It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Do you think this is thyroid or weak adrenals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Do you think this is thyroid or weak adrenals?

Hi everyone - i just got back from a week in Florida and I felt very ill at the beginning of my vacation and wonder if it is related to my thyroid or adrenals. I've been on thyroid meds almost a year now and seemed to be doing pretty well. I've also been taking supplements to help strengthen my adrenals as my doc said I have adrenal fatigue but was not bad enough to start hydrocortisone. Had a VERY stressful work week before I left on vacation, trying to handle new responsibilities in addition to wrapping up my usual duties as nobody does any of my work when I am gone. Also had the extra stress of getting ready for vacation etc. and only got like 2 hours of sleep the night before we left. Felt pretty good when I woke up but after we stopped for breakfast I began to feel like I was going to pass out. On the way to the airport I also felt very weird, and it seemed like my arms were very heavy and sluggish (i wonder if I actually dozed off while riding in the car at one point). Felt on the verge of passing out pretty much the whole day. Then the next day was not 100% but had moments where I thought I would pass out. Third day once again felt pretty bad and sluggish. Also had issues falling asleep but sleeping in a room with a snoring hubby and both my kids did not help. At first I wondered if it was heart related and if I was on the verge of having a heart attack or stroke, though I never had any chest pain or any other symptoms. And in fact was vacation so it was very active, and never even had any shortness of breath. Then I wondered if it was low blood sugar or some issue such as that, (though I've never had any issues with that) as it seemed to be very prominant after at least 2 meals. Also, for 4 or 5 days before vacation I used some whitening strips in the mornings and evenings and I wonder if using those interfered with my body absorbing the thyroid meds ~ although the symptoms I had were not the ones I had at diagnosis.

I know I am rambling, and I will be making an appointment with my doc to get their opinion, but it also helps to get the opinions of others who might have experienced any of this.

After the first few days of vacation I felt pretty good. Then we got home yesterday and I am experiencing vertigo. This was one of my thyroid symptoms, but I seem to get this anytime I fly so I think it is related more to the flight than my thyroid. Other than that still feel good.

I'm wondering if the whiteneing strips might have affected my thyroid meds, if the extra stress was too much for my weakened adrenals (though I've never had the shakinesss associated with adrenal fatigue), if this was some sort of anxiety attack (which I've only had when being very hypo) or if this is something new. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks! (Vacation was GREAT though ~ even though I did not feel 100% in the beginning.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Do you think this is thyroid or weak adrenals?

Because of the shakiness and feeling faint it sounds a great deal like anxiety to me.

When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism my doctor prescribed xanax because I've been prone to anxiety/panic attacks since I've gone hypo. She keeps me on a very tight leash as far as the amount she prescribes and it is a low dose but I definetly keep them on hand.

I probably have adrenal fatigue also. Each time she raises my thyroid medication dosage I wake up in a very borderline anxiety state a lot of mornings and take a half a xanax.

Be sure to describe your symptoms to your doc and ask about prescribing you a very mild sedative or something for anxiety.

BTW - if you start the shakiness, fear and anxiety and feel like you are going to pass out........set with your head between your knees, put a cold wet towel on the back of your neck and take deep breathes. I had the Mother of all panic attacks last year and my daughter had me do that and it turned the situation around quickly.

Good luck

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 10-15-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Thanks Barbara Ann - I actually did not have shakiness. I know that is a sign of adrenal fatigue but did not experience it, just felt faint and weird. I appreciate your response.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hey - do those whitening strips have flouride in them? If so, they possibly could have affected the absorption of your meds. I'm really leary of flouride.

What hormone dosage are you on? Has it been increased in the last month or so?

The reason I'm asking is because, mine was increased almost 2 months ago and I'm having a horrible time adjusting to the increase. I only went up 12 more mcgs (100 - from 88) but it is making my life more H.... each day. I didn't notice a big problem with other increases but this one is knocking me for a loop. I get new lab work next week then I'm getting off this and back down I can't stand it. Aching muscles in arms, hair loss, pvcs (that are driving me crazy).

Some of your symptoms sound like something to do with your dosage. Too much or too little.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Whiteneing strips do not have flouride in them, I checked that before I bought them. These are the listed ingredients: PVP, water, PEG 400, Methacrylic Acid Co-Polymer, Hydrogen Peroxide, Sodium Saccharin, Disodium EDTA, Poloxamer.

And I'm on 75 mcg of Synthroid and have been from day one.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quick update - went to the doc today and my BP was WAY up, 170/100. It also skyrocketed last year when I was diagnosed HYPO so we are guessing that my labs will show my meds need to be adjusted. Also back on more BP meds til it comes back down. I took it again at home and it was down to 148/88 so that made me feel better. I should have results of bloodwork back tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well BP was pretty normal yesterday after doubling one dose fo Toprol XL. Here are my latest labs and the previous ones. Does look like my TSH is going up and FT4 and FT3 are falling (especially FT3). I'm hoping this is the reason for my BP spikes and that its not something else. I will be raising Synthroid from 75 to 88 MCG.

Felt great right before:
    5/22/2007
    TSH: 1.59
    FT4: 1.5 (.8-1.8)
    FT3: 332 (230-***)

10/24/2007
    TSH: 2.25
    FT4: 1.3 (.8-1.8)
    FT3: 269 (230-***)

Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 AM   #8
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

There are a couple of simple tests you can do to check for adrenal fatigue. While a 24-hour cortisol saliva test is really best, these tests can at least let you know if you're heading in the right direction.

1. The pupil test - You need to be in a darkened room with a mirror. From the side (not the front), shine a bright light like a flashlight or penlight towards your pupils and hold it for about a minute. Watch the pupil. With healthy adrenals, your pupils will constrict, and will stay small the entire time. In adrenal fatigue, the pupil will get small, but within 30 seconds or less, it will soon enlarge again or obviously flutter in it’s attempt to stay constricted.

2. Light sensitivity test - This can be done at the same time as the pupil test. When you have the light in your eyes, is it painful or uncomfortable? Do you get a bad headache in addition to the sensitivity?

3. Monitor your temps - Take your temps 3, 6 and 9 hours after waking and chart them for at least a week. Now figure out the average temp for each day. If the average daily temps are steady (within .2 degrees) but low then its most likely hypo. If the average daily temperatures fluxuate more than that from day to day, its most likely adrenal fatigue. Low, fluxuating temps are a combination of hypo and AF.

4. Positional Blood Pressure- This is best if you have a dr or a friend help you with this. Lie down for about 5 minutes and then take your BP. Then stand up and take the BP again. If your BP drops, then you probably have adrenal fatigue. If it goes up, this is normal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nyxie63; 10-27-2007 at 04:02 AM.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Nyxie. Yes, I am aware of these tests. Pupils flutter away, and I do have sensitivity to light. I have not tried the BP test, but my BP has been all over the place. It was high when I was diagnosed hypo and with adrenal fatigue a year ago and I know a typical symptom of adrenal fatigue is low blood pressure so I am a bit odd in that category. I'm sure I still have the adrenal fatigue, I just woner if it has improved some since then.

Closed Thread