It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone w/Hashi's ever.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User
    Anyone w/Hashi's ever.....

Hi everyone, went to my doctor's appointment on October 10 and my results weren't completed so I have to wait til my doctor comes back from vacation, he'll be back around november. but asides from that, I was wondering...has anyone with hashimoto's ever had their thyroid removed? cuz my doctor said it's something for me to think about...like in the back of my head. is that the cure for hashi's? to have the thyroid removed? all my levels are "within normal range" and i do have hypo symptoms here and there but the synthroid has helped me alot of the symptoms. and i see a new doctor and he's suggesting a removal? i'm a bit dumbfounded. he seems like a very smart doctor, so i wanted to get any advice i can. he said that i may be able to handle the problems now that i'm in my 30s, but he said "how about ten years down the road? how would my body be able to react to the hormones then?" any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Anyone w/Hashi's ever.....

What an "odd" statement for a doctor to make.

I can't think of any reason your body wouldn't be able to respond well decades from now on the hormones but, can think of a multitude of reasons why it should respond well.

My mother is 84 and has been on thyroid hormones for probably over 35 years or more and doing well. She doesn't have hashi's but is hypoT. A hormone is a hormone is a hormone.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm sure many people with Hashi's have had their glands removed, but primarily due to uncomfortably large goiter or large and/or cancerous nodules... when there wasn't enough room inside the neck for the gland to fit without problems. I can't think of any other earthly excuse to remove it. You're going to have to take thyroid hormone for the rest of your life either way; it isn't as if when the gland is gone you won't. Your doctor's reasoning escapes me.

Is this doctor the one who would profit from doing the surgery? If so, question the ethics of this "very smart" doctor.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks barbara and midwest...it puzzles me too. as for him profiting for doing the surgery...no he doesn't take any part in the surgery. because he's a military doctor and if i were to have it removed, he would refer me to an endo to take remove it. but i was thinking the same thing. why would i remove my thyroid when i don't have large goiters or cancerous nodules to that fact? he seems like a very smart doctor. but i don't know why he already opted that for me. so strange. ok this makes me feel better because i don't see any reason to remove it.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My mother had a partial thyroidectomy.. she has Graves and Hashi's.. the lobe removal was done, because of the dead node having questionable growth. She did not have a complete removal because it was Hashi's alone.

I would love for that suggestion to be offered to me today. How about we cut out your thyroid and put you on thyroid meds for the rest of your life. I would jump on it after the latest Hashi's trial of this weekend. But ::sigh:: I know that isn't an option. I am looking into testing the intensity of my iodine allergy. I would really like a thyroid uptake scan.. but with my current iodine allergy my Endo will not risk it. If I have a low iodine allergic reaction.. maybe she will. My mom survived with her iodine allergy. Only took two epi rounds and a good shock session. I can not be much worse.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

********: u aren't on any thyroid meds? only iodine? i was on iodine the first time i was diagnosed with hashi's. used it for 6 weeks and no change in my tsh or nothing. went for a second opinion to the endo and he prescribed me synthroid and my symptoms all disappeared and i'm back to (close to) "normal". i don't know ur history, but with what ur reading, doesn't seem like ur on any meds. but of course i usually speed through these posts and probably not listening correctly. sorry if i missed the point.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

No meds.. and I am allergic to iodine, cobalt and nickle.. so i am naturally low on B12 which has Co in it.. and naturally deficient in iodine.. my Endo refuses to treat the symptoms and is waiting until my TSH hits the magic number. I am not sitting still and will get treatment.. if I have to knock on every door in Chattanooga and beg. You think that one MD out there would be willing to do an experiment and toss a small dose of 25-50 mcg my way to see if there is an improvement.. is so.. Whee! If not.. we can look toward another culprit. Some MDs seem top lack common sense, no?

Thanks for the ideas and concern.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread