It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ruling Out Hashi's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
    Letterer
    (female)

Letterer HB User
    Ruling Out Hashi's

Hello - New to this forum, hoping for some input. I've been having a multitude of symptoms with no clear diagnosis yet. There's family history of AI disease (sis with lupus, sis with crohn's, nieces with crohn's, etc.). In recent bloodwork some results jumped out at me:
    ANA: 1:40 Nucleolar (weak positive, doc says he doesn't consider pos until 1:160)
    TSH: 2.02 (ref 0.40-4.00)
    Free T4: 0.7 (ref 0.5-1.6)
    TPO Ab: <10 (ref 0-35)
    Tg Ab: 2075 (ref 0-40)
    Obviously, the Tg Ab alarmed me since i's 50x the ref range, I'm currently have a complete thyroid panel repeated since the TSH and the Ab test were done at separate times, about 3 months apart. Current symptoms include extreme fatigue, depression, tingling in hands and feet, significant joint pain, abdominal pain, alternating diarrhea and constipation, blurry vision at times.
    My GP isn't alarmed by the Tg Ab #, he just says it may predispose to hypothyroidism in the future. What else should be done to definitively rule in/out Hashimoto's and potential hypothyroidism? Not sure how to pursue from this point, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. We're looking into possibility of Crohn's as well.
    Thanks in advance,
    L.A.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User
    Re: Ruling Out Hashi's

I think it's safe to assume you have Hashimoto's and subclinical hypothyroid, based on your TgAb, your low FT4, your symptoms and TSH being over 2.0. Based on your continuing symptoms, I bet your new labs will show your TSH even higher. Your doctor should have also tested Free-T3 to have a complete panel. Your Free-T3 is probably also on the low end of the normal range.

See posts on this board by Midwest1 about "normal" vs. "optimal". Just because you are in the "normal" range, doesn't mean you will feel well. You need medication to get your labs to a number that it "optimal" for you (relieves your symptoms).

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, you have Hashi's now. If that MD continues to say only that you're "predisposed" to it "in the future", find a better doctor. He knows zilch about the disease; you'll find it next to impossible to become healthy under his care.

The endo who diagnosed me treats based on symptoms plus positive antibodies, regardless of where TSH is. She says that complete thyroid failure is certain, and that treating earlier rather than later can prevent goiter formation and alleviate symptoms. That mindset can be hard to find, but it's out there if you look hard enough.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
    Letterer
    (female)

Letterer HB User

Thank you for your responses A few more questions:
    1) From reading through this site it sounds like the high TgAb/elevated TSH/low FT4/symptoms combo is enough to say it's Hashi's, but there was no swelling found at the exam. Can it be Hashi's but have no swelling? Is it necessary to get a scan or biopsy to be sure in the absence of finding swelling?
    2) Is the <10 result on the TPO Ab still considered a positive result in light of the other info?
    3) Looking back earlier this year - I went 4 months w/o a period (I'm 42, so peri-pausal but usually just have irregular and painful menses, not skipping them) and had horrible flashes, along with the night sweats that have been a problem for years. I started drinking one cup of soy milk every day, plus I occasionally use ground flax seed in my smoothies - is this enough phytoestrogen to make the thyroid go nuts? The extreme exacerbation in symptoms started in July, I added soy milk in April. (BTW, within 2 weeks of starting soy, the hot flashes were gone and so were the night sweats - coincidence or indicative of evolving thyroid situation?)
    4) I'd like to arm myself so I can get treatment. I've printed out the symptom checklist. I think I'll do the temperature charting too, I know I've always run low. I'm going to start a symptom log again. I love the one size does not fit all approach. Any other suggestions? Anybody know of a doc or a place to start in the north Seattle area?
    Sorry this is so long. I find this forum has shined a light for me - I've been feeling lousy for years, and this sure sounds like I'm on the right track

Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Can it be Hashi's but have no swelling? Is it necessary to get a scan or biopsy to be sure in the absence of finding swelling?
    Absolutely. My gland has never been swollen. I've never had any kind of imaging test, either. The only 100% certain way to know if it's Hashi's is to have the gland biopsied; but almost no MD ever orders a biopsy solely to look for Hashi's. It's almost always done only to examine large nodules for evidence of cancer. For most MDs, (though apparently not yours), positive antibodies are proof enough. Your TPO ABs are considered negative, but that doesn't matter. Your Tg ABs are certainly evidence by themselves.

The effect of goitrogenic foods varies individually. But I will tell you that just before I was diagnosed, I began eating 2 tablespoons of flaxseed each day, and my thyroid - and I - "went nuts" ... as you say. After a month of eating the seed, I was nearly certifiably mentally ill. Lucky for that, because I didn't connect the dots from the seed to the illness. After I ran out of seed, I was too sick to go buy more. Within three days, I was back to my old self and finally made the connection. I theorize that the goitrogen shut down what was left of my already weak thyroid function. But then again... Over 10 years ago, when I was entering menopause and having 6 hot flashes per hour, I began eating 2 ounces of tofu every day, and it had no effect on my thyroid that I can remember. (It sure helped the hot flashes, though!) As soon as the flashes seemed under control, I stopped eating it... long before my thyroid got bad.

Most MDs nowadays don't put any stock in temperature charts for thyroid conditions. The lab tests, while fallible, are more reliable.

I should have said that your "weak" ANA count is probably due to the high Tg AB count, and is indicative of nothing at all by itself.

Your basement level FT4, TSH of 2, high ABs, and multiple symptoms would be enough evidence for thyroid-smart MDs to start treating now. Really... You should make the effort to find one. The Armour Thyroid folks have a physician finder that might help. Even if Armour isn't the right med for you, an MD willing to prescribe it usually is the type who thinks outside the box that MDs like yours are stuck in.

Closed Thread