It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #91
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User
    Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

pamlr,
    Thanks for letting me know that.
    How are you doing with your thyroid now?
    The Marriot was great. It was really really nice.
    I was number 3 of the day and then got pushed back to number 4 because my sestambi was not done ontime. But really the wait was not long at all. It all went by very quickly.
    I got sick on the anestesia, but they were giving me medication and I never threw up, so I was so thankful for that. They really stayed on top of that. I told them beforehand and that really helped.
    I am glad that you are starting to feel better. I guess, one day at a time. Are you on any kind of thyroid medication now?
    mmee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #92
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

Mmee, No I am not on Thyroid Medication but, feel I may need it. I just have a few weird symptoms. I am glad all went well for you so be patient and you will soon feel better. Pamlr

Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #93
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

pamlr,
    Thanks so much. I hope that your last symptoms go away too.
    mmee

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #94
    hsco123
    (female)

hsco123 HB User

Hi everyone,
    I was diagnosed in August with hyperparathyroidism and found Dr. Norman on the internet. I spoke with Dr. Norman and I am going down to Tampa the first week of November to have the tumor removed. I am extremely nervous about the pain after the surgery and the whole process, I've never had surgery before and am only 29 years old. I watched the mini surgery on the internet and it seems like it would be pretty painful afterwards. Can you tell me what the process was like?
    Also, I have questions for Dr. Norman regarding my health following the operation, but he seems very impatient and sarcastic on the phone. Would it be better for me to talk with Dr. Politz?
    Thanks in advance!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #95
    lizzy595
    (female)

lizzy595 HB User

hsco123, I have only talked to Dr Politz and he is very nice. I am scheduled for surgery at the end of Oct. I've mainly heard negative things about Dr. Norman's civility. He sounds more like Dr. House in the way he relates to his patients. I'm sure he must be a good surgeon, but maybe they should keep him off the phone. Frankly yours, lizzy

Last edited by lizzy595; 10-12-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: rewrite

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #96
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

I found Dr. Norman and Dr. Politz to be very considerate before and after surgery. I spoke with both and while Dr. Norman has a different style he is professional and addresses your needs. I think everyone that travels to Florida should have great back up medical care in the state they reside in should question arise. I believe that is the way it works best when you have a Dr. out of your area do the surgery. They were great surgeons, my scar is so minimal, the pain is minimal and really it is so much easier than you would think! Pamlr

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #97
    hsco123
    (female)

hsco123 HB User

Pamlr and Lizzy:

Thank you for your responses, it is helpful. I have no doubt that Dr. Norman is a great doctor and will do a good job, that's why I'm flying down to see him. If it weren't for him I never would have found out I had this disease! I was just hesitant to ask him some questions b/c of his responses on the phone. But as my sister says (she's a doctor too), it's a good thing for a surgeon to have a certain amount of confidence. I'm just anxious to get it over with and start feeling better, as I'm sure you both understand.

Lizzy - good luck with your surgery!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #98
    pamlr
    (female)

pamlr HB User

HSCO123, I was wondering what were your symptoms that lead you to this diagnosis? Is your calcium level high? I really feel that once the tumor is removed in a few months your symptoms will disappear. It is not overnight. A few weeks maybe a 2-3 months. My bone pain was gone pretty quickly, my surgery was in Feb. but now I really realize how much it really hurt, I walk into the grocery store now and don't worry how far I have to walk. My hips would hurt so bad. My good news was I had no bone loss from it. I could have. You are so young but I guess all ages can be affected. So it will be interesting to hear what your symptoms were. I can only tell you that the surgery is easy and the pain is not too bad. I really would not spend time worrying about it too much. Pamlr

Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #99
    hsco123
    (female)

hsco123 HB User

Pamlr,
    I came across by calcium levels by accident. As far back as I can get medical records (4 years), I apparently had significantly elevated calcium (10.6 - now 11.7). My dad is also a doctor and re-ran my blood tests recently to check something else out, and noticed the 11.7 calcium. None of my other doctors had ever told me about the elevated calcium, and I had my blood tested every 6 months or so. We figured it out from there (and dr. norman's website). After talking to Dr. Norman, I realized I actually do have symptoms. Mainly, bad headaches, low bone density, and passing out every few months, unexpectedly. I've passed out on an nyc subway, at work, etc. etc. I am tired, but I work long hours and exercise a lot so I'm not sure if it's my lifestyle or the hyperparathyroidism. We'll see!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #100
    mistygreen
    (female)

mistygreen HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmee View Post
    pamlr,

The Marriot was great. It was really really nice.
    I was number 3 of the day and then got pushed back to number 4 because my sestambi was not done ontime. But really the wait was not long at all. It all went by very quickly.

mmee
    Greetings to all you guys here dealing with this PARATHYROID journey....whether you need surgery, or not.. all the best everyone .. But, I especially .wanted to say.........
    HELLO,, MMEE... so glad to see your surgery is OVER, that they DID find the tumor, and that it;s behind you. I can relate,as I had my surgery a few weeks before you had yours. A few questions for you.. I am wondering if you had much pain, and how you felt about traveling, etc afterward>? How did your Drs react to your going to Tampa( as I recall you were not going to tell them in advance?) HOW would you rate your experience with the Tampa team>? any details you care to share, pro or con? ( I had considered going there too,, but decided to stay up north instead,, all went well for me here,, but it was not an easy decision).How are you feeling now?. My biggest improvements so far are LESS aches, pains, and less fatigue. NOW we are PARATHYROID GRADS!!!!! I think if you give it time, you will notice an improvement in your overall well being...I look forward to following your progress.. be well, and keep in touch. Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 10-13-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #101
    reneeinmlu
    (female)

reneeinmlu HB User

I haven't posted here in maybe about a week, so I figured it was time for an update. I've pretty much been trying to not think about this for the past week and have even put off checking on which doctor took United Healthcare. My doctor is back in town now though so I should find out the results to all the test I had done last Wednesday, soon. A heads up for any of you still looking for a surgeon and those of you who happen to have United Healthcare. As you recall, I had narrowed my search down to three surgeons and was going to check and see who took my health insurance. Today, Dr. Ferris from The University of Pittsburg called me to check in with me. I have been speaking with him through email since I found out about having this Parathyroid adenoma. As some of you may recall, I also spoke with Dr. Norman who was very short and cocky with me advising that if I had the scan and ultrasound test done here at home, he would not take my case, because as he put it, I was "uninformed." That is when I started searching for another surgeon. It was my opinion then and remains my opinion that there are surgeons out there who do this same exact surgery and do it well. I have heard many good things about Dr. Norman but I have also heard some pretty bad things as well. Confidence is important in a surgeon but it is also important that you treat your patients with respect and kindness. Is it too much to ask for both? Also I read several places of him pretty much leaving you hanging if something goes wrong with the surgery. Whether it is true or not, I have no clue. All I know is that if you can find a surgeon who is good at what he does and has the experience and he is professional, kind and caring, then we do have other options out there. We do not have to go with a surgeon who makes us feel as though we are bothering him, who curses us or who speaks down to us. I have decided to go with Dr. Robert Ferris from The University of Pittsburg. He has been very professional, very caring and always responds promptly to any emails I have written him and is more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He was driving this afternoon, coming back from Johns Hopkins, where he had just spoke and called me to check in with me to see if I had gotten the results back from my tests last Wednesday,see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He did this on his own, without me even asking him to. I've been scared about this condition and really really worried. He has made me feel a lot better and I feel confident that I am in good hands. I've decided to have the surgery the week after my son graduates from basic training in November. I will keep you all posted. I am quite sure that Dr. Norman is an excellent surgeon and everyone has to respect that but I just wanted all of you to know that if you do not feel completely comfortable with him, you do have other options. It is important that you feel good about who you choose, before and after your sugery. Good luck to you all. I will post my results once I get them.

Renee

Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #102
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Renee,

Does Dr. Ferris do thyroidectomies too? I would love to go to Pittsburgh if I have to have surgery at some point. Great city. I grew up there but haven't been back in awhile. Good luck!!! Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding the city. Fam

Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #103
    reneeinmlu
    (female)

reneeinmlu HB User

Hi Fam,

Yes, Dr. Ferris does those as well. He has been wonderful.

Where do you live now? Are you in that area at all still? I am going to fly up from Louisiana. I think my surgery will be at St. Margarets. Talk to you soon.

Renee

Last edited by moderator2; 10-15-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: please read and follow the rules for posting about doctors

Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #104
    whozqueen
    (female)

whozqueen HB User

Hi Renee! I am just down the road from you in Ruston, Louisiana! I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidsm in 2005. My family doctor in West Monroe was treating me for hypothyroidism and postpartum depression and my calcium kept coming back high, so he tested my parathyroid hormone and that was also high so then he sent me for a sestamibi scan at St. Francis and had me take that over to a general surgeon in North Monroe who had only done a handful of parathyroid surgeries, and of course it was the old type where they practically cut off your head trying to look for the thing. I said no thanks and found Dr. Norman on the web (it took me awhile to convince myself that he was legitimate). He is a bit curt, as he told me that my sestamibi scan was not worth the film it was on. Bedside before surgery he made sure to tell me what an idiot my primary care Dr. was (who diagnosed me, so how does that make him stupid, I wonder). The surgery was a breeze, he said they found the adenoma and removed it. (although he did make a strange comment, he said that he saw my thyroid and it did not look to him like here was anything wrong with it and so he doubted my hypothyroid diagnosis. I'm wondering, since when do you diagnosis hypothyroidsm by looking at the thyroid? weird) So all my post surgery labs were good, it seems I had been cured. But not so fast! This spring I was feeling just awful so I saw an internist here at Green Clinic, she ran loads of tests, and the results were: a 10.5 calcium. I'm like, excuse me!? Knowing my history, she referred me to Dr. Sanson (I bet thats who you are seeing too). Took me forever to get an appointment with her, but she spent like an hour with me, which was great. Sent me for every test under the sun. Urine, Vitamin D, Creatine, Thyroid, Liver, Kidneys, Phosphorus, all were fine. Calcium was 10.2. PTH was "high". Can't remember the #. Unbelievable. She says I could have another adenoma, or hyperplasia or inherited familial. She says she won't bother sending me for a sestamibi cause she is familiar with Dr. Norman and knows he will just put it in the trash can. But she sent me for an ultrasound this morning. Don't know the results. I've been researching and I think the do minimally invasive at Oschner in New Orleans. Maybe thats where I'm headed. -Hilary

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
    I haven't posted here in maybe about a week, so I figured it was time for an update. I've pretty much been trying to not think about this for the past week and have even put off checking on which doctor took United Healthcare. My doctor is back in town now though so I should find out the results to all the test I had done last Wednesday, soon. A heads up for any of you still looking for a surgeon and those of you who happen to have United Healthcare. As you recall, I had narrowed my search down to three surgeons and was going to check and see who took my health insurance. Today, Dr. Ferris from The University of Pittsburg called me to check in with me. I have been speaking with him through email since I found out about having this Parathyroid adenoma. As some of you may recall, I also spoke with Dr. Norman who was very short and cocky with me advising that if I had the scan and ultrasound test done here at home, he would not take my case, because as he put it, I was "uninformed." That is when I started searching for another surgeon. It was my opinion then and remains my opinion that there are surgeons out there who do this same exact surgery and do it well. I have heard many good things about Dr. Norman but I have also heard some pretty bad things as well. Confidence is important in a surgeon but it is also important that you treat your patients with respect and kindness. Is it too much to ask for both? Also I read several places of him pretty much leaving you hanging if something goes wrong with the surgery. Whether it is true or not, I have no clue. All I know is that if you can find a surgeon who is good at what he does and has the experience and he is professional, kind and caring, then we do have other options out there. We do not have to go with a surgeon who makes us feel as though we are bothering him, who curses us or who speaks down to us. I have decided to go with Dr. Robert Ferris from The University of Pittsburg. He has been very professional, very caring and always responds promptly to any emails I have written him and is more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He was driving this afternoon, coming back from Johns Hopkins, where he had just spoke and called me to check in with me to see if I had gotten the results back from my tests last Wednesday,see how I was doing and if I had any questions. He did this on his own, without me even asking him to. I've been scared about this condition and really really worried. He has made me feel a lot better and I feel confident that I am in good hands. I've decided to have the surgery the week after my son graduates from basic training in November. I will keep you all posted. I am quite sure that Dr. Norman is an excellent surgeon and everyone has to respect that but I just wanted all of you to know that if you do not feel completely comfortable with him, you do have other options. It is important that you feel good about who you choose, before and after your sugery. Good luck to you all. I will post my results once I get them.

Renee

Closed Thread