It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Dizziness...Please reassure me.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User
    Dizziness...Please reassure me.

I'm just looking for some reassurance about the dizziness I've been having. That was my main reason for seeing my doctor for some blood tests a couple of weeks ago. I read in many places that dizziness is a symptom of being hypo. Anyway, blood tests came back indicating hypo with a TSH of 147.

I had an appointment with my endo today and she seemed quite concerned about the dizziness as if it was not a common symptom of being hypo. She sent me home with a glucometer and a blood pressure cuff to use when I feel dizzy to see what might be causing it. Then she said I may need to have a neuroligical consult if we can't find out why it is happening.

I was just hoping that someone could give me some reassurance about the dizziness. I usually feel it only when I'm up and walking around. Kind of like I'm walking on a floating dock. I don't always have it either. It comes and goes from time to time.

I've been on 150 mcg of Levothyroxine for about 18 days now. Endo thinks based on symptoms that I may be going hyper now. Today I was having major dizziness symptoms.

I would love any input on peoples experiences with dizziness. How long does it take for that symptom to go away? (I know everybody is different and it varies based on many different things...I was just wondering what others experiences were with this.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Dizziness...Please reassure me.

Dizziness is quite a common symptom. If you read here as long as I've been, you will see just how common. Pardon me for saying so, but even the best thyroid doctors often don't completely know what we go through, unless they or someone close to them has experienced it firsthand.

I periodically had that "floating dock" [great description!] feeling for years before my diagnosis. I would sometimes be lightheaded from the moment I awoke, feeling the need to touch walls and furniture for steadiness. I remember frequently telling my husband that I was having one of my "dizzy days". It would happen for a day or two at a time, then disappear for weeks or months before happening again. Understand that severity of particular symptoms is an individual thing; you may have it more frequently or to a worse degree than I did.
    I've checked myself during 'dizzy days' with a BP monitor; the pressure would be completely normal, even though I expected it to be low, it wasn't.

My dose has been long-optimized, and I haven't had a dizzy day in at least two years. Honestly can't remember the last one, but I'm sure it was during the dose adjustment period. That's the thing about symptom relief following treatment... They disappear so gradually and unnoticably, you start having frequent lightbulb moments ... "hmmmm... well THAT hasn't happened in a while, now that I think about it!"

Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

Thanks midwest1. You have been so great and such a help with all of my questions.

This board has been so great. I don't know what I would have done without out it!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I have ot say dizziness was also one of my major hypo symptoms. I have had small bouts of Vertigo over the years, but last year when I was diagnosed hypo I was very dizzy. Mine lasted for a few weeks, with some days being better than others (I felt bad enough not to drive for at least 12 days). Then a couple months later had a bit of a hypo relapse and was dizzy again (along with my other hypo symptoms). I've not had any issues the last 8 months but flew to Florida last week and now I have the Vertigo again. (I'm pretty sure this case is due to the flying though, not the thyroid.) It is an annoying symptom, but it will go away.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Oh yes this is a symptom for me also. It was really bad for awhile and then it kind of eased up and now within the last week I feel it coming back again. And with everything else that is going on with me I think my labs are off... But yes dizziness for me was also real bad for awhile.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

i agree with everyone that dizziness is definitely a symptom. before i found out that i had hashi's...MAN...........i was dizzy all the time. i'd feel like i'd pass out right when i'm doing dishes, or carrying laundry downstairs...or caring for my 1 year old. it was just crazy. how could ur doctor rule out dizziness as a symptom? you do have to get that tsh controlled tho. that's a really high tsh. goodluck.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
    lmbruns
    (female)

lmbruns HB User

Oh my gosh, dizziness is my worst symptom right now. Unfortunately, I'm supposed to have "subclinical hyperthyroidism". The endo told me last week that my levels aren't indicative of symptoms, so it must be something else. I'm going back to my internist on Friday. I have bad "dizzy" days and not-so-bad "dizzy" days. Today is bad.

This is my worst complaint...it's frustrating, debilitating, and downright scary at times.

I feel for you!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dizziness is amplifying with me.. I am early Hashi's and these last few weeks my nausea and dizziness have amped up considerably. (Not pregnant just finished the dreaded flows) I am curious to see how high my TSH is now. October 31 is supposed to be my sweet date for new thyroid tests.. but I may get some run early. My symptoms are really beginning to suck.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread