It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid to Hyper Crisis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
    shakorox
    (male)

shakorox HB User
    Unhappy Hypothyroid to Hyper Crisis

My husband usually uses this login, so please know I am a woman, not a man.

This may be a long story, but all input is needed and appreciated. I have been severly Hoshi hypo for 5 years. I went from 130 lbs to 160 lbs. in that time. I was on .50 mcg of synthroid to .137 mcg of synthroid. I have lost 20 lbs within the past year (it was not rapid loss; I just stopped eating junk and fast food, exercise). About six weeks ago I began to feel light headed, jittery, I would wake up in the middle of the night with panic attacks and palpatations--ready to make my husband take me to the hospital--until he would settle me down with caring words and rock me back to sleep. I decided it was time to have my thyroid levels tested. My TSH came back as 0.03; my T4 1.08; my T3 84.40. I saw my endo and he reduced my synthroid dose to .112mcg and advised my labs to be retested that day and again in six weeks. The only number to change was my TSH and that was 0.06. He also said that it would take 4 to 6 weeks for my levels to even out. So, essentially I am hyperthyroid now until my levels return to normal? I am still having panic attacks, anxiety, uncontrolable crying and mood swings, depression. I saw my PCP and she has me on clonopin 1mg BID PRN for anxiety; it is usually used to control seizure conditions and bipolar disorders, bit for me it is used for calming. It has helped, but I am unable to take a full dose, as it makes me tired--so at work I am useless. Then my husband has heard of the term "thyroid storm" and is almost convinced that is what I am going through right now. But what I am reading about thyroid storms is freaking scary. I just do'nt want to feel this way for 4 to 6 weeks; it is really unbearable. Has my experience happened to anyone else? All feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks--

Last edited by shakorox; 10-25-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid to Hyper Crisis

I'm sorry you're feeling so horrible

I don't think you're in thyroid storm. One major sign of thyroid storm that differentiates it from plain hyperthyroidism is a marked elevation of body temperature, which may be as high as 105-106 F. Are you running a temp?

I also have hashis, I've been overmedicated too and have dealt with the panic attacks and it's NOT fun. Your weight loss may be part of the reason (there's less body mass to absorb the same amount of drugs) and/or your hashis may be flaring up.

Have you had the Dr. test for Free T3 and Free T4? Those are more accurate. You may want to ask for them. In the meantime, hang in there. It will get better, but your Dr. is right, it takes time to go back down

edited to add symptoms of thyroid storm:

High fever of 100 to as high as 106
    A high heart rate that can be as high as 200 beats per minute
    Palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath
    High blood pressure
    Confusion, delirium and even psychosis
    Extreme weakness and fatigue
    Extreme restlessness, nervousness, mood swings
    Exaggerated reflexes
    Difficulty breathing
    Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
    Recent dramatic weight loss may have taken place recently
    Profuse sweating, dehydration
    Stupor or coma

Last edited by Kharma; 10-25-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Did they test you for Graves as well as Hashi's? My mother had both.. it is a condition known as Hashitoxicosis.. not common, but it does exist. Best way to tell if this is the issue is to get an uptake scan done.. you know you are Hashi's due to your antibody presence.. Graves antibody tests are not as reliable there is a 25-40% chance of showing false negative and still having Graves. My mother literally had one half of her thyroid doing the Graves thing and the other dead/dying and going the Hashi things.. she would have severe swings from hypo to hyper.. and never did a lot of serious weight loss.. but wout have weight stagnation and severe weight gain in bursts.. it all depending which AI was winning at the time. Hashimoto's does triumph in the end. Why? It is the ultimate thyroid destroyer. As a result when the thyroid is dead.. no more Graves.

Weight loss will result in an adjustment of medications. And occasionally AI can go into short periods of remission. Who would have thunk it? I hope you get your answers and get back into the swing of things once more.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Can you give us the range for the above tests you mentioned. You gave the results but not the ranges. Also is the T4 a T4 free and the T3 looks like it may be a total? The ranges will help to determine if you actually are hyper or not. The TSH is a poor indicator of hypo/hyper once you are on meds. My TSH is always in the hyper range, but my free levels are not. If your T4 is not in the hyper range then the lower dose may be doing more harm than good. Symptoms of hypo/hyper can overlap especially if you have Hashi's. In other words, you can have hyper symptoms when you are actually very hypo.

Closed Thread