It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• hypothroidism need some help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
    Lisag62
    (female)

Lisag62 HB User
    hypothroidism need some help

I am new to this site have been reading your stories I can't believe what you all have had to go thru, it is terrible. I am at the end of my rope and was relieved to know I may not be losing my mind after all. My family and friends think I am having a nervous breakdown and have gone crazy. They are tired of listening to me and I am tired of feeling this way.

I am 44 years old, I have been treated for anaxity and panic attacks for 6 years with Zoloft and Xanax. In October 06 I became so tired, cold and fatigued I was lucky to make it to work and bed. Kept trying to tell Dr. something was wrong with me.

Jan 07 Dr. tested my thyroid TSH was 86.05

Feb. started on .50 mcg Synthroid.

March TSH 40.80 FreeT4 0.5 (Stopped taking Zoloft and Xanax)

April TSH 20.02 .75 mcg Synthroid

May .100 mcg Synthroid

June TSH 5.32 .125 mcg Synthroid (Started to feel nervous, on edge)

July TSH 3.14 .125 mcg Synthroid (Started to have trouble sleeping, nervous, DR said numbers were normal see you in Dec.)

Aug .125 mcg Synthroid (still feeling nervous, stomach pains, trouble sleeping)

Sept. .125 mcg Synthroid (symptoms worse anxiety, headaches, hot, shakes, emotional, not sleeping, panic attacks, arms,lips, neck going nump, racing heart, burping, gas, fatigue, afraid to be alone but agitated if with someone. I feel like I am going crazy. Dr. put me back on Zoloft 100mg. Two weeks later back to DR. EKG told it was anxiety increased Zoloft to 200 mg. Asked DR. if it could be my Synthroid or my TSH levels said he didn't think so.

Oct. .125 mcg Synthroid (symptoms as above but now dry mouth, and sweating out of control, back to DR. given Trazodone 150 mg. Did not seem to help. Went back to Dr. given sleeping pills. Demanded a thyroid test. Levels came back up 7.71 increased Synthroid to .137 mcg.
    Things just seem to be getting worse. I have read a few articles on the net and I seem to have most of the symptoms of hyperthroidism. Dr. says he has never seen someone with elevated TSH levels be overstimulated. Thinks it is anxiety.

Thanks so much for listening any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User
    Re: hypothroidism need some help

I'm still fairly new to this board as well, and don't really know a whole lot about hyper as I am hypo, but I would say that with the amount that your TSH has dropped in such a short amount of time, it is very possible for you to feel hyper. I've been on levothyroxine for close to 4 months, and I've only dropped about 2 points. Granted, I wasn't as high as you were by any means, but that much of a change in a vital hormone can really mess with just about everything in your body.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Have you had your TPO and Tg antibodies run? If not then demand it. Also, talk to your dr about testing your FreeT3 and FreeT4. Actually, demand those too.

The FreeTs are the unbound and available thyroid hormones for your body to use. Its really important to see just exactly what your thyroid and the meds are doing. The FreeT3 is especially important to see how your body is converting the meds. If your doc won't do these tests, then find another doc. This one sounds like a TSH worshiper anyway. Did you know that TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone? It can also be affected by illness, medications, time of day the test was done, as well as where you are in your menstrual cycle.

I'd also suggest checking out your ferritin, vit D, and vit B levels. A lot of thyroid folks are deficient in these and most docs don't think of testing them until told to do so. The ferritin and vit B levels can affect how our bodies utilize thyroid horomones, so this is pretty important to check out. Deficiencies in these can mimic symptoms of other disorders, including thyroid.

One other thing to think about - adrenal fatigue. Many folks with untreated or undertreated chronic health issues can develop this and it also can cause a great many symptoms. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a 24-hour cortisol saliva test done. If your doc won't do that, then ask for an adrenal panel, including ACTH, serum cortisol, ACTH stim test, aldosterone, sodium, potassium, and renin. DHEA would be a good idea too. Make sure to get these tests done early in the morning (before 10am). Its best to do a 24-hour salt fast before getting your aldosterone tested. Also make sure to do this test during the first 5 days of your period (if you're still having it).

You're not alone in all this. Most of us have had antidepressants or antianxiety drugs thrown at us when doctors either didn't want to bother finding out what was really wrong or didn't take us seriously. Gather what energy you still have and start fighting for proper health care. You are your own best health care advocate!

Please keep us posted.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Is he only treating the TSH?

You need to have your FT4 and Ft3 tested and treated. You may be Hyper due to your T4 levels being too high.. but underconverting T4 to T3 and thus hypo as a result of insufficient T3 in the blood.

You need to have your FT3 and FT4 tested immediately and see what they can tell you.

Also check your T3 upatake and RT3 just incase you natural convert into the inactive T3 form from T4.

TSH alone is insufficient to determine when you are optimal. You sound hyper and should fight for more adequete analysis of the situation.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
    Lisag62
    (female)

Lisag62 HB User

Thank you so much for all the info, I feel like I should be paying you the $125.00 an hour, you have given me alot more info. then the 2 doctors I have been to. I have written down all the test you talked about and I will DEMAND to have them done. I have only had 1 Free t4 test and several TSH test. There has never been any metion of the tests you talked about. Before looking at this site and others on the net I had never even heard of these tests nor did I know anything about the thryoid. You go to the Dr. looking for help you would think they would know what tests to run and what to look for. I guess you are right YOU are your own best health care advocate. And thank GOD for people like you who have the knowledge and share it with others.
    Thanks so much
    Lisa
    I chose the quick reply I hope that was right didn't know which one to use for sure.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

If you're thinking of changing drs, look for an Osteopath in your area. They'll have the initials DO after their names. These kind of docs tend to be a little more on the ball when it comes to testing for and treating thyroid, adrenal, and nutritional deficiency conditions. While there are exceptions to this (like my current and soon-to-be exGP), overall they're a great group of docs.

You might also consider putting together a list of questions to ask the receptionist when calling for an appt. Does the doc go by test results alone or treat by a combination of test results and symptoms? Do they test the FreeT's? Do they test for and treat adrenal fatigue? Add as many as you can think of, based on your experience with the other docs and what you're learning on your own. This'll help weed out those docs who'll just be a repeat of what you've already been through.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User

I won't go into all the drugs that you took while stopping Zoloft, because what they don't tell you is that ALL SSRI's and especially Paxil, Effexor and Zoloft have HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE WITHDRAWAL.

They are very dangerous and way-overused medications, and one must taper off them very slowly. So, my point is, your symptoms have nothing to do with all those other drugs. You first must taper, taper, taper off the Zoloft to see what you are like without it, and then try non-SSRI meds to correct the problem. I speak firsthand, believe me. I took Paxil, and when I cold-turkeyed, it was the worst nightmare of my life.

I had to go back on, and I tapered by getting a pill slicer. I was on 10 mgs. Went to 7.5 for two weeks; the first three days are H, and it gets better; then to 5 for two weeks, then to 2.5 for another two weeks. And that was kind of quick. It was always the hardest the first three days of the taper, but I felt so, so, so much healthier and more clear in my thinking, when I got totally off that crazy medication. You may need other meds. I like my thyroid meds, but do know that you just can't substitute without first TAPERING OFF THE ZOLOFT, or, at least WHILE withdrawing slowly.

Hope this helps, and lots of good luck!

Closed Thread