It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can you have hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User
    Can you have hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time?

So, I was diagnosed 2 1/2 weeks ago by GP as hypothyroid. My TSH was 147. He started me on 150 mcg of Levothyroxin.

My major syptoms of being hypo were dizziness and tingling in hands and feet. I was having pretty much every symptom you could think of, but those were my main complaints.

Anyway, I had an appt with an endo today and she thinks that I'm now hyper, based on my rapid heartrate and the fact that I was feeling hot and my hands were trembling.

I still have many symtoms of being hypo though, like dizziness. I was having severe dizziness today. I thought that maybe dizziness was a symptom of hyper too, but I don't see many places where that is a symptom.

Is it possible to have symptoms of both at the same time? I know I'm early on in treatment and my body is maybe just trying to adjust. Anyone have any input?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Can you have hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time?

You may have hyper symptoms due to that pretty high dose of levothyroxine - medication is usually started with a low dose (like 25 or 50micrograms) and then gradually raised over several weeks or months so that your body has time to adjust. Was your dose decreased and by how much?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

You were started on a high dose.

I think you need to have your ferritin level and B12 tested.
    The dizziness and tingling could be caused by these being too low (and they are both frequently low in hypothyroid patients).

Ferritin = iron stores and there is NO other iron test that is a substitute for having your ferritin level tested. Insist on them testing your ferritin level. Optimal ferritin is between 70 - 90 (though the lab report will say as low as 10 is "nornal", that is way too low). So you will need to get a copy of your lab reports to find out what your number is (never settle for being told your number is "normal" or "in range", find out what your number is. Low ferritin can cause fatugue, dizziness and shortness of breath , fast pulse, heart palpitations. You don't have to have any or all of these symptoms to have low ferritin. Also, you can easily have low ferritin even when other test (like hemeglobin) is normal.

B12 - can cause the tingling feeling too & many serious and even permanent damage if it is too low for too long. Low B12 is also more commom for hypo-thyroid patients too. So get yours tested.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I just answered your other post about being dizzy. Wow - your doc started you out WAY too high. I was diagnosed hypo but also had some hyper symptoms. My doc wanted to start me out on 50 mcgs Synthroid (my TSH was 7.1) but I felt sooo awful I begged to start on 75 mcgs and they obliged and that is the dose I have been on ever since. I think your body has been without thyroid hormone for awhile and to give you such a high dose is going to make your body go bonkers for a bit.

I would also urge you to get your B12 tested or start taking supplements immediately. (your body passes any excess B12 so there is no worry about getting too much) I too experienced the tingling and my doc tested my B12, it came back as 536 with the range being 200-1100, so my GP said my level was fine. I later saw a homeopathic doc that said they recommend supplements for anything under 800. I began taking a sublingual megadose which eventually helped the tingling and immediately helped issues with my eyesight (that i did not know was related to B12 - i just could not focus.)

Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

Thanks,

I will definitely get my B12 tested. My endo has it ordered to be tested along with my TSH, FT4, FT3, etc. in four weeks so see where I am at (the endo cut back the super high dose of Levothyroxine that GP prescribed), but I think that I will see if I can get that done sooner.

I've seen B12 deficiencies often linked with anemia. Does one have to be anemic to have a deficiency? I don't believe any of my tests came back showing anemia.

Do the sublinqual megadoses of Vit. B12 have to be dispensed by prescription?

Thanks

Last edited by talbet0729; 10-20-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: forgot important info

Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I think major B12 deficiencies are a sign of pernicious anemia, and if someone has this they would most likely be getting the injections, not just taking supplements. I dont know alot about anemia, but isn't there a correlation there with too little iron? I for one have a single hemochromastosis gene so I tend to have plenty of iron and have not had experience with anemia.

B12 supplements can be found in any drugstore in varying strengths. I'm glad your endo eased up your dose. We all want to feel better immediately but its best to give your body time to get used to the meds and ease up to your optimal dose.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
    louie112
    (female)

louie112 HB User

my endo told me that when my thyroid realized it was not working well it produced way too much hormone and in essence made me hyper for about 5 years. No one seemed to listen to me and thought I was just having hot flashes. Now I am hypo because my thyroid worked so hard. he upped my dose of synthroid and the first week i felt hyper again without the heart palpitations. he said that since i didi not have the palpations i was just getting used to the new levels. anyone else experience this?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

Well, just got some test results back and my B-12 was fine. 876. I am a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be low and that would be the cause of my neurological symptoms like dizziness, tingling, etc. Lately have also developed a twitching eye. I guess if some of the neurological symptoms don't clear up soon I will have to go for a neurological evaluation. I also have a small area on my stomach that has abnormal sensations when touched. It started out during the last months of my pregnancy, so I thought that was just normal due to the skin stretching, but I'm almost 6 months postpartum and it is still there. Not as bad as it was, but still there. I don't think that could be from being Hypo. I'm especially nervous about the neurological symptoms because I have a brother and a cousin that both suffer from MS. I don't suppose anyone has experienced anything of that sort?
    I doubt it.

Last edited by talbet0729; 10-24-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Have you been tested for Hashimoto's? I swing hypo hyper all the time.. no medication as of yet.. but my symptoms are nothing to laugh at.. they can be debilitating. My Endo blames it on my Hashimoto's. I swing hyper when my Antibodies go into attack mode and spur my thyroid to dump thyroid hormone in response to portions of the thyroid being killed by antibody assault. If you have not been tested for Hashi's : TPOAb and TGAb. It might be worth it. But I concur the 150 was a bit high as an initial jump into the medication regime.. given the 147 TSH a starting dose of 75 mcg with eval in 4-6 weeks and 25 mcg increases to optimal every 4-6 weeks is what the pharmaceutical companies recommend in their databases. Average complete function replacement dose is between 100-150 mcg of T4 supplement.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

Yeah, I just got the results back from the antibodies test yesterday. The ones for Hashimoto's were off the charts. I never knew thyroid problems could be so debilitating.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Well I am glad you now know you are Hashimoto's and can thus look at your symptoms and body's war with itself objectively. It sucks.. but now you know. That does provide some comfort.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=534786[/url]

Check this post out.. it was what I got out of my first appointment. I have recently decided to bunt this MD.. because she doesn't medicate symptoms.. but I will not burn the bridge yet.. she explained things well, but annoyed me with her conservative approach. I am looking into some others now. But first i am going to gather my information so i can say All these symptoms are not allergies, sinuses, contact dermatitis, cardiological, eurological migraines.. etc.. instead it is my thyroid giving these systems in my body heck!

Hope this helps.. research, gather, be armed with the facts and demand treatment.. bring a well educated buddy with you that has seen you at your worst. Ganging up some times helps.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

Thanks ********,

Looks like you have had quite the journey with your thyroid issues. I'm sure that it has been very frustrating. Thank you for sharing your experiences here so that we can all learn more about our thyroid issues. This board has been so helpful to me in knowing what questions to ask the endo and knowing what tests to have run, etc.

Hopefully with this board and the help of my brother who had Hashimoto's and a TT due to thyroid cancer (hopefully I won't be going down that road as well), I will get all of this straightened out.

As you well know, it is just hard to wait until things get better. I broke down in tears on the phone with the nurse at the endo's office yesterday because I am feeling so yucky it seems like it is getting worse. She assured me that things will get better and to just give it some more time. After all, I have only been on the meds for 3 weeks and I know that there will be a long period of adjustment ahead. I just hate waiting!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If the meds get too rough on you hyper wise.. you can cut your self back to 75 mcg for 2 weeks.. then boost it to 100 for 2 weeks and 125 for 2 weeks.. I would hold here for at least 4 weeks.. then if you are still showing hypo signs move up to 150 mcg. Having the heart palps, shakes, jitters, shortness of breathe and all those hyper signs is very scary. Many here under stand.

The one thing good to know is that medication takes 2 weeks to reach blood equilibrium.. then depending on your body chemistry you will need another 2 weeks-4 weeks for your body chemistry to adjust and settle at the level. After your body has done this you can then determine whether you are still hypo or actually hyper.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread