel, etc. I am trying to find someone in our area but so far, no luck.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
    Gap2007
    (female)

Gap2007 HB User

Hi Georgi, how did your exploratory surgery go for the parathyroid? My husband is having surgery on Nov. 13th. they think he has a tumor on the right side, but the tests don't conclusively show it. If it's not where they think it is, then the surgery becomes exploratory. Hopefully this will help him to feel better. Hope all went well with you.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

Gap2007,
    How did your husband make out with his high calcium?
    I have calcium that is high at times now too.
    But I wanted to tell you that my aunt had hyperparathyroid 13 years ago and that was her only symptom was the stomach issues. She did not have any of the others.

mmee

Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

Gap2007,
    I wanted to let you know that I have intermittent high calcium for a few months now, mine has gone to 11.0. I have wound up in the ER twice for abdominal pain of an unknown source in the exact area that your husband is talking about. Infact that area is always swelled on me now, the pancreas area.
    My aunt had hyperparathyroid and stomach trouble was her only symptom.
    Let us know how your husband is doing.
    mmee

Closed Thread