It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Yikes.....Cholesterol up 68 points in 5 months.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User
    Yikes.....Cholesterol up 68 points in 5 months.

Oh no....I just got my bloodwork back from my GP and my Cholesterol is out of control!!

My total Cholesterol is 267. Back on May 9, 2007 my total cholesterol was 199. I was told at that time that it was borderline high and to watch my fat intake and exercise more.

Okay....I have been exercising less due to muscle weakness and being extrremely tired. (Hashi's). However, my eating hasn't changed any.

Here are my numbers:

Total Cholesterol = 267 (100-199)
    Triglycerides = 51 (0-149)
    HDL = 80 (40-59)
    LDL = 177 (0-99)

The nurse gave me a call and said that the doctor wanted to put me on Vytorin. I declined. I told her that I wanted to see if getting my thryoid condition under control and easing back into my workout routines will help lower it over the next 3 months. I'm already on Blood Pressure Meds and entering into my 5th week of Synthroid (go for bloodwork for the endo again next week)

I'm really concerned. I have no desire to take yet another medication that I'd have to take for a lifteime. I'm only 36 years old woman for goodness sakes. I currently weight 159lbs (16lbs gained in the past year). My body should not be fall apart like this. I'm not in terrible shape, but I admit I could exercise more and I do WHEN I have energy. I could certainly eat better. I rarely eat anything fried, but I do eat waaaay too many processed foods.

Does anyone know or have an idea as to why my cholesterol increased in such a short period of time? I'm out of ideas and growing increasingly frustrated with my health.

Thanks all

~Dee
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DX Hashimotos 08-16-07
    TSH 4.120 08-16-07
    TPO = 11790
    Synthroid 50 mcg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User
    Re: Yikes.....Cholesterol up 68 points in 5 months.

From the way you describe your diet and exercise, it's got to be from your Hashi's/hypO-t and lack of exercise lately.

Your TSH is still too high (as of August 16, 2007). If you really don't want to take on another pill, give your thyroid medication a chance to work.

EAT OATMEAL. Eat less cholesterol (eggs, dairy, beef). Read labels. See a nutritionist or naturopath for help naturally reducing cholesterol.

Sound like the biggest thing for you is going to be ROUTINE cardio exercise and getting that TSH under control. Don't let it continue this way for too long. Maybe you can take the medication on a temporary basis. Don't look at it as if it's going to be a lifetime requirement. You can make these changes. Tired or not, just get out for a little walk around the neighborhood or the mall.

My cholesterol was 178 when I was diagnosed Hashi's/hypo-T. Within 2 months of starting treatment it dropped to 170. Within 4 months of starting treatment it was down to 165. I haven't had it checked in the past 3 months.

Last edited by Clarissa234; 10-19-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User

I sure wouldn't go on cholesterol meds at this point. With your high HDL (your "good" cholesterol) your ratio figures out to be 3.34:1.

According to the American Heart Association the total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratio should be below 5:1 with the optimal amount being 3.5:1 (3.5 to 1).

I think you're fine, seriously. Your high HDL is protecting you. I'd do some reading on cholesterol, high HDL and ratios. I think it would really help settle your mind!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User

I'm definitely going to be talking with my Endo about my Cholesterol at my next appointment on Nov 1, 2007.

In the meantime I am watching what I eat. I have been having a love hate relationship with ice cream for the past couple of months and I'm sure that didn't help any.

I have also been working exercise back in. I considered my self an intermediate exerciser. So far I have managed to workout 6 days this month. While that doesn't sound like much I was only able to work out 3 days for the entire month of September because of fatigue. I hope and pray that when I go back to my Family Practioner for bloodwork in 3 months there will be some indication that my cholesterol is going down on it's own.

Thanks

~Dee

Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User

I'd try and drop as much sugar out of my diet as possible. My cholesterol plummeted when I went on a low carb diet and it's stayed there. I'm not saying go on a low carb diet, just watch the processed foods (white sugar, white flour, etc).

Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Hypothyroidism is likely the cause of your high cholesterol.
    Your Free T3 is likely too low (and may be even lower than when you started on the Synthroid).

Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Were you fasting for this test? What had you been eating the day before your test? I myself would not go on those meds to lower cholesterol....I would try diet and exercise first.........Eat cherrios, bran flakes and oatmeal.

Mine stays up due to my Insulin Resistance.........but the test can be very inaccurate if you did not fast or ate a bunch of sweets the day before.......

I love to hate Ice Cream too.........one a month only for this girl now.......

Oleander

Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
    JaneM
    (female)

JaneM HB User

I understand your frustration, but I want to encourage you to hang in there. I have been through what you describe, and believe it or not, you will be able to get yourself back on track.

Your HDL is great, as are your triglycerides! Most people would kill to have such a wonderfully high HDL!

LDL can be difficult to lower, but there are things you can do. Cut down on the processed foods and try get back to the fresh stuff. No trans fat, which is found in processed foods and many margarines. I use Smart Balance Light spread which is balanced for cholesterol. You can also try something like Benecol spread, which contains Plant Stanol Esters to lower cholesterol. Make sure you get enough fiber, especially the soluble kind (it reduces the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines) and is found in foods such as oatmeal, beans, nuts, fruits like oranges and apples.

You know you should be exercising, and that is hard when you don't feel as if you have the energy to do it. If your normal exercise isn't working for you, then maybe look for something new. I had to approach exercise differently from the way I used to do it. My body no longer wanted to do long, hard sessions, so I shortened and lightened them. It took me a long time to figure out that the thought of doing 45 minutes at a time was too tiring, so I found myself skipping exercise more often than not.

By good fortune, I discovered Leslie Sansone's walking tapes at the library. I picked up a couple of her one mile walks, which are about 18 minutes each including warmup and cooldown. They are easy on the body and actually energize me rather than deplete me. Every morning, I put on the coffee pot and pop in a one-mile walk while the coffee is brewing. My energy level goes way up, my metabolism gets a little kick-start, and the short walk is over when the coffee is ready. It is a wonderful way to start the day and a great way to get back to the exercise habit! After the walk, I don't want to wreck the benefits of my walk, so I naturally reach for a healthy breakfast. When I was losing weight, I would do a total of three quick miles over the day, usually when I needed an energy boost or if I got the urge to snack. I still do two or three miles a day, but now that they have increased my energy, I usually do longer sessions.

My cholesterol will shoot up high if even one of the following components is not right: 1) good eating habits, 2) exercise, 3) being at a normal weight, and 4) thyroid being in range. When my weight went up 15 pounds, my cholesterol went up about 70 points! Once I took off the weight with a strict diet and exercise, my cholesterol dropped to normal. Actually, it was better than normal because I kept up the good eating habits I had adopted and the daily exercise habit.

Again, I want to emphasize what an exceptional HDL you have! Many doctors are now seeing that as more important than the LDL, especially in women.

So don't give up! You are wise not to jump into cholesterol medications right away. You just need a little time for the thyroid med to work and to get your exercise and eating working for you.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

I do agree with Kharma. Your ratio is not horrible and you have GREAT HDL! Also before you ever were to start meds you would want to repeat the test in case the lab was wrong. My cholesterol jumped from 168 to 265 and I have just started on the Levothyroxine and Cytomel. My HDL is high too at 92. The Endo wants to wait out the cholesterol until we figure out the thyroid issue. Good luck. Hoppy

Closed Thread