It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 150mg thyroxine daily-levels good, but still - daily episodes where body shuts down ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
    peggatypawz
    (female)

peggatypawz HB User
    150mg thyroxine daily-levels good, but still - daily episodes where body shuts down ?

Can anyone PLEASE shed some light - I have been on 150MG of levothyrozine a day for months now, and have always had daily / weekly ' episodes' where have stuttered, and have immense pressure at the very back of my head, but as of a week ago these symptoms have got progresivally worse, it goes in peaks, unable to find words, HUGE pressure at back of head, HAVING to shut eyes, and bend head down - have to hold head to stop it from bursting - bloating of face / arms / legs - to name a few - these symptoms could last 10 / 30 mins then fade , but will be left with stutter and poor concentration, bloating for upto a good few hours - today, I have had a bad day as a whole, but now feel great ! - can concentrate perfectly, speak fine - My dr sent me for mri scans a year ago, which came up with nothing, I went back to our a&e dept yesterday after a particular bad attack and was told it was not a life thretening illness and await my consultant appt in a few weeks - with a general consultant, not one who is 'in the know' about thyroids ! could ANYONE please try to shed some light ???? hope this all makes scence !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: 150mg thyroxine daily-levels good, but still - daily episodes where body shuts do

What are your recent FT3 and FT4 results?
    Have they tested your conversion of T4 to T3?
    Whether you are converting T4 to T3 or to RT3?
    Have you had an antibody test run?
    What is/was your TSH last time?

With out the answers to these questions I really can not give sound advice on symptoms alone. I wish I had more of an answer for you.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
    peggatypawz
    (female)

peggatypawz HB User
    Re: 150mg thyroxine daily-levels good, but still - daily episodes where body shuts do

I have only been told that all my levels are what they should be ....... (!) my dr said that she would not put up my thyroid tabs again - as all was as it should be - she wanted me to have another mri scan to check for tumours, but the hospital dr said anything would have shown up in the mri i had last year ? - useless nhs system here i suppose, I have also been put on an antidepressant - ciplilex - which did help with sysmptoms for a little while, but i suppose i just got used to it ? -
    Im sorry i cant give you any more info ... do you have any suggestions, with the little info that i can give ?
    THANKS so much tho for your quick response.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Get a fax of your last lab results. Post the results here. If they haven't tested you for Graves or Hashimoto's you may be having a thyroid storm.. but those normally last for a while and take steriods, antihistamines and more to fix.

I really wonder what your FT4 and FT3 levels are if one is low and the other high then you can have similar issues. You need a copy of your lab work.. "Normal" is not necessarily optimal for you. But 150 mcgs is a top end dose.. so you do not have a lot of wiggle room.

Call and get your results.

Sincerely.
    MG

Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
    peggatypawz
    (female)

peggatypawz HB User

am seeing dr next mon, so shall take a copy of this with me, and get my results to post to you. MANY MANY THANKS !!!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will look into this more.. but the quick duration of the inflamation and such seems off. If it was a medication reaction once initiated it would last until medication was discontinued.. the facial swelling and body bloating are symptoms of hypothyroid and hashi's.. But Hashi's can be controlled by medication when you get to that stage.

Have they tested your Vit D and B12 concentrations? Carnitine? Ferritin? These can cause issues as well. Unfortunately there are so many things going on.. but these flash symptoms occurances are fishy... I am not an MD, but I will see what I can dig up.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
    peggatypawz
    (female)

peggatypawz HB User

many thanks again - went to dr, as had ANOTHER attack - and after much debate got two results from him - he did NOT want to give me these - tsh now 0.8 ( was 150 ) and t4 - 17 - does this shed light.
    male dr also told me that thyroid DOES NOT cause speech problems, and memory / brain problems - i have to keep an open mind, and await consultant appt in a few weeks. but to keep an open mind - could be phycosymatic or im having panic attacks.
    im so angry - should have waited to see my usual lady dr who is much more understanding, and does not think im putting it on !
    it would be great if you could come up with something, i could take and show her on monday !
    many thanks ! - you are a lifesaver !

Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TSH 0.8 is not bad it is in the optimum range.. looking at it alone.. most would say Hey you are good quit complaining.. that is why we need the actual hormone levels to compare with.. the T4 of seventeen is HIGH. My T4 range and most standard T4 ranges have a top range about 12-13.. you are over the top. I am betting if you are an average converter that your T3 levels are over the top as well.

So in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to cut back your medication a bit. If your T3 is really high then it could be your trouble maker. Your MD sounds like a donkey. I would be looking for another one. When someone tells me this can not result in that when their a re millions that can refute him.. he needs a good boot placed some where dark.

Go back to the one that listens and get the ranges to go with your numbers also request FT3 and FT4 confirmation of the results since the seem high too you. Then ask about testing for a lurking thyroid autoimmune disorder.

Wishing you the best.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-26-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Closed Thread