It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• asking for a friend, bad headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    asking for a friend, bad headaches

hey everyone!
    Told my friend I'd investigate this for her. I think it might be thyroid related, she thinks it might be her pcos. Everyday around 3 in the afternoon, she gets a bad headache, they get worse as the afternoon goes on. She is very over weight, she's 43 with 2 adult children. Her Mom has hypo thyroid, sometimes my friend feels hot, then cold. She appears hyper to me sometimes, sometimes very tired, so I think it's her thyroid. She has no medical right now so she hasn't had a blood test yet. I just wonder if any of you had headaches with hypo, or does it have to do with insulin resistance? Bad cluster like headaches. Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: asking for a friend, bad headaches

I have horrible headaches and swing hyper/hypo sometimes on a daily basis. I am in the preliminary stages of Hashimoto's disease.

A brief history of things that went wrong before I thought thyroid: Got pregnant with child one.. horrible pregnancy.. kicked my bottom horribly... Was in the hospital with post pregnancy complications for a month. Started having visual migraines, skin issues, mysterious allergic responses, cold all the time, headaches, migraines, Gained eighty pounds! I was doing everything I could even exercising I had to restrict myself to a 1000 calories a day and put in initially 3 mi of cardio (walking) and weight training daily.. I continued to build until I was doing 7 mi + cardio (inclione running) a day and weight training plus my martial arts. This allowed me to lose 45 pounds in conjunction with weight watchers.. but I could not eat the activity points I burned. But now I am stuck! Can not lose anymore... but as long as I stretch myself to the limit physically every day. I do not gain anymore.. just hang out at 158 lbs. If i exceed my 1000 cals.. balloon city I ate 1300 cals one day and gained 4 pounds.. it was impressive.

So.. yes the headache could be hypothyroid and I would seriously consider the AI, Hashimoto's disease. Why? In early stages of Hashi's as antibodies attack the thyroid.. the thyroid volleys back with an over prodection of T4 production. This will dwindle and the patient goes hypothyroid until the pituitary says hey.. we need more Thyroid goes active to meet the demand and the thyroid is attacked again.. and again. I was on 7-10 hypo hyper cycles.. but this weekend I had severe hypo in the morning and ended the day hyper. I can tell by my symptom shifts and most importantly my change in body temperature and pressure on a daily basis.

Early stage Hashi's you often have to wait out until your thyroid has died enough and it can be a horror trip..especially if you have a lot of symptoms. I wish you and your friend the best and hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I get terrible migraines, they aren't thyroid related, they are female hormone related, plus there are certain triggers in my diet as well.

If hers are debilitating, there are a lot of great meds out there, she should see a neurologist, or if she doesn't have coverage, try a headache center or clinic where they do trials, hopefully cheap.

The key is to prevent it before it comes on strong, take let's say advil, just as she feels it even starting to form.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
    Dee2000
    (female)

Dee2000 HB User

Graves,

Does your friend take anything for her headaches. Some people take drugs like OTC Exedrin Migraine constantly, and this actually can cause what's called rebound headaches! Meaning as soon as the drug calms the vessels and the headache clears, the pain comes again, usually around the same time.

Hopefully, she has a much better pain control agent.

Usually thyroid problems are related to mild weight fluctuations 10-20 lbs...not obesity. I have no thyroid but do fluctuate wierd around 10 lbs my whole life. The reason: the thyroid gland works on our metabolism, which if low, we would have no desire to exercise which then leads to the sedentary lifestyle. But the actual weight is usually only the 10-20 lbs.

Her other symptoms: the extreme temps etc could be related to hypo, especially if her mother has been diagnosed b/c it is hereditary. She should have her thyroid levels checked and definitely investigate what she takes for the headaches.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Thanks everyone, I figure it's Hashi's too MG. She has a lot of symptoms, and she's too young for menopause. I don't think she takes anything but something called fuerinol, I think she said, and it doesn't touch it, she says. If she gets coverage she's having blood tests done and seeing a doc, she really suffers a lot and keeps on smiling. I don't know how she does it! Thanks again!

Closed Thread