It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Puzzled by the Hypo Look

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Puzzled by the Hypo Look

In my endo's office , there are two posters on the exam room wall. On each poster there is a drawing of a naked woman. One woman is hypo. The other is hyper. There are lines out from various bodily parts. Like on the hypo -from the hair , a line out has the words dry, brittle hair , then a line out from the face-saying dry, puffy . The hypo woman looks puffy all over, with pear shaped body. I focus on the hypo , because I have hypothyroid.
    My question is I wonder if these are supposed to be just women who have not been treated. I didn't ask the doc because it was the first time I saw him and I was focused on my list of questions etc. Also I read the symptoms of hypothyroid - the common list we all have probably read. Are these supposed to be before treatment as well? Sometimes I feel like the lady in the drawing on the wall and wonder if I will get better and not have a hypo look.I have been treated now for a little over one year. What puzzles me is why should we have a hypo look if treated because actually we are not hypo when treated, right? Our levels should mirror those of a person who does not have hypothyroid , right? Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Puzzled bythe Hypo Look

My guess is that those are pictures of pp. that are an example of what doctors look at to diagnose the disorder---so I suppose those pp. were pre-treatment.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Reece- what does pp. mean?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

Osteo--I think it stands for people

Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

My endo has the same picture on the wall. I always get up and look at it while I'm waiting for him to come in. Yes, it's supposed to be what you're like BEFORE treatment. If you STILL have the ame symptoms, your dosage isn't right, I would think.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Re: Puzzled by the Hypo Look

Well I just got back from a VERY successful first visit with my endo. He is listed as the city's best! (I didn't know that!). I told him that my old doctor said I "didn't fit the profile of someone with thyroid issues" and I was tired of the years of doctors telling me that I am just depressed. He is the FIRST one to say, "That is the problem with a lot of doctors....they think there is a LOOK when really there is no way to tell from appearance!". Hoppy

Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I would think that the pictures had to be of untreated people.

I had the puffy face really bad. I was put on a low dosage of levothyroxine (50mcgs) and within less then a week the puffiness was gone. Other symptoms like flaky skin on my soles and ankles were gone as well.

I'm sure that it varies from person to person how quickly those symptoms subside.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
    nowegg
    (female)

nowegg HB User

Hi...reading this thread prompted me to join these boards! Almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Lymphedema, due to swelling in my legs, then slowly to my lower arms, hands and face. Funny thing was, I didn't follow alot of the normal patterns of lymphedema which is a horrible condition to have. My feet had swelled to where I am wearing a 8WW shoe, and I can't wear rings or even a watch. I found a dr that specializes in it because the condition is a very big unknown. I went into NYC and had what is called a lymphoscintagraphy done, but my lymphatics were clear. I have gone through all kinds of therapy where my legs get wrapped, just to push the lymph fluid up so it is circulating. I have to be careful of my skin because of infections. To make a long story short, I kept saying to dr's, because of long term sleepiness, weight gain, and the list goes on...could it be my thyroid? Well, they would send me for blood tests, and the TSH would be in the mid 4's but still fall within the normal range that the lab has on the reports. I had been to an endo and everything-and went through a battery of tests as he thought I had all the symptoms of Cushings. However I started reading about how endocrinologists had changed the "normal" range for thyroid issues- I believe to around 2.5-3. But the doctors always went by the lab ranges. I just recently changed my internal medicine md...and she too decided to do thyroid tests due to my lengthy list of complaints. Well, doesn't it FINALLY come back out of the normal range. Not bad- 5.6 I believe TSH and .8 T4 Free.
    Anyhow,what I am getting to is last month I had to go to a dermatologist to have a cyst removed. I said, my lymphedema doctor had asked me what all the tiny red spots on my arms were from, and I flipped over my hands and showed her how my hands were red on the fingertips. She immediately said it's from your thyroid..(and I had JUST been diagnosed with hypo) and she went on to say...all of this edema is from the thyroid too (I wanted to hug her I was so happy) and she said it will go away, however it may take up to a couple of years. I don't care just as long as it goes away!!!!
    Anyhow, I was at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and picked up a book about hypothyroidism- when I opened it up to flip through it, the first pictures were of people with extremely puffy faces, before and after pictures. The doc was calling it myxedema, which he also said was non pitting edema. My swelling is also non pitting. Hopefully my swelling does go away...but I just wanted to let you all know that it does go away with treatment, it just isn't a speedy process.
    Sorry this is so lengthy!!!

Closed Thread