It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin suplements and thyroid medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Vitamin suplements and thyroid medication

Does any of you know where to look for "hard facts" about having this few hours' gap between vitamin suplements (not just iron and calcium) and thyroid medication? - sites or something? I'm all for being careful with those but there are many that doubt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Vitamin suplements and thyroid medication

It's in the prescribing information of every thyroid drug on the market. When you fill a script where you live, are you given an insert sheet of information related to the drug? It should be there.

Synthroid, for example, gives this list of agents that bind to the levoT and make it inabsorbable:
    Antacids
    - Aluminum & Magnesium
    Hydroxides
    - Simethicone
    Bile Acid Sequestrants
    - Cholestyramine
    - Colestipol
    Calcium Carbonate
    Cation Exchange Resins
    - Kayexalate
    Ferrous Sulfate
    Sucralfate

They go on to say that calcium carbonate may form an insoluble chelate with levothyroxine, and ferrous sulfate (iron) likely forms a ferric-thyroxine complex. [That sounds very scientific, but not in a good way ] It's right there in black and white that levothyroxine should be taken at least 4 hours apart from these agents.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

We have an information sheet in every single package - but I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't tell me anything specific - just that to tell the pharmacy if you're taking something else... (there's much more info with my T3-med - written in Norweigian )

What I was really looking for was info about the actual vitamins and that sort of stuff - is it just a precaution to leave a 4 hour gap between thyroid meds and vitamins

Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm sorry... I misinterpreted your original question.
    There is no interaction that I'm aware of between vitamins and thyroid meds. You can take vitamins without added iron or calcium anytime after the one-hour fast needed to absorb the thyroid meds.

Closed Thread