It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ready to give up...Literally...Comments, suggestions, encouragment, anything needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Ready to give up...Literally...Comments, suggestions, encouragment, anything needed

Hey everyone!

Well for me this roller coaster is just too much latley and I can't handle another day of feeling the way I do. I can't handle the anxiety anymore, the pain thru out my body, the headaches, the panic, the racing thoughts, the joint pain, stomach pains, ringing in ears, neck pain, jaw pain, chest pain, ANY of it. I am ready to just give up. And half of what I deal with pain wise I am NOT even sure if it is thyroid related.

I don't see my endo again until the 12th of Nov and at this point don't even feel like calling his office. I am DONE with these dr's.

I just had MRI of abdomen as I still have allot of pain in stomach and on right side since they took gallbladder out almost a year ago. I also have what feels like a lump right below my rib cage on the right side as well. I have had EVERY test known to man kind done to me in the past year and a half and the ONLY thing that has ever come back wrong is my thyroid which I did the RAI for this last Feb. I have had CT scans with/wo dye, ultrasounds, endoscopes, MRI, x-rays, lab work, and they NEVER find anything else causing all these symptoms.

I am just about ready to try prozac that is how desperate I am. I don't know what else to do or where else to turn.

I've had to quit my job of 5 yrs, I have given up my life as it was, I don't drive on the freeways anymore (to weak), I don't go out anywehre besides store when I have to. My life is over it feels like.

I just did the MRI on Monday and just got the call this afternoon that all was clear with it. I mean YES it is a good thing that it doesn't show anything majorly wrong but I guess I just want some sort of answer at this point. Anything....

Can a thyroid REALLY cause all these horrid pains and symptoms??

Ugggg........... Just shoot me.................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Ready to give up...Literally...Comments, suggestions, encouragment, anything need

I'm so sorry you feel like this hon, but if your thyroid gets straightened out,you should get better. I know the RAI makes your levels crazy for awhile so it's probably that. Going from bad hyper to hypo. What are your levels? Are you very hypo? Do you still see the endo? Can you switch docs? I know being hypo can cause joint and muscle pain, and with RAI it's worse.I think if you can go on some anti-inflammatories you might be better, like Mobic (prescription) or even fish oil capsules a couple of times a day. A friend of mine is trying that Mona Vie I think it's called. It's some kind of antioxidant juice. and she says her knee pain is gone since she's been on it a month. Ask your doc. Sometimes people with Graves can have rhuematoid athritis too. Have you been tested for it? Ask about that too, they can tell from a blood test. I hope you get some answers soon, does anything help, heating pads,athritis rubs, I find icy hot is pretty good, also those hot patches that stick on. You can always try a good chiroprater who uses the ACTIVATOR method. (more gentle)

Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Ready to give up...Literally...Comments, suggestions, encouragment, anything need

Are you on thyroid meds?
    Maybe you are under-dosed.

I would call the endo office and request copies of all my lab reports (they have to give them to you if you ask).

Poorly treated hypo-thyroidism will make anxious and depressed (it did me for years).

See what your TSH is.
    Find out if they are testing your FREE T3 & FREE T4.

Optimal TSH is low, around 1.0

Optimal FREE T3 & FREE T4 is in the middle to upper part of the "normal range" NOT in the middle to lower part of the "nornal range".

Poorly treated hypo-thyroidism often leads to adrenal insufficiency & that will really make you feel like you are losing it too!

Please find out what your blood work shows. Good luck & hang in there!
    Best wishes sent your way!

Last edited by GCC; 10-20-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hello katkatdd ~ sorry you are suffering so.

Like GCC said undermedication for hypoT can leave you with symptoms but, on another note..........my hypoT med dosage was upped two months ago and I'm "now" experiencing the panic, extreme hair loss, aches & pains, pvcs etc. that I was experiencing "before" I was diagnosed and put of meds. I am beginning to think I'm over-medicated. I didn't think so at first but the longer I'm on this dosage the worse my symptoms are getting.

When I was first diagnosed and put on a low dosage I had all the symptoms I mentioned above and they all went away. We upped me 6 months later to 88mcgs and I was doing pretty decent. Now doc is tweaking my dosage and trying to get my tsh below 3.

Honestly, I felt better when it was out of range. I don't think this new dosage is working for me at all. I get lab work done again next week and will stay on it until then but that very day I'm dropping back to my 88mcgs that I still have until I see the results of my newer labs.

You could be under medicated but, you could also be over-medicated. Unfortunately, the symptoms for both are similar.

Good luck

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 10-20-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Have you been to a rheumatologist? Sounds a lot like fibromyalgia to me, which I have also. The symptoms overlap with thyroid issues, so my thyroid went unnoticed for a long time because I thought it was just the fibro. Maybe you should try looking into this avenue. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
    Chelle97
    (female)

Chelle97 HB User

Just a though - Have you had a colonoscopy? My sister has Crohn's Disease - and a CT Scan can not pick that up. She has little "bulges" in her colon - intense pain throughout her body but she also has severe constipation and diarrhea - and all of this can also cause a B-12 Deficiency which can in turn cause the same symptoms as a Thyroid Condition, and because they are both Auto-Immune related can run hand in hand. I am having a lot of the same problems too and am getting a CT Scan next week, and getting the colonoscopy in 3 weeks to rule out Crohn's, and they just tested to see about my B-12.

Hope you get the encouragement you need to hand in there. Losing your health makes you feel like you are losing everything - but keep in mind - You can get your health back! Pray that the doctors will get the direction they need to find the answers!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

HI all~

Well thank you to eveyone that left their suggestions and comments. I still feel really bad especially today...

I think the only test I haven't had done yet is a colonoscopy.... The last time my labs were done I was showing to what I thought was a little hyper. But my endo called me and said they were ok and to stay on the 112mcg of the levothyroxine. So I have stayed there since. I really like my dr I just know he is busy and I have to stay on top of things with him. I don't see him again until Nov but I think I am going to call tomorrow morning and ask for them to send me lab sheet for new bloodwork before then. Real dizzy, foggy headed today and having MAJOR hot flashes. (Although it is like 100 degrees here in So. Cali today). LOL...

I just want this all over with. Very frustrating. I feel worse than I did before I did the RAI treatment it seems.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sorry kat, but you're one of the reasons I wouldn't ever consider it, I've read too many of these stories, but like I said when they do it this way the thyroid slowly sputters out making your levels crazy I think for awhile. You might investigate the chrohn's or celiac disease, that's autoimmune, also you might have fibromialgia symptoms like someone said, but I think you're mostly being affected by your thyroid levels.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Yes I think you are right. It feels like I swing majorly from day to day even. And u know I really did look into it before hand. And I was very iffy (if that's a word?) lol.... I read allot of horror stories but then I have read some good ones. I was at my wits end and didn't know where to turn. Even while I was swallowing the pill I still had doubts. But I guess what is done is done now. Can't go back. When I did do the RAI I was feeling really bad still even after trying the meds. I was not all there mind wise and had no one to turn to for any concerns besides myself and my dr. And what I really liked about him at that time also is he was not pushing it on me. He sid it was totally my decision. So I dunno! I guess I just try to make it thru all of this.

But I do believe you are right about the swinging back n forth!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You'll get there eventually kat, it's probably hard to know what dose you need when you swing like that.I wish there was a magic formula for you in the meantime. I think you have to just try to treat the symptoms while you are waiting, maybe another doc can help with this other stuff. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Closed Thread