It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what sort of vision disturbances can you have with HYPO

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User
    what sort of vision disturbances can you have with HYPO

I'd like to know if anyone has had any odd vision disturbances with Hypo.

My tsh is 3.15 not diax with hypo, but convinced I am this. I have alot of odd vision disturbances. I'm am currently experiencing what I can describe as an closed in vision in my left eye. Making it very dark and blurred. Worrying as I do not have much vision is my right eye.

My Gp (again) says hypo has no effect on the eyes. (MMMM must be my weight again)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    Re: what sort of vision disturbances can you have with HYPO

Hi there,

Yes, I'm having visual problems and I'm hypo (following a TT in June). It's just my right eye - I've been getting double vision, fuzzy images and really bad pain in it and behind it. My left one seems fine - very odd. I too thought that it was just hyper that caused eye problems. Surprisingly it seems to clear up for the first week of an increased dose and my vision is crystal clear, then all downhill again much like all the other symptoms. Such fun!

Fran

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
    david45249
    (male)

david45249 HB User

I'm hypo and I have eye problems galore. Every day I'll see a star-like disturbance appear in front of me and then go away by the time I turn my eyes to look at it. That get's better when I'm on medicine. Sometimes I see a black dot in front of me that appears every time I blink. I have a lot of floaters now and that makes it difficult to see documents on my computer screen. I also have the eye pain, especially when I press lightly on my eye. That has nearly disappeared with medicine. My vision has also become blurry making it hard to read. I hope that improves too with medicine. I haven't lost any of my vision though except during a migraine.

A TSH of 3 or more is hypo and hypo does affect your vision. Search this board and see for yourself. Also, it is rare, but some people have a tumor on their pituitary. The tumor presses against their optic nerve and makes them loose their vision. The tumor also causes the person to have thyroid problems. Rare though. I don't think hypo alone can cause people to actually loose their vision.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
    jdn5764
    (female)

jdn5764 HB User

Thanks Fran & David.
    I'm getting flashes in my good eye, as my gp refuses to treat me or test me further for hypo, as my tsh is 3.15 I'm hoping its a thyroid issue.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
    Bengie
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bengie HB User

pit tumors aren't as rare as you think. 1 in 4 (according to a study I read) have them but most are misdiagnosed (the symptom is being treated not the cause)

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I had vision issues when first diagnosed hyper. I still believe I had 20/20 vision but had problems trying to get my eyes to focus. (hard to explain) Anyway, I was also told I was B12 deficient and the first night I took a sublingual megadose of B12 my eyesight improved. Not sure if this is your issue but worth a mention. By the way my B12 level was 536 (200-1100) which my GP said was 'in range'. However, a naturopath I saw a month later told me they recommend injections for anything under 800.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I worked for an Reproductive Endo for years...........we saw many pituatary tumors 99.9% benign and needed to be left alone......... they are very common.......they can cause your breasts to leak and infertility........they give you Parlodel to take for them.........but most did not need any intervention.

Visual disturbances can be hormonal so it makes sense they can happen from flux in thyroid...........I had my first SCARY visual disturbance caused from a migraine ( I never got the headache part) when I started into pre menopause. I finall saw the pattern they happened about a day before my periods...they eventually went away but were very frightening......

When we get this all figured out we can write a book for others !!!!

Oleander

Closed Thread