It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #46
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User
    Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

Mmee,

I m so glad you found out whats wrong. I hope this is whats wrong and they can fix it for you. A diagnosis makes a person feel so much better. I am going to keep a close check on my pth and calcium to see if it does go up a little more . If it does then I wil pay for the consultation. Let me know when you have your surgery and how it goes. I think Dr Norman is the best out there so I trust you should be in good hands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #47
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, I am so glad to hear you are going to have your surgery finally. I bet you will feel so much better. I had such bad indigestion at the end I did not want to eat! But, I was somewhat heavy (don't know why except probably depressed from not feeling well) I have now lost about 19 pounds since 2-4-08! My bone pain is almost nonexistant now! I have a little arthritis but I am older (55). So anyways please keep me posted on your trip and how surgery goes. Take a scarf for your neck as it will swell a little and I felt self concious for a little while afterwards. The scar can not even be seen now it is about 3/4 inch long and my OBGYN could not even find it he was amazed. Remember too that they took our the left half of my Thyroid so maybe your swelling will be less too. I did not like the Ybor City location and would suggest you pick another area to stay in closer to the hospital. So best of luck, I imagine in 4-5 weeks you'll have had it done! Pamlr

Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #48
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thank you so much. I am the same way, my indigestion is so bad and my stomach is so swelled up, it is unbelievable, but yet I am so much heavier than I used to be. Thanks for letting me know about Ybor, I will remember that when we schedule reservations.
    Did your tumor show up on the sestambi?

michelle221,
    Thanks so much.

I will keep you both posted. I am hoping to get my surgery scheduled on Monday or Tuesday, then the countdown begins. lol

Thanks,
    mmee

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #49
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, Ybor is an old Cuban downtown area that they are renovating and while it is not bad it is just not what we liked. It is unique and there is just a couple of blocks that you can walk on that are decent. There is a theater there right near the hotel we stayed in and the trolley does run to different areas, but nevertheless just my opinion and I did not see the other hotels areas so I can't say what would be there either to compare. I think Ybor is a draw because it is a college campus area, but while we were there we did not see much of anyone, I think the Sat. before the Sunday we arrived they had had like a Mardi Gras type of event in the town so Sunday was pretty locked up from the effects of the party night before. Plus I think it was Super Bowl Sunday, so that may have made it worse. But we were just there Sunday and Monday night then we left town. I did hear too that there is not much open in Tampa at night too. So anyways this is long and I just hope it all goes well for you. The answer to the scan question is no. Neither here in our state or on the scan in Florida did they find the parathyroid that was bad, mine was blocked behind my large Thyroid Nodule, but I have a picture of both that they gave me! Can't believe they fit in my neck!
    Well I bet you will hear in the next couple of days so let us know when and we'll say a prayer for good things to come! Pamlr

Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #50
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks so much for the information.
    Just another question if you don't mind, were your numbers always high or did they jump around?
    Mine are jumping around from normal to high.
    Thanks,
    mmee

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #51
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Actually my numbers were always high until (and this is funny) right before surgery they fell. I do not know why but my calcium level had been above 10.5 for a long time and up to 10.9 was the highest, I had felt ill for a few years. I felt even worse when they dropped right before surgery. The doctors there in Florida both said that it was not unusual for them to fluctuate. My PTH fluctuated too, I do not remember what it was exactly. Pamlr

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #52
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks, that eases my mind. My numbers are actually going between 9.5 and 11.0. My pth has never been out of normal range, so I guess that it is the 'inappropriately normal.' My pth is running from 22 to 49.5.
    Thanks so much,
    Missy

Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #53
    michelle221
    (female)

michelle221 HB User

mmee your numbers going from 9.5 to 11.00 with lower pth really makes me want to keep an eye on this. I think my next dr visit or physical this month I will get both checked again since my calcium usually fluctuates 9.5 -10.5 and only one pth of 31 so maybe my pth will be a little higher and will help give a better picture of what is going on. The drs here all think to have parathyroid your calcium has to be way up like 12s and high pth. They will not listen! Duke which is in my town, has a good endo dept, they do parathyroid mini surgery, and they are on his website so I also made an apt with them but endo is booked until jan 16th so long wait. I have a nice gastro ,who would probably run any test I would like, so I will get him to keep a check on levels.

did you get a bone scan also? that may be an option for me. I heard the sem scan is sort of unreliable as a test so I will probably not bother.

My indigestion and gerd was getting really bad when this started I was going through tums like crazy and now I am on ppi but still have to eat tums and have indigestion. I also have had tons of kidney stones keep coming out of nowhere.

Last edited by michelle221; 09-08-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #54
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

michelle221,
    I am glad that you are going to keep an eye on your calcium. My calcium was generally in the low 10's until March of this year and it spiked to 10.9 then back to 9.8 then up to low 10's again and then 11.0 and then down to 9.5 then low 10's back to 11.0, ect. But I really did not get the spikes until this year, before that it was holding in the 10's for the most part.
    I did not have a DEXA scan done, but I did have a bone density through lifeline and a cervical and ls spine mri. The bone density tested showed bone loss and the cervical and ls spine mri showed a fair amount of damage.

I know what you mean about the indigestion, mine is so bad, it is unbelievable. -uhhhh
    Keep me posted on how you are.
    mmee

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #55
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, I believe that my PTH levels were usually normal and did have one the month before surgery that was out of range. Pamlr

Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #56
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks for letting me know that. That has worried me a little bit, because my pths are well within normal limits.
    Thanks,
    mmee

Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #57
    mistygreen
    (female)

mistygreen HB User
    Question Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

Hi Mmee, I have just read briefly some of your posts....Have you gotten a conclusive diagnosis? I am finally decided re surgery/doctor, etc.. Not able to go to Dr Norman in Fl.so having it done near home........so wish me luck. What's up with you? Please point me in direction of where I can read about others surgeries and recuperations... Thanks, Misty ps. Will fill you in on details after it's over... Everyone be well...great support here,,,thanks.

Last edited by mistygreen; 09-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #58
    mistygreen
    (female)

mistygreen HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

[QUOTE=pamlr;3536517]mmee, I can so relate! I suffered with bone pain, hips, shoulders, clavicle, feet for over 2 years. I had minimally high calcium levels with my highest being 10.9 but always over 10.2 for over 7 years! Mmee do not wait to do something. The calcium in your blood will make you sick!.

Hi guys........so happy for anyone who has had this procedure and is feeling better. I had no problem with doctors making the diagnosis, lucky me!(I feel is really a shame for those who got the run around.....Lost time and quality of life is the price you have paid by your MD's missing the diagnosis.) The part I had trouble with was picking a surgeon. I cannot go to Tampa......so please wish me luck....I am in the hands of an experienced surgeon who has done this procedure many times. I will post after it's over. . . It is hard to have a stranger do such an important operation on us, isn't it? High Anxiety!!! Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 09-09-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typos

Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #59
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

mistygreen,
    Goodluck to you with your surgery. My surgery is scheduled for October 6th.
    I wish you lots of luck.
    mmee

Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #60
    mistygreen
    (female)

mistygreen HB User

HI MMEE, Thanks for your good wishes....the same to you. You have been thru so much......I seem to have missed how you finally got the diagnosis,,, and WHERE are you having the surgery? Please keep in touch with me, and if for any reason this board closes.. start another? (like where are you??mmee>surgical updates, whatever!!!) I will say a prayer for the best possible outcome for you. Misty:angel

Last edited by mistygreen; 09-09-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Closed Thread