It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hurthle Cell Prolifieration

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
    ryansmom35
    (female)

ryansmom35 HB User
    Hurthle Cell Prolifieration

Hello Everyone,

My name is Shannon and I live in Minnesota. I had my first FNA in 2000 and I just had a second a week ago. I got the results on Thursday and my endocrinologist said that my right thyroid nodule has doubled in size since 2000. At that time the FNA showed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. This time around the diagnosis is Hurthle cell proliferation - sample shows abundant colloid with numerous clusters of mostly onocytic epithelial cells. I was told that hurthle cell neoplasm was less likely but cannot be ruled out.

My endocrinologist sent my results down to the Mayo Clinic on Friday for a

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
    Re: Hurthle Cell Prolifieration

Ryansmom....................did you know that we didn't get you complete post?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
    ryansmom35
    (female)

ryansmom35 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryansmom35 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Shannon and I live in Minnesota. I had my first FNA in 2000 and I just had a second a week ago. I got the results on Thursday and my endocrinologist said that my right thyroid nodule has doubled in size since 2000. At that time the FNA showed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. This time around the diagnosis is Hurthle cell proliferation - sample shows abundant colloid with numerous clusters of mostly onocytic epithelial cells. I was told that hurthle cell neoplasm was less likely but cannot be ruled out.

My endocrinologist sent my results down to the Mayo Clinic on Friday for a

Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
    ryansmom35
    (female)

ryansmom35 HB User

I didn't realize my entire post didn't show up - thank you! long story short my biopsy has been sent to the mayo clinic for a 2nd opinion. I am petrified. If anyone has any advice or insight please reply.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You need to take this slow, one step at a time, and that's the only way to do it.

Hurthle cells in an FNA may or not be cancerous, but often mean you may need to remove the side of the thyroid to make sure it's not.

I have known people to come on this board with an FNA with hurthle cells who did not have cancer, or some who had pappillary when they thought it was hurthle cell from the fna. Either way, it is all treatable and curable, and it's good that your doc has sent it for another opinion from a great quality place like Mayo.

Wishing you b9 results!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
    ryansmom35
    (female)

ryansmom35 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    You need to take this slow, one step at a time, and that's the only way to do it.

Hurthle cells in an FNA may or not be cancerous, but often mean you may need to remove the side of the thyroid to make sure it's not.

I have known people to come on this board with an FNA with hurthle cells who did not have cancer, or some who had pappillary when they thought it was hurthle cell from the fna. Either way, it is all treatable and curable, and it's good that your doc has sent it for another opinion from a great quality place like Mayo.

Wishing you b9 results!
    Thank you so much for your reply and encouraging words. I lost my mom to cancer and so I think I am even more nervous due to that. Although, it wasn't thyroid.

Thank you again!
    Shannon

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

My FNA showed hurthle cells and at the same time said "no Cancer". My doctor who is supposed to be a top thyroid doctor didn't even mention it to me. When I got my copy of the report I read it and it scared me. I asked my doctor and he explained that my report was very good because I had abundant colloidal cells. I don't understand this and I am not comfortable knowing that I have these hurthle cells.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
    louie112
    (female)

louie112 HB User

What i do not get is if Hurtle cells will eventually become cancerous, how come they do not just take them out. My endo told me my hoarsness had nothing to do with my thyroid. I dont know how he knew that because he just felt my neck. i am seeking a second opinion tomorrow. personally since I already have to take synthroid I would just feel better if the damn thing were removed.Does anyone else feel this way?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
    louie112
    (female)

louie112 HB User

During my second opinion with and endo dr. She stataed to me that while my Hurtle cells are not yet cancerous, the likely hood that they would become cancer was high. she also said the likelyhood that they would break off and go to another part of the body was very high. She said there was no way to be sure they were not cancer now unless the y took the thyroid out. i explained that it really bothers me to have them there wiith a past family history of thyroid problems. She said the decision is not just the drs to remove the thyroid. I said i would like it removed as I am already taking the synthroid anyway. She said that is the right decision, so that is what I am going to do. Just a different perspective on the whole situation.

Closed Thread