It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH Level Help - 2.98 Normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
    elizleigh
    (female)

elizleigh HB User
    Question TSH Level Help - 2.98 Normal with symptoms?

Hi everbody! I just had my TSH tested because I've been having some symptoms and it came back at 2.98. Is this considered high or maybe borderline hypo? My doctor told me I was completely normal and not to worry. But I've read some possible conflicting stories...

Thanks!
    Beth

Last edited by elizleigh; 10-04-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: TSH Level Help - 2.98 Normal?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elizleigh View Post
    Is this considered high or maybe borderline hypo?
    Something like that - a bit on the "hypo side". You need to get your FT4 and TPO antibodies tested too since you have symptoms.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
    elizleigh
    (female)

elizleigh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    Something like that - a bit on the "hypo side". You need to get your FT4 and TPO antibodies tested too since you have symptoms.
    Thanks for your reply! I went in and asked my doctor about more tests and she said as long as you are within normal no more testing and that was the end of that no matter how much I pushed...

how do we get these doctors to do more tests especially when when we are having symptoms that they are still ignoring? My temp hasn't been normal in weeks. It was even 97.1 that day when I went in to see her and no one questioned it or said anything. Is that normal?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

A low temp is normal for hypothyroid. my endo considers a TSH of 2.5 or higher an indicator of thyroid function failure. This is confirmed FT4 and FT3 testing. If the FT3 and FT4 are low then you are hypo thyroid. The normal TSH range if your analytical lab is up to date is 0.3-3.0 -- 2.98 is just shy inside of the upper range. This is not normal by any means. If you are having symptoms you are not optimal and need to push for treatment. Have you had your TPOAb and TGAb run. This will also tell if it is Hashimoto's of just plain hypothyroid.

What is optimal and what you want.. is a TSH about 1 and a FT3 and FT4 reading in the 50-80% of the normal analytical range. The actual value of FT3/4 optimal for you is the ones that make your symptoms go away.

Go around you current MD they are not wanting to mess with it. Get your OB or another MD to draw and test you. If they won't budge til you break a TSH of 3.. get quarterly testing and return with resluts in hand as soon as it breaks three. It is unjust treatment to make you sufferer because the MD could care less how you feel and is too lazy to keep up with national changes in result values.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
    elizleigh
    (female)

elizleigh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    A low temp is normal for hypothyroid. my endo considers a TSH of 2.5 or higher an indicator of thyroid function failure. This is confirmed FT4 and FT3 testing. If the FT3 and FT4 are low then you are hypo thyroid. The normal TSH range if your analytical lab is up to date is 0.3-3.0 -- 2.98 is just shy inside of the upper range. This is not normal by any means. If you are having symptoms you are not optimal and need to push for treatment. Have you had your TPOAb and TGAb run. This will also tell if it is Hashimoto's of just plain hypothyroid.

What is optimal and what you want.. is a TSH about 1 and a FT3 and FT4 reading in the 50-80% of the normal analytical range. The actual value of FT3/4 optimal for you is the ones that make your symptoms go away.

Go around you current MD they are not wanting to mess with it. Get your OB or another MD to draw and test you. If they won't budge til you break a TSH of 3.. get quarterly testing and return with resluts in hand as soon as it breaks three. It is unjust treatment to make you sufferer because the MD could care less how you feel and is too lazy to keep up with national changes in result values.

Sincerely,
    MG
    Wow, thank you for being so informative. I wish doctors didn't make us work so hard for our health. Why they make all the money when we do all the research is beyond me. I think I'm going to attempt an appointment with an OB and see what happens. It's unfortunately with the same provider group, same lab (.35-5.5 values), and same office as my current primary doctor so I hope that doesn't hinder anything. I have too many other health issues right now to change providers and PCP's because I love my current neurologist for my other issue... life... oh well. Thanks again for all your help. You've been a blessing.
    Beth

Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
    leash44
    (female)

leash44 HB User

Unfortunately many labs are still using outdated reference range values. While the reference range you quoted was the norm a few years back, the 0.3-3.0 range is the current recommended range. I was just diagnosed hypo this week, luckily my GP uses current standards and pretty much ignored the labs ref range. She said that while many labs still use 5-6 as the high range of norm, studies show ranges of 1-2 max (or less) as being optimal for most, and above 2 indicates impaired thyroid function. Mine was at 3.58 I think, so while most of the bonehead docs I've seen in the past would have quoted me as normal and sent me on my not-so-merry way she saw that my thyroid is in the process of dying.. which is unfortunate because I do get tested quarterly due to other health conditions and my results were within her standards of normal both 3 and 6 months ago.. So add another pill to the 8 or so others I already take.

Sorry to get off topic there for a sec.. at any rate I'd probably find a new doc willing to listen, or bring your current one a copy of the current reference guidelines suggested by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Personally I prefer to switch to another doctor when possible that is willing to listen to me and treat me like I actually have to live with my own body and like to have a say in my own healthcare.

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to get it figured out and can feel comfortable that your needs are being met. Please keep us updated.

Last edited by leash44; 10-04-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
    elizleigh
    (female)

elizleigh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leash44 View Post
    Unfortunately many labs are still using outdated reference range values. While the reference range you quoted was the norm a few years back, the 0.3-3.0 range is the current recommended range. I was just diagnosed hypo this week, luckily my GP uses current standards and pretty much ignored the labs ref range. She said that while many labs still use 5-6 as the high range of norm, studies show ranges of 1-2 max (or less) as being optimal for most, and above 2 indicates impaired thyroid function. Mine was at 3.58 I think, so while most of the bonehead docs I've seen in the past would have quoted me as normal and sent me on my not-so-merry way she saw that my thyroid is in the process of dying.. which is unfortunate because I do get tested quarterly due to other health conditions and my results were within her standards of normal both 3 and 6 months ago.. So add another pill to the 8 or so others I already take.

Sorry to get off topic there for a sec.. at any rate I'd probably find a new doc willing to listen, or bring your current one a copy of the current reference guidelines suggested by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Personally I prefer to switch to another doctor when possible that is willing to listen to me and treat me like I actually have to live with my own body and like to have a say in my own healthcare.

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to get it figured out and can feel comfortable that your needs are being met. Please keep us updated.

Thank you so much for replying. I think I'm going to change doctors - maybe to an internist or something. I'm currently going to a family practitioner and I'm starting see that this may be where the problem is lying. They just must not be as educated or aware as more specialized doctors.

Thanks again. You've all been awesome.

Beth

Last edited by elizleigh; 10-05-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Closed Thread