It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid & Sometimes Not Hungry...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
    Hypothyroid & Sometimes Not Hungry...

Am taking Levoxyl 200 mcg. and doing good on it...Sometimes,I can not be hungry for days...I get lots of exercise by walking,sometimes as much 20 something hours a week at work...just wondering,does not being hungry have to do with being hypothyroid...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid & Sometimes Not Hungry...

I would say it could be a side effect of the Levoxyl, that would be my guess. I have never heard of not being hungry being a symptom of hypoT, but I am by no means an expert. I know for me I am hungry all the time, lol.

Is it bothering you? Do you feel that you are not getting enough to eat because of it? Are you losing too much weight? If so, I would call your dr. to check with him/her. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

My appetite has always waxed and waned for as long as I can remember, so I can't be sure it was associated with my untreated hypo or not.

I will say that immediately before I was diagnosed, I was lethargic and moody... two states in which I don't care about food very much. I was too lazy to prepare meals for myself and just not very hungry.
    Physically, the hypo state can make one less hungry because the stomach empties more slowly, which depresses appetite.
    But you say you're feeling pretty good, so that can't be it.

I think appetite and hunger are tied to so many different things, that unless you see a pattern to them that can define what's normal for you, you may never know.

I'm pretty sure that the Levoxyl itself is not suppressing your appetite, and that it's more likely the effect of your newly balanced hormones.
    As Petra suggested, you'll need to pay attention to your nutrition if this continues.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
    georgie04
    (female)

georgie04 HB User

I've wondered about this too, but I see two different scenarios - one where I was simply too tired to shop let alone cook (even though I did try to keep a handle on the nutrition side of things - kinda hard).

But now, with treatment (although by all accounts I am still hypo), I can quite happily go all day without food - I really have to force myself to eat (and that is NOT my normal disposition ;-)

Closed Thread