It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Omega -3's and Hashimoto's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Omega -3's and Hashimoto's

I recently had an appt. with a naturopath. I wanted to have her look over my supplements which are sort of a hodge podge assortment. I thought I would share with this board what she had to say- for whatever it is worth. First, she said I should double my daily dose of fish oil . She said that Omega -3 has anti inflammatory properties that would be very helpful with my tpo autoantibodies. My tpo level is very high. Also she suggested a greens drink, a powder that contains antioxidants equivalent to what you would get with 10 servings of fruits and vegetables. The greens drink was for overall health benefits to support system under stress with hashi's Is anyone familiar with these greens drinks?By nature I am a skeptical person, I am going to do research on these suggestions. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
    boata
    (female)

boata HB User
    Re: Omega -3's and Hashimoto's

I started on Fish Oil Omega 3 and Mean Greens vitamins over a year ago and they are two of only four supplements that I believe have made any difference in my health, the others being magnesium (for muscle tics) and liver extract (for low ferritin). I like the vitamin form of the Greens better than the liquid, as I feel that taking them 4 times a day allows better absorbtion.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Boata- what difference in your health have you noticed with the greens and omega-3 supplements?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

My thyroid doctor told me to take 2g (2000 mg) Omega 3 daily. My husband's heart doctor told him to take 4g (4000 mg) daily, so I guess you could take up to at least 4g aday. My dr. also told me to take a good multiple vitaming without soy and iodine and extra B vitamins.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Shmily- did your thyroid doc tell you why it was recommended to take the fish oil?? I am just not clear on why it would help.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've never read any evidence to show that fish oil will lower antibodies. The only thing that can do that is selenium, only for TPOs, not Tgs. Fish oil has enough beneficial properties without having to ascribe to it things it won't do.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
    boata
    (female)

boata HB User

When I started taking this supplement, the most noticeable affect was that my skin got much better. I have always struggled with IBS and this was one supplement that not only did not make that worse, but actually seemed to help. I havent had a UTI since I started on these, which for me, is wonderful. I'm not going to tell you it was a miracle drug - just that of all the vitamins and supplements that I have tried and discarded, this one worked the best for me. I did do research on it before I started and scientifically the hype stands up.

Even now, when I'm struggling once again with my thyroid numbers, I'm still feeling well. I eat very healthy to begin with = which I think is better than any supplement.

the Omega 3 Fish Oil I started because my brother-in-law is from Norway, and over there everyone takes Fish Oil. Something about free radicals and protecting from winter colds and viruses and helping to guard against SAD because of their very long times without much sunshine in the winter.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boata View Post
    Something about free radicals and protecting from winter colds and viruses and helping to guard against SAD because of their very long times without much sunshine in the winter.
    Just wanted to chime in that only Cod Liver Oil capsules will help with SAD. They have a good amount of vitamin D in them. Regular fish oils; however, usually don't contain Vitamin D and won't help with SAD.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    Just wanted to chime in that only Cod Liver Oil capsules will help with SAD. They have a good amount of vitamin D in them. Regular fish oils; however, usually don't contain Vitamin D and won't help with SAD.
    hi know im so confused someone told me that cod liver oil has impurities and blackcurrent oil is better cna you have the omega 3 without taking the codliver oil she sadi that the cod liver oil can be not so good for the heart and the other omeage 3 is better ?????? love kat i have to have so much orange juice and pomegraites( i hear they are the new super fruit) and 2 lots of iron daily dare i take naythign else i mean what food can give us vit d thanks guys thsi is interseting to all of us, how can we avoid the antibodies going up??? wont this happen till out thyroid adventually diesxx

Closed Thread