It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH is 6.62

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
    sillyoldbear
    (female)

sillyoldbear HB User
    TSH is 6.62

My TSH level came back as 6.62
    I am not taking any thyroid medication.
    My doctor ordered more labwork.....something about a T3 and T4.
    Those should be back by my appointment next week.
    She also ordered an ultrasound but that had to be postponed for a few weeks because I had surgery recently (non thyroid related) and that needs two weeks to heal before I could tolerate an ultrasound in that area.

My question is....what does all this mean?

What if the new bloodwork comes back in the normal range? Will I still have to have the ultrasound?
    What if both the bloodwork and the ultrasound come back normal? Will that mean I don't have to do anything? ie - take medication

Thanks for any help, advice, kind words that you can offer.

Updated to add.....My level was 4.99 a few years ago but it was not followed up on.

Last edited by sillyoldbear; 10-16-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: TSH is 6.62

I'm not sure about the ultrasound, but I believe your MD has decided that your thyroid gland is larger than it should be, or she felt some lumpiness that isn't usual. (That should not frighten you; lumps - "nodules" - are common and most often not serious.)

Your TSH is high... meaning that you are hypothyroid. Glands enlarge when they work too hard at trying to provide enough T4 and T3 - the thyroid hormones - for your needs. Because every system in the body uses thyroid hormone to some degree, there are dozens of signs and symptoms associated with a shortage of hormone. Are you having symptoms? If so, then you need supplemental thyroid hormone from a pill. Even if you don't have symptoms now - which would be miraculous for someone with TSH like yours - you likely will in the future. Most thyroid glands that can't produce enough hormone will never recover the ability over time.

It isn't so bad taking thyroid medication once you find the right dose. This takes time, but once accomplished, you will feel as normal as you ever have.

Let us know what the rest of the tests show if you need help interpretating them. I recommend the book Thyroid for Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin to people who need the basic information about their condition. Most public libraries stock a copy or two, or it's easy to find in bookstores.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
    sillyoldbear
    (female)

sillyoldbear HB User
    Re: TSH is 6.62

Thank you for your reply.

The ultrasound is being ordered based on the TSH result. My doc hasn't felt my neck. My yearly physical is next week.

I will ask more questions of her at that appointment.

Closed Thread