It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Optimal Vit D level

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User
    Optimal Vit D level

I had some blood drawn today, and want to go in Friday to get the results being as knowledge as possible. I told the doc (student health center on a college campus) exactly what tests I wanted, and she wrote the script, no questions asked. I asked for a TSH, FT3, FT4, ferritin, and Vit D. I know about where the first 4 should be, but not really with the Vit D. And I dont want to necessarily just go by the ranges either because i know that ferritin says that 10 is "normal", but you really need to be 70-90 (thanks to whoever posted that here). If it makes any difference, I am a 19 y.o. female, dx'd with hypO 4 months ago, Hashi's a month and a half ago. What would be an optimal range for my Vit D level to be at...? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Re: Optimal Vit D level

I can't tell you absolute optimal but I am sure someone else can. I have read that recent studies have moved the absolute minimum threshold to 32ng/mL.
    My result was 19.9ng/mL (32-100ng/mL)) and I am currently taking 50,000IU weekly (first two weeks the same amount twice weekly). I just am not sure how much above 32 would be optimal. I would love for an informed person to answer as well. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-25-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

Just doing a bump on this as I go to the doc tomorrow to find out my results.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

I did a little bit of looking around, and found the following:

Optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D values are:
    45-50 ng/ml or
    115-128 nmol/l

Normal 25-hydroxyvitamin D lab values are:
    20-56 ng/ml
    50-140 nmol/l

Your vitamin D level should NEVER be below 32 ng/ml. Any levels below 20 ng/ml are considered serious defiency states and will increase your risk of breast and prostate cancer and autoimmune diseases like MS and rheumatoid arthritis.

I don't know how accurate this is, but at this guy knows that "normal" and optimal are different.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

That is exactly what I was told when my levels were so low! Actually I was quite shocked but was having so much bone and muscle pain and also VERY slow healing fracture. I have also noticed on my copy of the blood test that it says "Recent studies consider the lower limit of 32ng/mL to be a threshold for optimal health". I was in the sun a LOT and quite a bit of time without sunscreen. At least in the summer there was sun. I wonder what will happen now that we have started the rainy season here in the Pacific Northwest!
    You could also ask on the "Vitamins and Supplements" board.
    I am anxious to hear what comes of your appointment tomorrow. PLEASE post. Thanks, Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-25-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

My vit D was at 13 the first time it was tested. Doc started me on 2000IU of vit D every day and 15 minutes of sun exposure with no sunscreen. Since the weather has turned here in the northeast, I've since upped my vit D to 4000IU a day. Hoping that will help with some of the seasonal depression I get every year. The last time my D was tested, it was up to 28. Optimal levels are between 40-65.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Thanks for posting the info you found, dreamgirl. I had no idea what the optimum is supposed to be. My own D level was 30 when first tested, on a scale of 20-100. It was 37 after about 3 months of supplementation. I'm gaining a little ground with my supplement, I suppose.
    Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
    talbet0729
    (female)

talbet0729 HB User

I just had my Vit D tested at it was 29. The doctor didn't tell me that it was low. I had to figure that out on my own. Anyway, I am wanting to supplement to get it up, but I've read that Vit D is one that you can overdose on. Does anybody know how much I can safely supplement each day? How much does everybody take each day?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Midwest....How much Vit D are you taking @ day?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

My doc told me to be sure to get 2000 units a day from supplements.
    I confess, I haven't been faithful to that recommendation on most days, which may be why my level increase was relatively modest.

Most studies show that toxicity doesn't occur unless the dose approaches 50,000 units/day taken for several years, Talbet. It isn't an easy one to overdose on.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

The best information that I have found regarding vitamin d is at the Vitamin D Council. The Council is made up of Ph.d. and M.D. professionals who have an expertise in vitamin d .The council members are on the staff of major universities The information is eye opening and the council apparently has been pushing to increase recommended daily intake levels of vit d for some time.Information is provided regarding daily dose and optimal levels as well as extensive research and research links regarding the important role of vitamin d deficiency in many disease conditions. There is also discussion of how vit d is made in the body and the role of the sun. Very good reading, I cannot recommend this too highly. A little looking should answer most if not all of your vit d questions.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

My endo just told me most women are deficient in vitamin D and it's got nothing to do with thyroid,why we are. I started taking 1,000 about a month or 2 ago and feel less shoulder and neck pain, it's supposed to help with pain, so ladies ask your doc and get a test,I'm going to.

Closed Thread