It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #61
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User
    Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

Mmee, Good to hear you have your surgery scheduled! I am sure all will go well and you will feel better afterward. It takes a few weeks for your other parathyroid glands to kick in but don't get discouraged afterwards they do. I had to take up to 10 calcium tablets a day for I think at least two weeks or more. Then I tapered off to about four for a couple months, now two does the job! Do you have all your flight, hotel, and such taken care of? Where did you end up getting reservations? Pamlr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #62
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

mistygreen,
    Thank you. I am having my surgery in Tampa.

pamlr,
    Thanks so much. I just can't wait for him to say, 'yes, we have found a tumor.' That worries me more than anything else. -uhh
    I still have not set up the arrangements yet. I need to do that. We are actually driving too. I am so afraid to fly, since a bad flight that we had on the way home from Las Vegas a few years ago. When I got on the ground, I said I am never leaving the ground again. lol
    I will let you know where I get reservations.
    Were you worried at all that they would not be able to find a tumor? That is what I am most afraid of.
    Thanks,
    mmee

Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #63
    mistygreen
    (female)

mistygreen HB User

MMEE, Good Luck in TAMPA... I remember you said it was going to be in early October.. and that you are driving?? Have a safe trip. I am sure you will do fine. Please keep in touch,, even if you have to start a new thread.(parathyroid grads?)
    Best of luck, positive thoughts are with you. Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 09-30-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos

Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #64
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

mistygreen,
    Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
    mmee

Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #65
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, My prayers on with you for safe travel, sucessful operation, and speedy recovery! Please let us know how you are doing! I think you will do much better than you anticipate. It was really easier than I had anticipated! Pamlr

Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #66
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks so much. I am absolutely terrified that the tumor is not going to be there, but I am sure that we all felt that way.
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
    mmee

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #67
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, If your calcium is high even on and off, the tumor is more than likely there! When do you leave and where did you end up staying at in Tampa? Pamlr

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #68
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks. We are leaving on Friday and we are staying at the Courtyard Marriot.
    My calcium has been intermittently high, that is why I am so nervous probably.
    Thanks so much.
    mmee

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #69
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, Here is the senario that I experienced. All of 2006 + 2007 I experienced bone pain and slightly elevated calcium levels. Looking back at prior years blood work I had slightly elevated blood calcium levels, without pain. By January 2008 (right before surgery) my blood calcium levels, came within the normal range a couple of times, but this is when I felt the worst. Developed indigestion along with the bone pain, and did not feel like eating at the very last. Anyways my thought here is maybe you are in the part of the disease that the calcium levels do drop at times. According to Dr. Politz as I ran this by him right before surgery he said this is not unusual. So go without fear! You are about to, after a short recovery period, experience the health you used to have! I am glad you choose the Marriott! Please know I am praying for you! I want an update as soon as you are up to it! Are you staying any extra time in Florida? Oh, one last comment, take the calcium, take the extra calcium should you need it post surgery, and if your calcium is low you will know it. Mine was for at least a month - 6 weeks. You do not feel great with low calcium, so take the extra and keep in touch with the clinic for advice should you have the low calcium issue until your other parathyroid glands take over! Pamlr

Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #70
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Hey everyone, I didnt know my post has still continued as I stopped coming to this website after I started to feel better. Please note that Dr. Normans entire staff of doctors reviewed my case and my PTH was shutting down as it was suppose to be doing. His assistant doctor called me personally on the phone that it is NOT a parathyroid problem. My symptoms were apparently from meds I was taking and thyroid etc. Hope everyone does get better and wish them the best!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #71
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

wdiguy,
    I am so glad that you are feeling better.
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your calcium and pth levels? Also what medicines were you on? And did you have hyper or hypo thyroid problems? I am just wondering, if you don't mind me asking.
    But I am so very glad that you are feeling better.
    mmee

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #72
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Pamlr-

Just want to compare notes! I had a complete thyroidectomy last January, and my calcium dropped. The only way I knew was my hands and feet got tingly. Popping some Tums made it go away. Can you tell me all what you felt/experienced with low calcium?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #73
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    We are staying a day or 2 extra just to make sure that everything is okay, and then we are heading back home again.
    I have a daughter, 5 cats, and 6 hermit crabs that my mom will be taking care of, so I better not stay away too long. lol
    Thanks so much for your kind words.
    mmee

Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #74
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Sue1234, I had my left lobe removed and 1 parathyroid gland. I experienced tingling all over face, legs, and shaking pretty badly. I had mine done Feb. 4th 2008. I still experience some tingling but not near as bad. I test ok for thyroid but I still feel it is related to the right lobe I have left. But compared to the two prior years I can deal with this. You must be on Thryoid replacement. Pamlr

Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #75
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, you have a house full to take care of. Is the trip a long one by car? You are really going to feel fine afterwards, I bet one day would be enough. However if you could enjoy the sunshine it may be worth and extra day! Pamlr

Closed Thread