It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• confused about Thyroid scan results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    confused about Thyroid scan results

Hello,
    I posted here a couple times in the past few weeks.
    A quick summary- at my annual gyno exam, my doctor said my Thyroid felt a little bit enlarged. I had blood tests that came out "normal" (thought I didn't see the actual numbers myself). So I went to my physician, and he seemed to think it looked enlarged, and felt enlarged, so he scheduled me for a Thyroid Uptake and Scan.
    Well, I had that done this past Friday, and I just got the results and they're "normal". I was told the Uptake test was normal, and the scan showed that my thyroid was a normal size. But this still confuses me because two doctors thought it was enlarged, and I can even feel it myself- one side feels larger than the other. But the tests came out "normal"??
    What should I do from here? I'm not really having any symptoms. The only symptoms I have are being tired all the time (but I do have Epstein Barr, so it could just be that), and being cold all the time (but I've always felt cold when other people don't for my whole life). And I have gained about 15 lbs in the past 6 years, but that's nothing significant like the normal weight gain from Thyroid problems, I think. Plus, I think it's related to the anti-seizure med I take anyway.
    But still, if my thyroid still feels swollen, and two doctors thought so, too, should I trust the tests, or get a second opinion?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
    fadeaway872
    (female)

fadeaway872 HB User
    Re: confused about Thyroid scan results

Well my blood tests are "normal" when I still have hypothyroid symptoms. If your are not having symptoms. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Than again I heard that you can still be hypothyroid without any symptoms. I also know hastimoto's (antibodies attacking ur thyroid) causes the thyroid to swell. Maybe have the doctor check your thyroid antibodies?? Just a guess...

Old 10-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks,
    But the thing I'm confused about is why the scan would show that my thyroid is of normal size and shape, but two different doctors, plus me, can feel that it's enlarged?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
    fadeaway872
    (female)

fadeaway872 HB User

That is extremely weird. I am no expert and rather new at this myself but I would go back to a doctor and ask what's up? My thyroid feels huge but yet the scan shows its a normal size. Obviously it isn't normal since you and two other docs can feel its big. If you already did that I would go to another doctor until you get some answers. Thats what I would do if it were me anyways. Sorry your having so much trouble. Maybe someone else can give you anymore advice?

Last edited by fadeaway872; 10-24-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Closed Thread