It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
    pemmy
    (female)

pemmy HB User
    Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

carol1207
    How are you doing? Have you had surgery? I am in TN, too. Wondering if we are in the same area. What doctors did you see here? Did you go to FL for surgery. Thanks! Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #32
    carol1207
    (female)

carol1207 HB User

Hi Leida,

I don't like hearing about how you were treated by Dr. Norman by email. That doesn't sound professional. Did you see your tumour on the scan before you went to surgery? Your current levels is where I am at at this time, preparing to go to Tampa. I am curious, have you visited your local endocrinologist to find out what may have gone wrong? I am concerned about your story, and concerned about your health. Please give me your thoughts.

Carol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenormandista View Post
    Hey Guys -

No, you don't need to fast for PTH and/or calcium level tests. Or bone scans. But if you're taking calcium or vitamin D, you might want to stop that a few days before the tests - though if you're hypercalcaemic you shouldn't be taking either of those. Ugh.

Still hanging in there, and having good days and bad days, going home next week.

And for whoever asked (sorry, I'm typing from memory here), Jim Norman is a really good surgeon and he's kind. You won't spend a lot of time talking with him, probably, but he'll let you know what's going on. I'm glad I had the surgery done in Florida, because I don't think anyone else would have found my tumour (didn't show up on the scan, it was tiny and hiding, but it wreaked havoc with me for five years).

FYI, my calcium was usually in the low-to-mid tens, and my PTH was always in the 'allegedly normal' range, too - that's what delayed my diagnosis for so long - everyone was waiting for a high PTH and a high calcium and it just didn't happen. But I had osteoporosis show up on my bone scan, so that kind of clinched the deal. My ionised calcium was always high, too, so that helped, but everyone was thrown by the 'normal' PTH.

IOW, 'normal' PTH is NOT normal if your calcium is high!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #33
    lenormandista
    (female)

lenormandista HB User

Hi Carol -

My endocrinologist here wasn't too well-versed (at all versed?) in parathyroid disease so I don't see her anymore, but my GP is fairly with-it. Unfortunately, my levels were still high last time I had them tested, and I'm having them tested again this week, but if how I feel is any indication - I'm not cured.

Dr N insists I am cured (most recent labs were calcium 10.2, PTH 77, before those it was calcium 10.8, PTH 50, I think? - I don't have the papers handy and I'm translating into American numbers as we go - interestingly, my PTH was maddeningly normal pre-surgery, which is why it took so long to get a diagnosis - now it's higher than ever and seems to be constantly rising), so case closed as far as he's concerned. But I'm not, according to my lab work, or my symptoms. I do understand it can take a while for things to normalise, but they haven't. My regular doc thinks it's ectopic tissue or extra parathyroid glands.

They couldn't localise the tumour they did find on any of the scans, either here or in Tampa, but Dr N did take out a small parathyroid tumour (about half the size of your little fingernail), and biopsied the other three glands, which all looked normal, so it would seem that something is lurking that shouldn't be - ectopic tissue, extra glands, or both.

Why do I have to be so lucky?

I do know a lot of people who've had good experiences with him. But he seems to have developed some kind of god-complex where he can't be wrong, no matter what. He was so horrible to me when I wrote to him with the lab results (which had been faxed to his office), said I was lying, the numbers were completely normal, he'd never speak to me again, and all the swearing. I do think he's a good surgeon. I also think his opinion of himself is so high that it is starting to affect how he treats his patients, and that's not a good sign.

You'll probably be fine if you go to him, and Dr Politz is a lot nicer - so if anything does happen post-surgery, call him.

I do wish you the best of luck, and I hope you're cured - I know how rotten this disease feels.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #34
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User

I have been diagnosed with thyroiditis from ultrasound scan and almost normal labs except tsh .50. I have been wondering about a parathyroid issue also. I have delveoloped several kidney stones in the last 1 1/2 yrs and extreme gerd along with hyperthyroid symptoms. I just started a ppi a few weeks ago.

I had my calcium checked numerous times in the last few months and only one pth test of 31 while ca was 10.2

I read his website and it states something like if calcium is elavated then pth should be at or near 0. When I was tested 8/7 ca was 10.2 and pth was 31. I was taking antacids for a few weeks for the gerd . Is this normal or should pth have been lower. Could the antacids have caused calcium to be up effecting the test. I am wondering if I could have this. Any one have any ideas.

last year 9/7/07 calcium 9.5
    10/7/07 9.6

calcium levels This year
    7/16 10.5
    8/2 9.2
    8/7 10.2
    8/12 9.8
    8/14 9.1

8/7 pth 31

Vitamin d 25 hydroxy 21.2 range 32.0 -100.00

vitamin d, 125 hydroxy 15.6 range 15.9-55.6

Last edited by michelle221; 09-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

michelle221,
    Hi, I have also been diagnosed with thyroiditis from an ultrasound. And I too am wondering about my parathyorid. My calcium is basically where yours is most of the time. I did have 3 spikes, 11.0, 10.9, 11.0. But I did not get a pth with that, so I do not know where that was.
    I have forwarded my information to Dr. Norman for review, because I want to rule this in or out of the equation. I have been sick for 18 months and would like to get some resolution to this soon.
    Sounds like we are in the same boat, sitting right on the line. lol
    Keep me posted.
    mmee

Last edited by mmee; 09-03-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: grammar error

Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #36
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, I can not believe you have not yet been treated for your troubles! It sure seems like you have had a lot of symptoms. I hope that Dr. Norman can help you too. As you know he took out my left lobe of my Thyroid and one parathyroid gland in February. I am doing fine now and feeling so much better. Best of luck to you. Pam

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #37
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    I am so glad that you are feeling better. That is so wonderful to hear.
    I know, I can not believe that this has not come to a conclusion yet too.
    I finally just said, well I know I have to spend the $1250, but it is worth it rule this disease in or out, because I am getting desperate. So, at least I will know one way or the other if I have hyperparathyroid or not.
    I will post back when I hear from Dr. Norman.
    I am so glad that you are doing better.
    mmee

Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #38
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, It was hard to spend that money I know, but after I did it I was relieved! I know that my doctors would have avoided the parathyroid issues forever had I let them. It was strange that I developed such a large nodule on my thryoid which lead me to a surgeon that diagnosed it finally. Both Thyroiditis and a bad parathyroid! I hope you hear from them soon. Please keep me posted! Pamlr

Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Hi, that is interesting I have thyroiditis too. My right lobe is enlarged. I will let you know when I hear from Dr. Norman.
    thanks,
    mmee

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #40
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User

mmee,

Hi I wrote dr norman an email also. He said while not official he does not think parathyroid so I will just keep following up on my pth and calcium. What are your thyroiditis symptoms and do you know what kind of thyrodiitis. Are you in hyper or hypo phase?

Last edited by michelle221; 09-04-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #41
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

michelle221,
    Thanks for letting me know that. I am still waiting to hear from him.
    I am in the hyper phase right now. Are you hypo or hyper? I have rapid heart rate, overall hyperness at times, then competely exhausted times. Lots of pain all over the body and many more.
    What are you symptoms?
    mmee

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #42
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User

mmee,

I am hyper and have been for 3 months! I hope it goes away soon. I have anxiety like crazy nervousness palps racing heart diarreah and lost 20 lbs. I also have body aches everywhere. Pain from a car wreck in 96 where I broke my sacrum is coming back really bad and I hurt to sit or walk. It went away mostly and I could deal with it up until the thyroiditis started. This is maddening. I am so anxious in the mornings and nights. Its like a neverending panic attack. I have had these a few times before and having them all the time is so tiring and draining on me. Do you have silent thyroiditis or another kind? That is what she told me she thinks I have. How long have you been hyper?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #43
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

michelle221,
    I have had this for 18 months and I was told that it would have to 'burn out.' I have all of those symptoms too that you are talking about. It is quite scarey, quite scarey.
    I am so ready for this to go away too. I take inderal and klonopin, but uhhhhh. I just want it to go away.
    Keep me posted.
    mmee

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #44
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User

mmee,

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am so sorry you are having all the same things. My endo called today and I have no tsi or tpo antibodies. My labs were tsh .50 and free
    t4 1.14 and free t3 2.6 and she said is fairly normal just a little low tsh. She said now it could be subclinical hyper or still thyroiditis since the scan said it ,but she said it should have very little symptoms! I have no idea if she really knows what she is talking about. I just called the psychiatry dept at a big hospital near me with one of the best psychiatry depts in the us and made an appt for tues. She said they work with GI closely so they can hopefully get some of this under control. I have some clonopin and starting that today. The xanax i have been trying wears off fast and the anxiety comes back. I cant take beta blocker I have normal 95/60 or less BP so too risky. It spikes throughout the day and goes 134/88 highest 125/80 etc. My BPM are usually in the 90's most of the time which really scares me.

I was looking at your other posts for your symptoms and we seem really like we have the same thing. I have also tested for b12 and was low 171 and got a shot. I am low on vit d25 it was 21 and at exactly the low normal range for d 125. 15.6 I was neg for lyme and I should get a candida test soon. I will ask monday. I have been on antibiotics off an on this year for kidney and I am taking augmentin 875. now for acute sinusitis in all regions the found from brain mri recently. My tongue just turned white from them. They tried to give me cipro and flagyl but It kept making my neuropathy worse so I had to stop. I also am taking protonix for gerd for about a month and my symptoms of bone and muscle pain seem worse since taking it. I was just taking tums before. I am wondering if the ppis seem to cause malabsorbtion and deficiencys which cause us symptoms. I get and endoscopy on the 12th of sept also.

Last edited by michelle221; 09-05-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #45
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

michelle221,
    Hi,
    It seems like we are exactly alike in so many ways. My tsh is running about 0.6 but then can spike up to 1.61 very quickly. I too was diagnosed by the scan as thyroiditis.
    Yesterday I got a phone call from Dr. Politz at Tampa, and he said that it is 95% chance that I do have a parathyroid tumor, so I am going for surgery now on that. They will call next week to set up my surgery date. I am hoping so much that this is it. I am very excited to have the surgery.
    Keep me posted.
    mmee

Closed Thread