It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Biopsy shows Follicular Lesion - Qs about surgery and travel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
    gnomey75
    (female)

gnomey75 HB User
    Biopsy shows Follicular Lesion - Qs about surgery and travel

Hi Everyone, I had an u/s on my thyroid and it showed a vascular nodule measuring 3.3 x 2.8 x 1.2 cm. I had a biopsy which revealed it to be a follicular lesion and it was very vascular. Dr. initially suggested we do another u/s in 6 months to see if it shrunk. However, hubby and I would like to try for another baby soon so Dr. would like to remove the nodule and the left lobe of the thyroid. I see the Dr. on Nov. 6 for a consultation and then surgery after. His secretary said I'm triaged at a medium level which means surgery time in 2 to 6 weeks, likely before Christmas. Hubby, I and our baby would love to go to Hawaii for a vacation from Jan. 2-11. My concerns are that if I have the surgery in Dec., that will be too close to travel time. Also, if we ask to wait on the surgery to be able to travel, will I be put at the bottom of the surgery list? If we did book the trip and I have the surgery before we go, I'm afraid the surgery could show cancer If that were to happen I wouldn't want to travel, but no travel insurance company will give us trip cancellation coverage b/c this is considered a pre-existing condition. Sorry to ramble on, but would it be best to just deal with the medical stuff and forget about the vacation or say "to heck with it" and book the trip. We can't be flexible with our travel dates b/c it's for a friend's wedding.

Any advice???? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
    gnomey75
    (female)

gnomey75 HB User
    Re: Biopsy shows Follicular Lesion - Qs about surgery and travel

p.s. sorry I just don't know how serious all of this is and exactly what it is I am dealing with. Some days I'm really positive and think it's nothing and other times I'm scared to death.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Biopsy shows Follicular Lesion - Qs about surgery and travel

It's really not such a big deal surgery. I actually knew I had pappillary cancer, and planned mine for after vacation, about 5 weeks later, which is another option, because thyroid cancer, if you have it, is very slow growing, and nothing is going to "happen" to make you cancel.

Most people, especially young people, with a really great surgeon, do very well, I was at a party for my niece 2 days later for a little while, but I didn't drive for four days.

Early December won't be a big deal, I would probably want 2 weeks so I could feel real good on my vacation, and get the anesthesia out of my system.

Also, if it is cancer (which it might not be!), you will want to go on meds, and put off RAI treatment and start your prep after your vacation, so you'll feel good, and there's nothing wrong with delaying RAI until you can put it into your schedule---I know someone who put it off 6 months to the summer because it was a better time for her.

Closed Thread