It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Latest labs, I'm confused!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
    SPF5
    (female)

SPF5 HB User
    Question Latest labs, I'm confused!

Hi everyone, hope you all are having a good day.

My latest labs are in and they are not what I expected...I am very confused.

My last dose increase was June 18. I was feeling pretty good after that until about five weeks ago. I could feel myself slipping, but that was right around the same time as some bad PMS, so I was initially in denial about it. A lot was going on this summer, lots of family turmoil, so it was easy to ignore and deny how I was feeling. However, the past few weeks have been harder to deny because I feel like someone slammed me into a wall! Fatigue is back, swelling, anxiety, increased depression, aches and pains, forgetfulness, trouble concentrating, really bad snarly mood, cold, sinus trouble, and so on and so on...bleh! So here is what has me confused...

I am currently on .100 Synthroid and .015 Cytomel.

Labs from 10/01/07:

TSH 1.097 (0.35-5.50)
    FT3 3.1 (2.30-4.20)
    FT4 0.93 (0.61-1.76)

Labs from 5/23/07 (same reference ranges as above):

TSH 3.621
    FT3 3.0
    FT4 1.18

My past three labs show my FT3 at 3.1, 3.0 and now 3.1. Odd considering Cytomel was added in June.

My past three labs show my FT4 at 1.17, 1.18 and now 0.93. Not the direction I need it to go!

Most recent A.M. Cortisol via saliva was 0.52 (0.27-2.06), midnight cortisol was <0.03 (0.03-0.50). This was one of those home tests that gets mailed back, and I'm not sure how much I trust it, so I need to ask the doctor to test me if I can afford it.

So my question is this - am I crazy or shouldn't my FT4 be going UP instead of down, and shouldn't my FT3 be at least moving in some direction? Is it possible that I'm not on enough Synthroid, and the Cytomel is doing no more than supressing my TSH?

Any insight or advice on what could be happening and/or what to ask the doctor would be greatly appreciated and help me from going completely insane between now and my appointment on the 12th.

Thank you,
    SPF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
    twylah
    (female)

twylah HB User
    Re: Latest labs, I'm confused!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPF5 View Post
    Hi everyone, hope you all are having a good day.

My latest labs are in and they are not what I expected...I am very confused.

My last dose increase was June 18. I was feeling pretty good after that until about five weeks ago. I could feel myself slipping, but that was right around the same time as some bad PMS, so I was initially in denial about it. A lot was going on this summer, lots of family turmoil, so it was easy to ignore and deny how I was feeling. However, the past few weeks have been harder to deny because I feel like someone slammed me into a wall! Fatigue is back, swelling, anxiety, increased depression, aches and pains, forgetfulness, trouble concentrating, really bad snarly mood, cold, sinus trouble, and so on and so on...bleh! So here is what has me confused...

I am currently on .100 Synthroid and .015 Cytomel.

Labs from 10/01/07:

TSH 1.097 (0.35-5.50)
    FT3 3.1 (2.30-4.20)
    FT4 0.93 (0.61-1.76)

Labs from 5/23/07 (same reference ranges as above):

TSH 3.621
    FT3 3.0
    FT4 1.18

My past three labs show my FT3 at 3.1, 3.0 and now 3.1. Odd considering Cytomel was added in June.

My past three labs show my FT4 at 1.17, 1.18 and now 0.93. Not the direction I need it to go!

Most recent A.M. Cortisol via saliva was 0.52 (0.27-2.06), midnight cortisol was <0.03 (0.03-0.50). This was one of those home tests that gets mailed back, and I'm not sure how much I trust it, so I need to ask the doctor to test me if I can afford it.

So my question is this - am I crazy or shouldn't my FT4 be going UP instead of down, and shouldn't my FT3 be at least moving in some direction? Is it possible that I'm not on enough Synthroid, and the Cytomel is doing no more than supressing my TSH?

Any insight or advice on what could be happening and/or what to ask the doctor would be greatly appreciated and help me from going completely insane between now and my appointment on the 12th.

Thank you,
    SPF
    Hi,
    I have hypothyroidism and didn't find out about it until this year's TSH. I did a lot of research before I saw my physician and choose to take Armour Thyroid Tabs. It's what our elders took before all the synthetics became popular. I started out on 30 mgs. in May and then upped it to 60 mgs. By September 2007 I was in the middle zone of normal which is where it remains. I'm trying to talk my physician into ordering a Free T3 and Free T4 plus another TSH. This may not help you out as I am also confused as to what test is needed to nail down whether or not I still have any thyroid function left. Twylah

Closed Thread